Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2018, 10:03 AM   #61
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
To your point, outside of the few elite teams in the NHL, every team experiences dips and inconsistent play. The tunnel vision irked me a lot this season because every problem we faced, 80% of the league faced as well.

That's the nature of the NHL with the parity we have. You're not going to get consistency all the time. Playing a full 60 minutes is hard because the other is just as good and is paid to win too. Every team can be fragile. Imagine how insane LA fans went when they went from #1 in their division for the first couple months to outside of the playoffs in their second of the season. It's just how the league was built and the ups and downs are a part of it.
I won't argue that Calgary's inconsistency this year was a little more, but if you look at any given team's board (except maybe Vegas) they complain about inconsistency. I guarantee you that the Caps fans did. I know that the Pens fans did.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:03 AM   #62
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
absolutely, there were stretches where Calgary looked great and then streaks were calgary looked awful.

the fact remains that Calgary was in the playoff until Smith got injured and they really played poorly after that injury... but that lends itself to the characterization by many in the media that Calgary was a 'fragile' teams. 22 occasions during the year, Calgary allow two goals in two minutes....almost like they had lost confidence and were on their heels...Fragile was fitting imo...

my comment was directed to those that uniformly started calgary was awful during the regular season, which is not the case at all... if smith wasn't injured, there was every reason to believe that they would have remained in the race until the bitter end.

so inconsistent? Absolutely. "Awful"? No.

From what I recall, the Flames were just barely hanging on to a playoff spot because they had more games played. Percentage wise they were on the outside for long stretches.

It's still valid to question weather a bubble team is awful though. IMO the results were underwhelming, but the on ice product was awful, if that make sense.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:04 AM   #63
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Just a remark on goaltending in the regular season.

When Fleury was hurt, Vegas won no matter what goaltender was in net. That is what good teams should be able to do.

If the Flames couldn’t win without Smith, they had other problems.
I think it was very evident what the problem was; we had absolutely awful forward depth. 90% of the team couldn't put the puck in the net this season. By the end it, it looked like we had a 1st line, a 3rd line and two 4th lines. There was no chance we could compete with those other teams.

It was a 2 man team this season. Gaudreau and Smith carried this on their backs this season and that's just not enough in such a highly competitive league.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2018, 10:11 AM   #64
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
I think it was very evident what the problem was; we had absolutely awful forward depth. 90% of the team couldn't put the puck in the net this season. By the end it, it looked like we had a 1st line, a 3rd line and two 4th lines. There was no chance we could compete with those other teams.

It was a 2 man team this season. Gaudreau and Smith carried this on their backs this season and that's just not enough in such a highly competitive league.
This. If plans had worked out, Gaudreau/Monahan/Ferland score at the level they did, Backlund/Tkachuk/Frolik shut down the opposition and add some offence and Bennett/Jankowski/Brouwer (or whoever) feast on sheltered starts. And the fourth line ships in every so often. But as it turned out, Backlund's line contributed fewer goals than before, Bennett/Jankowski were ice cold most nights and the fourth line contributed next to nothing.

Now some of that is possibly an off year. We know that Backlund and Frolik have scored more and probably can again. Bennett has scored more, so who knows. Same even for Brouwer although his decline is maybe permanent due to age and the change in the game. The fourth line couldn't do much worse, so I expect an improvement there too.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:13 AM   #65
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I won't argue that Calgary's inconsistency this year was a little more, but if you look at any given team's board (except maybe Vegas) they complain about inconsistency. I guarantee you that the Caps fans did. I know that the Pens fans did.
Exactly, that's what fans do. We complain about our team and never give the opponent any credit. That's a fan. But the smartest people will ultimately look at the big picture as a whole and will understand what the true problems were. Buzzwords like inconsistency, fragility, mentally weak and etc are all garbage to me. Every team faces these problems in an 82 game regular season. Some teams will face more so than others, but I can only hope that our upper management has a better handle of things. Put in the work, don't cut corners, compare the competition, look at what the best teams did and formulate an effective plan and solutions.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:34 AM   #66
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Fans have opinions, yes, but they are not wrong all the time either.

And as much as we want to put the people that are in charge on pedestals, let's not lose the sight that they are the same people that sign ridiculous contracts and make poor decisions that hamper teams for years and years.

We are all human and let's not undercut a fan's ability to be correct on things.

As for the Flames. Has anyone brought a good argument that they were in fact well prepared for each game, were resilient and consistent?

I hope that Peter's gives this team an identity (here is another dirty buzz word) and they play an aggressive game in a simple system. I feel like too many rules and analysis and overthinking were a downfall of this GG team.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:56 AM   #67
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Fans have opinions, yes, but they are not wrong all the time either.

And as much as we want to put the people that are in charge on pedestals, let's not lose the sight that they are the same people that sign ridiculous contracts and make poor decisions that hamper teams for years and years.

We are all human and let's not undercut a fan's ability to be correct on things.

As for the Flames. Has anyone brought a good argument that they were in fact well prepared for each game, were resilient and consistent?

I hope that Peter's gives this team an identity (here is another dirty buzz word) and they play an aggressive game in a simple system. I feel like too many rules and analysis and overthinking were a downfall of this GG team.
Nobody has an answer this because no one here is a professional coach. The Flames' upper management group probably doesn't even have the answer to the question.

Everyone can be as optimistic as they want on Peters, I think he's the exact same coach as Gulutzan. Just look at what Hurricane's journalist Luke Decock said about Peters: No identity, Couldn’t get most out of its players, Very technical, Plays soft, Mediocre special teams. That's all anybody said here as well.

I ultimately don't really care who coaches this team though. Brad was always going to hire a clone of GG, I already knew that. But any coach he hires doesn't stand a chance with out the right personnel. If our competition (i.e. Vegas, Winnipeg and etc) has three - 2nd lines, then Brad Treliving needs to go out and figure a way to do the same. That's the only way I see us competing with them and beating them in a 7 game series.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:59 PM   #68
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
From what I recall, the Flames were just barely hanging on to a playoff spot because they had more games played. Percentage wise they were on the outside for long stretches.

It's still valid to question weather a bubble team is awful though. IMO the results were underwhelming, but the on ice product was awful, if that make sense.
it does make sense.

i think the flames are a marginal playoff team, with a lot of warts... so things have to break right for them to make the playoffs...

unfortunately, they are not so bad as to expect a immediate shot in the arm via the draft...unless the light suddenly turns on for Bennett, or Janko is as good as some people project he'll be, the only other way this roster gets better is via trade or UFA.

i am hopeful Peters can make a big difference, but am saying that is the most likely outcome either..
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:56 PM   #69
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
it does make sense.

i think the flames are a marginal playoff team, with a lot of warts... so things have to break right for them to make the playoffs...

unfortunately, they are not so bad as to expect a immediate shot in the arm via the draft...unless the light suddenly turns on for Bennett, or Janko is as good as some people project he'll be, the only other way this roster gets better is via trade or UFA.

i am hopeful Peters can make a big difference, but am saying that is the most likely outcome either..
Outside of real surprises only a couple teams each year get a shot in the arm from the draft, and unless they got really lucky with bingo balls, it wasn't going to be the Flames. Monahan and Tkachuk are themselves really big anomalies, and even they made the team on lower lines.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:31 AM   #70
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not am immediate shot in the arm, no. But it's not all about the next season either.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote