Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-18-2019, 02:35 AM   #1
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Can the Flames win a cup with Johnny Hockey as the man ?

What do you guys think ? I absolutely admire Johnny for what he has overcome with his size to do what he does in the NHL. However I am getting to the point where I just really have a hard time arguing that Johnny can be the star that leads you to a cup. My question is if the Flames are eliminated in this first round while the first line sits idle. Do you think about moving Johnny ? Do you just try and build up his supporting cast ?

Personally I've always felt we needed another offensive center like Duchene. However at this moment I honestly feel Johnny honestly mite just not be built for playoffs. At this point I really don't believe Johnny can be the guy to lead us to a cup. If that means moving him for a better playoff performer or trying to bring In someone that can take the main load off him I think it has to happen.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahan For Mayor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 02:36 AM   #2
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Delete your account.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:40 AM   #3
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t want to write them off entirely but it sure looks bleak right now.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:42 AM   #4
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Monahan has no speed, he can't carry the play and is soft as butter. I keep Johnny over him. Johnny would be lights out with an elite centre.
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 03:09 AM   #5
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
Monahan has no speed, he can't carry the play and is soft as butter. I keep Johnny over him. Johnny would be lights out with an elite centre.
Monahan should be traded this summer why we can still suck someone in that he's a good player.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 03:41 AM   #6
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan is the only player that can se to score in the playoffs this team can muster.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 04:03 AM   #7
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Can the Flames win a cup with Johnny Hockey as the man ?

Unless you’re a top 5 player you are going to struggle in the playoffs with no support. Flames need to get another play driver to play with Johnny. Having 2 complimentary players on his line allows team to suffocate him in the playoffs. Problem is the types of player we need does not become available often. Treliving is going to have to get very creative if he wants to build a true contender here, that involves him probably putting his job on the line and making a big trade in the offseason. The core as it stands is probably not good enough, we shall see if Treliving will be able to get the pieces to push it to the top. This will be his biggest offseason yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Beninho; 04-18-2019 at 04:06 AM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 04:08 AM   #8
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, we can.

But he needs to do weighted squats, about 500 reps a week, and to have a wee chip carved off his shoulder.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:30 AM   #9
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Monahan should be traded this summer why we can still suck someone in that he's a good player.
He was over a point per game player this year. He IS a good player. He’s just playing unbelievably poorly right now.

Not sure trading him is the answer. Who will step in to replace him? You don’t typically get a McDavid/Crosby/MacKinnon type player unless you draft in the top two, and I think it’s fairly safe to say we won’t be doing that any time soon. I don’t think any free agents will be much better, and nobody on earth is going to trade a centreman who’s better than Monahan.

Monahan is a really good player and he’s the best we have right now. It’s unforunate that we don’t have an elite centreman but few teams do. He’s still a #1C by almost every metric, and yes he’s on the low end of that for sure but he’s still a #1C. The issue with him right now isn’t talent, it’s 100% his compete level. Same goes for Johnny. I don’t see players that aren’t talented, I see players that aren’t interested which might be more concerning.

Monahan said he played lacrosse which is odd because he sure as hell doesn’t play like a lacrosse player.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 04:33 AM   #10
カナダ人です
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What would it take to get Mackinnon out of Colorado?

Neal + 2nd ?
カナダ人です is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to カナダ人です For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 05:17 AM   #11
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Generally speaking, wingers don't carry teams. Rarely even lines.

If there's a problem, it's at center. Monahan is good value as a six million dollar man, but many other teams have players who are good value at 8+ million.

I don't agree we can't win with this lineup... Except I'm not sure if a contender can carry an anchor contract like Neals anymore. He's been among the worst forwards on the the team much of the season, and has been just useless again. Some people say he's a finisher who needs a playmaker, but that's silly. He should be helping in other ways, but he's really just irrelevant even on his best days.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 05:26 AM   #12
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Generally speaking, wingers don't carry teams. Rarely even lines.

If there's a problem, it's at center. Monahan is good value as a six million dollar man, but many other teams have players who are good value at 8+ million.

I don't agree we can't win with this lineup... Except I'm not sure if a contender can carry an anchor contract like Neals anymore. He's been among the worst forwards on the the team much of the season, and has been just useless again. Some people say he's a finisher who needs a playmaker, but that's silly. He should be helping in other ways, but he's really just irrelevant even on his best days.

