Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2020, 06:55 PM   #81
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I disagree. Whatever team wins this year will be no less valid than the 1995 Devils or 2013 Blackhawks who only played 48 regular season games.
Completely disagree. In those seasons, a season was actually completed in full and not delayed at any point, whereas this year the season was put on hold for 4 months due to a virus resulting in the rest of the regular season getting cancelled and teams coming back straight to the Playoffs.

Completely different situations
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 06:57 PM   #82
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t get this entire “this year doesn’t mean as much” crap.

There’s 5 playoff rounds to win the cup this season, after playing a 70 game regular season. Anyone who thinks this cup will somehow be worth less is beyond all logic and reason.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 06:58 PM   #83
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragomir View Post
Those seasons didn’t have 24 team playoffs and a 4 month break in the middle of the season. This season will always have an asterisk next to it, mostly due to 80% of the league making the playoffs.
We don't have a 24 team playoffs. The playoffs don't start until there are 16 teams that have been determined, just as always.

Meanwhile, the 1995 Devils won in a year where they were only 26 teams in the league. 62% of the league qualified for the playoffs.

Once the play-in round is over with there will still just be 16/31 teams that have qualified for the playoffs. 10% tougher odds and half those teams had to play an extra series of a playoff intensity just to get in. To me that doesn't make it easier, it makes it harder.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2020, 06:59 PM   #84
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
Winnipeg if anyone is wondering. The Flames would have been 13th.
Old 06-26-2020, 07:00 PM   #85
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Ummm what was the point in having the lottery when you don’t even know who gets the first pick? Like I get trying to stay in the news cycle but this is just dumb.

Because people wanted to know. They didn’t want do wait months
to figure this out. It could well have resulted in the early picks being settled tonight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:01 PM   #86
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
We don't have a 24 team playoffs. The playoffs don't start until there are 16 teams that have been determined, just as always.

Meanwhile, the 1995 Devils won in a year where they were only 26 teams in the league. 62% of the league qualified for the playoffs.

Once the play-in round is over with there will still just be 16/31 teams that have qualified for the playoffs. 10% tougher odds and half those teams had to play an extra series of a playoff intensity just to get in. To me that doesn't make it easier, it makes it harder.
Technically a 16-team Playoffs but I think everyone would agree the play-in series is just as much a part of it considering it's a best-of-5 for who gets into the actual Playoffs.

It's not their fault there were only 26 teams at that point. It was still a fully completed season without a stoppage in the middle of it. Not even close to the same situation
Old 06-26-2020, 07:02 PM   #87
Khel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Edmonton getting the #1 pick would just put a bow on the year that has been 2020.
Khel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Khel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2020, 07:02 PM   #88
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have changed my mind. Cancel season!!!!!!
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2020, 07:04 PM   #89
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I don’t get this entire “this year doesn’t mean as much” crap.

There’s 5 playoff rounds to win the cup this season, after playing a 70 game regular season. Anyone who thinks this cup will somehow be worth less is beyond all logic and reason.
There is literally less time between the Stanley Cup being won and the beginning of the next regular season in a normal year versus what we have this year, where every team had more than a 4-month break between the end of their regular season and the start of the Playoffs.
Old 06-26-2020, 07:05 PM   #90
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
Technically a 16-team Playoffs but I think everyone would agree the play-in series is just as much a part of it considering it's a best-of-5 for who gets into the actual Playoffs.

It's not their fault there were only 26 teams at that point. It was still a fully completed season without a stoppage in the middle of it. Not even close to the same situation
A 48 game season is not a fully completed season.

Sure once it started near the end of January, it didn't pause... but it's literally not a fully completed season. 48/82 games is a huge difference from 70/82 followed by potentially 5 more before a gruelling playoff run.

Whatever, you do you. I just don't get the fan mentality of hoping to lose. We may miss the playoffs for another 7 years suddenly, I'll always take the opportunity to try and win over actively cheering for a loss.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2020, 07:09 PM   #91
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
A 48 game season is not a fully completed season.

Sure once it started near the end of January, it didn't pause... but it's literally not a fully completed season. 48/82 games is a huge difference from 70/82 followed by potentially 5 more before a gruelling playoff run.

Whatever, you do you. I just don't get the fan mentality of hoping to lose. We may miss the playoffs for another 7 years suddenly, I'll always take the opportunity to try and win over actively cheering for a loss.
The difference is every team went into those seasons fully expecting a 48-game season and went straight into the Playoffs without a 4+ month pause rather than having all that time for players to heal from their injuries and come back to play in the Playoffs when they otherwise would've missed it.

It's not like this years Playoffs will be starting with every player at the same physical and mental state they were at when the season went on pause. It's literally a brand new season that's going straight into the Playoffs
Old 06-26-2020, 07:10 PM   #92
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I have not watched this at all but according to Elliot on the radio it sounds like best possible result for the flames is no season and a 1/8 chance of getting the 1st pick. Unless they win the cup this the way to go.

There is no way they should be playing so this absolutly the best scenario
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:11 PM   #93
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bob McKenzie
@TSNBobMcKenzie
As long as my math isn’t off, which is possible, the 8 through 15 teams in points percentage at the pause are: 8. MTL (.500), 9. CHI (.514), 10. ARI (.529), 11. MIN (.558), 12. WPG (.563), 13. NYR (.564), 14. FLA (.565), 15. CBJ (.579).

His math is off, right? Calgary has a lower point percentage than Columbus.
I believe AC is right.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:16 PM   #94
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
The difference is every team went into those seasons fully expecting a 48-game season and went straight into the Playoffs without a 4+ month pause rather than having all that time for players to heal from their injuries and come back to play in the Playoffs when they otherwise would've missed it.

It's not like this years Playoffs will be starting with every player at the same physical and mental state they were at when the season went on pause. It's literally a brand new season that's going straight into the Playoffs
Ok. Well that just sounds exciting to me.

Rittich has been one of the best goalies to start the last couple seasons, Gio/Hamonic/Hanifin were all hurt and Gaudreau/Monahan weren't themselves prior to the pandemic. Maybe they come back and look elite again.

Either way, I'm in as it sounds a hell of a lot more enjoyable than hoping for a loss and a 12.5% chance at a pick.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2020, 07:19 PM   #95
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Bob McKenzie
@TSNBobMcKenzie
As long as my math isn’t off, which is possible, the 8 through 15 teams in points percentage at the pause are: 8. MTL (.500), 9. CHI (.514), 10. ARI (.529), 11. MIN (.558), 12. WPG (.563), 13. NYR (.564), 14. FLA (.565), 15. CBJ (.579).

His math is off, right? Calgary has a lower point percentage than Columbus.
I believe AC is right.
What I'm not sure about is whether it's 4 east teams and 4 west teams, based on point percentage, or just the 8-15 teams in the entire league by point percentage.
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedHawk12 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2020, 07:24 PM   #96
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
I have not watched this at all but according to Elliot on the radio it sounds like best possible result for the flames is no season and a 1/8 chance of getting the 1st pick. Unless they win the cup this the way to go.

There is no way they should be playing so this absolutly the best scenario
Except the Oilers would probably win for the 5th time...EDIT I guess its impossible but they probably find a way still

Last edited by dino7c; 06-26-2020 at 07:37 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:26 PM   #97
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Except the Oilers would probably win for the 5th time
Edmonton wouldn't be in the lottery if the season is cancelled, only if it continues and they lose to Chicago.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2020, 07:32 PM   #98
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Two teams in the NHL have never picked top-3.

Vegas, but they're brand new
Calgary

Time for that to change.

A forward group of Lafreniere/Gaudreau/Tkachuk/Hall/Lindholm/Monahan next year might be the best in hockey.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2020, 07:33 PM   #99
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Two teams in the NHL have never picked top-3.

Vegas, but they're brand new
Calgary

Time for that to change.

A forward group of Lafreniere/Gaudreau/Tkachuk/Hall/Lindholm/Monahan next year might be the best in hockey.
I'll give a shout-out to the Coyotes, who have never picked top 2.
They're due as well.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:34 PM   #100
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I'll give a shout-out to the Coyotes, who have never picked top 2.
They're due as well.
Why are we fooling ourselves, Bettman is definitely going to try to give it to Arizona.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote