Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 07:35 PM   #2221
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
That is not what you argued. You argued a new owner would not even offer to negotiate at all with the city.
A new owner is not going to BECOME a new owner without the bulk of the negotiations having already taken place.

‘Here, I want to sell you a hockey team for half a billion dollars… plus you may or may not have to spend up to $450 million more of your own money for it to have a place to play, I can't tell you how much because I don't have that part of the deal worked out.’

Does that strike you as a sane sales pitch, or one that you would accept if you had a billion dollars in your back pocket?
Old 07-19-2018, 08:20 PM   #2222
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Take this to the other thread. Has absolutely nothing to do with trade speculation.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:28 PM   #2223
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
Take this to the other thread. Has absolutely nothing to do with trade speculation.
Trading Murray Edwards for Unknown Billionaire seems like trade speculation to me
Old 07-19-2018, 08:48 PM   #2224
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Man I feel bad for Hanifin as this place is going to be hard on him when many here see the reality that he's still work in progress and likely will not live up to early expectations. He's been playing sheltered minutes in Carolina and is still not very good defensively. Posts like this don't help as it's totally incorrect that he's already a better 3 zone defender than Hamilton. He could end up the better defenseman long term but right now he's clearly not and the verdict is out if he will ever be. Obviously the Hurricanes didn't think he was going to be and they have a better handle on him than anyone else.
This type of argument comes up on many, if not most trades. And it is not only baseless, but is completely self-defeating.

Because the exact opposite thing can also be said: obviously the Flames think he will be, and they have a better handle on Hamilton than anyone else.

Both sides of that argument are equally pointless. Assessing how players will develop going forward is not an exact science. Different people have different views. And every team has professional scouts. It's not like the Flames don't know exactly what Hanifin is, and the Hurricanes don't know exactly what Hamilton is, of course they do (both sides).

The reason trades happen is that views can differ. There are people on this forum that think Hamilton is one of the 10 best defensemen in the league. And there are others, who have been watching him for the same 3 seasons, that are, shall we say, extremely happy he was traded. GMs have differing opinions too.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:38 PM   #2225
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
This type of argument comes up on many, if not most trades. And it is not only baseless, but is completely self-defeating.

Because the exact opposite thing can also be said: obviously the Flames think he will be, and they have a better handle on Hamilton than anyone else.

Both sides of that argument are equally pointless. Assessing how players will develop going forward is not an exact science. Different people have different views. And every team has professional scouts. It's not like the Flames don't know exactly what Hanifin is, and the Hurricanes don't know exactly what Hamilton is, of course they do (both sides).

The reason trades happen is that views can differ. There are people on this forum that think Hamilton is one of the 10 best defensemen in the league. And there are others, who have been watching him for the same 3 seasons, that are, shall we say, extremely happy he was traded. GMs have differing opinions too.
Well yeah. The Flames really liked Lindholm and Hanafin and had the opportunity to get both of them at the cost of Hamilton who maybe wasn't a good fit in the locker room or maybe the GM soured on him. The Flames know Hamilton a lot better than the Hurricanes do just as they know Hanafin better than the Flames do. They didn't feel he was worth the money he was asking for on his next contract and obviously felt Hamilton was an improvement on him or they don't give up Lindholm as well in the deal. Professional scouts don't get to see behind the scenes and they don't see a player nearly as much as the team he plays for. It's not even close as if it was that easy for pro scouts every trade should be a win/win for both team which is rarely the case a lot of teams don't end up receiving what they thought they were getting.

I'm not debating whether Hanafin may end up better as that's still to be determined but the argument here is that Hanafin is somehow better than Hamilton in 3 zones which is simply wrong as we all know there is a handful of posters that had it in for Hamilton and this is just their way of kicking him on the way out. I don't own a Hamilton jersey but personally he met my expectations as despite not being properly utilized on the powerplay he was over 40 points, double digit goals, and was an advanced stats darling in his three seasons. I mean he's received Norris votes the past two seasons so despite what some jaded fans may believe a lot of people think he's pretty good while Hanafin has been just okay playing sheltered minutes for the Hurricanes. Sure I wasn't a fan of some of his bad penalties but I think too many fans expected him to become Chris Pronger when he's not that kind of guy. He's a more offensively gifted Jay Bouwmeester and that's IMO a very good player.

I kind of found it odd that Craig Button was not a fan of this trade for the Flames. I would think he and his brother talk and if Hamilton was a problem that he would have knowledge of that and wouldn't have been as critical of the Flames.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 07-19-2018 at 11:48 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2018, 12:09 AM   #2226
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey Erick I have a signed Hamilton if you ARE interested in a jersey of his
Old 07-20-2018, 02:46 AM   #2227
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think what needs to be considered is Calgary did have a slight edge in unside knowledge about the players they were trading for more so than Carolina had of the players they were trading for. This can’t be overlooked IMO and gives me a greater hope that this trade could turn out to be an absolute gem, especially after we see what Hanifin’s new contract is.

In 2 years time Hamilton is going to be getting Doughty type money or in the ballpark and I just don’t think he’s worth that. He was more than a solid player for us but I don’t see him being a franchise player for us and not at that kind of term and money. If we can lock Hanifin up long term at a reasonable AAV while improving our RW depth considerably I don’t see how that’s not a big win for Calgary and our cap structure moving forward.

Both teams got what they needed in this trade and addressed multiple specific team needs at least on face value which is rare to see even before play determines who ultimately won the deal.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:18 AM   #2228
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the starting point is that the typical two teams in a trade have better knowledge of the player they are trading away, then Calgary might have the edge in this one because of Peters. It's inconceivable that Treliving doesn't consult Peters before making this deal.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2018, 08:30 AM   #2229
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Listening to Pat Maroon on a podcast this morning was interesting that he said he didn't get a single offer besides the STL one. Not even a phone call interview to see what he would be looking for or anything like that. Was hoping for a 3-4 year 12-16 million dollar deal. Partly led to him getting a new agent I think.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:32 AM   #2230
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Far be it from me to call him a liar...
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2018, 08:36 AM   #2231
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I don't know, Maroon isn't the best but he is better than most other UFA's out there this year. I find it hard to believe not even one phone call. I think there is a little bit of embellishment going on, perhaps his (old) agent didn't even let him know about lowball offers.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:40 AM   #2232
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I don't know, Maroon isn't the best but he is better than most other UFA's out there this year. I find it hard to believe not even one phone call. I think there is a little bit of embellishment going on, perhaps his (old) agent didn't even let him know about lowball offers.
The guy signed for 1.75 million on a 1 year deal though. Even if you want to be close to your son you are leaving a ton of money on the table that would set your son up for life.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:47 AM   #2233
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Listening to Pat Maroon on a podcast this morning was interesting that he said he didn't get a single offer besides the STL one. Not even a phone call interview to see what he would be looking for or anything like that. Was hoping for a 3-4 year 12-16 million dollar deal. Partly led to him getting a new agent I think.
Catching on that you're a big Spittin Chiclets fan!
Old 07-20-2018, 08:49 AM   #2234
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Eric D had the Flames as being close to Maroon as did Andy Strickland and then recently the GM of the Devils suggested they offered Maroon more than he got in St. Louis.

How does all that happen without a single phone call?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2018, 08:50 AM   #2235
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Eric D had the Flames as being close to Maroon as did Andy Strickland and then recently the GM of the Devils suggested they offered Maroon more than he got in St. Louis.

How does all that happen without a single phone call?
His agent probably vetted it. Which means his old agent may not have been telling him things, but that could be for a number of reasons we will likely never know.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:07 AM   #2236
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Catching on that you're a big Spittin Chiclets fan!
Haha yah, its entertaining and I love good entertainment. I have met Biz a few times too and he is a really nice guy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
bax
Old 07-20-2018, 10:13 AM   #2237
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Haha yah, its entertaining and I love good entertainment. I have met Biz a few times too and he is a really nice guy.

I’m with you! One of my favorite hockey podcasts where you actually hear some fun stories where guys are more “off the record”.

Whitney is surprisingly hilarious as well.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:41 AM   #2238
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I don't believe that. A GM publicly stated his interest, and there were a lot of rumors around the player including Calgary and Edmonton.

Sounds like a player potentially lying to justify why he would take such a low contract to the union folks - or not saying that he did turn down bigger offers in the case there was a "wink, wink, nudge nudge" agreement of an extension with STL next year once cap opens up.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:34 AM   #2239
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I don’t buy that not a single team picked up the phone to kick the tires. Treliving probably would have even he had low/moderate interest just to gauge the market for comparable guys. Lesser players were getting deals not just calls so this is a little too far fetched for me.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:38 AM   #2240
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I just read yesterday that NJ had offered Maroon double what he signed for in St. Louis.
Closed Thread