Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #401
hayduke's dad
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hate to bump an old thread but it was my turn today.

My poor old girl was 14. Over 3 years ago she was diagnosed with diabetes and we figured if all went well we could get 3 more months before she got too bad. the twice a day insulin injections and monitoring blood levels were a bit of a pain but well worth it as we got to have her for another 3 years on top of the original 3 month plan. The last few days have been real tough but today was unbelievably hard. I hope I never have to go through the loss of one of my children as I could hardly handle this one. Very tough to do but I am certain it was the right thing to do before she suffered to much. I feel for everyone who has gone through this and is going to go through this.
hayduke's dad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to hayduke's dad For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #402
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm so sorry.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:09 PM   #403
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm so sorry for your loss. =(
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:49 PM   #404
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Sorry to hear about your loss. Look back and know you gave her a good life.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:05 AM   #405
SeeBass
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you guys dont mind a bit of imput here.

I get a presciption from my vet called Derramax. http://deramaxx.ca/

Both of my 75 pound hunting dogs start to have failing joints and especially hips when they turned around 11.

They get a portion of this pill each morning for breakfast.

It is mostly for inflamation but when it looked like we only had a small time with the older one we gave him these pills and we got another 2-3 year with him and a great quality of life too. He went from struggling to walk to jumping up on the bed again.

The dose portion grew from a 1/4 pill to a full pill as the years went by but we are so thankful our vet recomended it.

My older one died at 14 in his sleep about 3 years ago from just being old and the other is now turning 14 and still doing well. I think this a good result for larger hunting dogs to live so well. She is jumping on the furniture and still dragging me along on walks.

It is not a cheap pill but if you can afford it and your dog is having hip issues and such I would look at it.

Last edited by SeeBass; 02-08-2013 at 07:52 AM.
SeeBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #406
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sorry for your loss hayduke, 14 years in a loving family without any suffering is just about a perfect dog's life.

Why do I come in this thread....
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #407
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sincerest sympathies for your loss. Memories can be a wonderful thing.
Suzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #408
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Sorry for your loss. You did the right thing. It is the last and ultimate act of true love for another creature to put yourself through this to end their suffering.
#22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #409
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sorry for your loss hayduke. My Newfie turns 8 next month. At best, he's probably only got a couple years left. Oddly, this thread brings me some comfort knowing that I'm not the only grown man reduced to tears at the thought of his old buddy dying.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #410
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just gutted right now because yesterday I had to have my mini dachshund put to sleep. My Winnie had developed two slipped disks on either side of the first vertebrae past her rib cage. She started to experience partial paralysis of her hind legs on Friday evening so we took her to the vet where we still had some hope as she had sensation below the injury. She seemed to be managing okay with the anti-inflammatories and we were all set to try chiropractic adjustments. By Monday night she was experiencing full paralysis and could no longer move about unassisted. Yesterday morning my wife took her to the vet as Winnie could no longer urinate or defecate and she had lost the ability to stand. The vet recommended putting Winnie to sleep as there was no hope of meaningful recovery. My wife came and got me from work. We said our goodbyes to Winnie and she passed away with her head in my hands. Today, I struggle with not crying at work over the loss of my baby girl who was only 4 years old.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #411
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate seeing this thread bumped.

Sorry for your loss.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #412
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

My condolences.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #413
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
I'm just gutted right now because yesterday I had to have my mini dachshund put to sleep. My Winnie had developed two slipped disks on either side of the first vertebrae past her rib cage. She started to experience partial paralysis of her hind legs on Friday evening so we took her to the vet where we still had some hope as she had sensation below the injury. She seemed to be managing okay with the anti-inflammatories and we were all set to try chiropractic adjustments. By Monday night she was experiencing full paralysis and could no longer move about unassisted. Yesterday morning my wife took her to the vet as Winnie could no longer urinate or defecate and she had lost the ability to stand. The vet recommended putting Winnie to sleep as there was no hope of meaningful recovery. My wife came and got me from work. We said our goodbyes to Winnie and she passed away with her head in my hands. Today, I struggle with not crying at work over the loss of my baby girl who was only 4 years old.
This is the exact same scenario as our first dog, Jake. I'm so sorry, Reaper.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #414
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

It just sucks because we only had her for two years but I can hardly remember what life was like without her. I wasn't in a very good place mental healthwise before this happened but now I feel completely hollow. Lost is a good way of describing how I feel right now.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #415
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Man, as a mini wiener dog owner you have my condolences. It's always my fear with Molly that the back thing will flare up again, and not be fixable.

Big E-bro hug coming at ya. Sorry for your loss man.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #416
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Sad times. Never easy. You outlive them. almost always, so a natural cycle of life thing. Doesn't make it easier because there's a big void in your house right now.

Time does heal though. Remember the good times.

Condolences and Best wishes.

Cowperson
Old 05-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #417
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Reaper, I'm very sorry to hear that this happened.

While it is not much comfort now, you did the right thing. Being there for your pup right until the end was probably painful, but the right thing to do. Over time the pain will fade and the good memories will remain.

I'm sorry for your loss.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #418
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ugh... only 4 years old, that's terrible Reaper, my heartfelt condolences.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #419
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oh man I'm fighting back the tears at work reading that, what a horrible thing to happen Reaper. You did the right thing though being with your dog to the end. It gave her immense comfort I can imagine, to have you there with her.
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.

Last edited by Brannigans Law; 05-08-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brannigans Law For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #420
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rip!