Patrick Kane has always driven his line and the offence for his team.

Johnny compares to Kane in many ways, but he certainly doesn’t have his compete level and the ability to play through tough times and rise to the occasion. Of course, while Kane is considered small, he’s no where close to Johnny small.

The biggest difference is that Kane always had such a stellar supporting cast which meant teams couldn’t simply key in entirely on Kane.

But Kane would play better the more teams tried to get him off his game.

Johnny may eventually get to that stage, but he seems light years away from that now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 05:29 AM   #13
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Patrick Kane has always driven his line and the offence for his team.

Johnny compares to Kane in many ways, but he certainly doesn’t have his compete level and the ability to play through tough times and rise to the occasion. Of course, while Kane is considered small, he’s no where close to Johnny small.

The biggest difference is that Kane always had such a stellar supporting cast which meant teams couldn’t simply key in entirely on Kane.

But Kane would play better the more teams tried to get him off his game.

Johnny may eventually get to that stage, but he seems light years away from that now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kane also has a 10X better shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 05:41 AM   #14
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The real problem is Monahan. He’s not a bad player, but he’s not a true number one centre. He’s slow and not very creative with the puck. He does have a great shot and he’s decent value for what the Flames are paying him. But he’s one of the weaker number one Cs in the league.

There’s no easy fix unfortunately. Number one Cs don’t grow on trees.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:31 AM   #15
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It comes down to compete level for me.

In this playoff we are missing one or two game breaking players that can and want to carry the team on their back for a full 60 minutes.

Tkachuk is capable of evolving into that. Bennett has that compete too but lacks the confidence to take his game to a new level.

Do Johnny/Mony/Lindy have that gear and can they sustain it for 20+ games in a long playoff run?

Have not seen that extra gear from Johnny nor Mony other than for brief moments in series. Most surprising discover these playoffs and most disappointing.

Iginla could take over a game with his mix of skills and compete level like he did in 2004.

Lets get rid of Neal somehow and find/trade for one more gamebreaking player. The rest of the supporting cast is quite solid.

I will say this. Smith gave us that compete level on every save. Too bad it did not rub off on our first line.

This thread is therapy...and we all need some of that from what we have witnessed.
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:33 AM   #16
Kaine
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Going to be an unpopular opinion but this summer only a handful of Flames should be on the untouchables list and that does not include the top line. Not trades for the sake of trades mind you but if the offer for a good trade was there...
Kaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:34 AM   #17
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
Someone please unban Love. Banning him for passionately preaching the truth is pathetic.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 06:35 AM   #18
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Problem for me is that two of the team's best players in Tkachuk and Monahan are not great skaters. Monahan is what he is as he's just not a dynamic forward. I feel part of the reason Tkachuk hasn't done a lot in this series is because he just can't keep up to the pace. I feel this team without Gaudreau would not be very dynamic offensively and would probably have to resort to a more low scoring defensive style of play relying on goaltending.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 06:38 AM   #19
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan is injured, and I feel bad for the guy. I don’t know why teams hide that and let the fans pile on in these situations. Last year everyone derided the poor guy for 6-8 weeks and he needed three surgeries. Why do that? Why wouldn’t the team just come out say “he’s injured but he’s still the best we’ve got” and save him the scrutiny?

And before someone argues that you can’t disclose injuries because the other teams will target them...they already know. Players talk, teams scout each other heavily and the other team knows when a guy is banged up. Teams aren’t saying anything and it’s a facade. I’m not suggesting they disclose the exact injuries or anything, but just cut these guys a break so they don’t have to hear about how terrible they are in these situations.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 06:41 AM   #20
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think most hit the nail on the head so far. Johnny isn't the problem - other guys are. Monahan is slower than the competition, and Neal is a step behind as well. This series reminds me a lot like the Anaheim one where in Anaheim the Flames looked a bit short and slow. In this case, they're just slower than the competition. Defence wise, I think they've been just okay - Brodie's been bad, and Andersson seems a little slow to react at times. They can still turn it around, but with some natural progression of younger guys maturing next season, the team should be alright if they can go all in with a faster roster somehow. I'm thinking Monahan, Neal, and Brodie gone. Who'd have thought he goaltending would be this amazing just two weeks ago?
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote