Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum

View Poll Results: Why have the Baby Flames fallen out of the playoff race?
rookie coach getting schooled 3 2.83%
injuries 2 1.89%
promotions to the Flames 22 20.75%
Ortio getting hurt (goalies .895 in his absence) 72 67.92%
Knight and Baertschi deals (chemistry) 2 1.89%
Schedule (gaps/no gaps) 0 0%
Other that this dude from Calgary missed? 5 4.72%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-05-2015, 05:57 PM   #21
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
Ortio injury and promotions. There is no doubt that was a playoff team before all the call ups and Ortio injury.
Every team deals with call-ups, there isn't an AHL team around that doesn't lose their top players unless they are on AHL deals.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:04 PM   #22
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

A dozen games against the Utica Comets cost ADK a playoff spot.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:16 PM   #23
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

THey killed this guy. As soon as they did that they were cursed and doomed. Good!

dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:18 PM   #24
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Oh, and another important one...

5) lack of AHL veterans. If you look at Utica for example, they are laden with career AHLers. Toronto under Eakins or Texas or Grand Rapids - they all have/had tons of AHL vets that can dominate the 20 year olds.

The Flames were seriously devoid of these types of players. And I have absolutely no problem with that. The Flames have tons of young prospects that need ice-time. I would rather them lose with a bunch of prospects, then win with a bunch of career AHLers.
I somewhat disagree with this. I think there needs to be a good balance of AHL vets and prospects. Playing for a winning team (as long as they are being used and aren't buried behind the vets) can be incredibly good for prospects.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:42 PM   #25
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
I somewhat disagree with this. I think there needs to be a good balance of AHL vets and prospects. Playing for a winning team (as long as they are being used and aren't buried behind the vets) can be incredibly good for prospects.
Well yeah, good point but in our situation with many prospects we can't send half down to the ECHL so we can hire a bunch of vets. The main job of our AHL team is to develop our players with winning being secondary. Sucks for us AHL fans but that's the way it is.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:56 PM   #26
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Is there any proof that this matters at all?

Its nice to say... but for the most part the better AHL teams are team's that need to fill out their roster with expensive AHL vets rather than team's full of prospects.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:26 PM   #27
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You know... they didn't make the playoffs but all things considered I'm not sure the season was a failure.

You've got a rookie coach, a squad full of rookies, a new building, a new city, a new set of rivals to some degree. Talk about a steep learning curve.

The Adirondack Flames also suffer from as said above their best players being legit prospects that get called up every time they go on a tear. Wolf, Poirier, Granlund, Wotherspoon, etc... they do good enough to get called up and they do.

I didn't have high expectations for the club, mostly because of the lack of experienced defenders. I never liked the way the pairings were put together and I think the D was probably the weakest spot on the team, especially after Culkin went down.

No shame in the season they had though. They'll be a year older and stronger next year in a new division with everyone else, I think they'll improve significantly. It seems Huska got better as the year went on as well...
Old 04-06-2015, 09:24 PM   #28
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if knowing they are moving again gets into their head too. Wasn't long after the AHL announced the AHL Western Movement that this team fell off the map.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:25 AM   #29
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went with other since it's a combination of 3 IMO.

A) Callups hurt the team down the stretch, as players were going up and down and it interrupted a rhythm.

B)Ortio getting injured was huge since we really didn't have a great goalie after him and he was huge to their confidence and success.

C) The team is very young and was expected to have some growing pains, especially with a lot of young college players not used to playing so much hockey and a very young d-core.

I think it then end it being a really young team that lacked veterans was the biggest thing down the stretch, when adversity hit there was no experience to step up and lead them.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote