- Smith held them in the game
- Brodie struggled
- Bennett two points and a huge hit
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 01:19 AM   #2
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Agreed. The Avs were better team and full marks for the victory.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:36 AM   #3
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

The Flames have been pretty consistent all year. They'll find it. Better this than having brought your best and its not enough.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2019, 09:41 AM   #4
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
The Flames have been pretty consistent all year. They'll find it. Better this than having brought your best and its not enough.
Very true. Our top players need to step their game up and at least come close to balancing their top line for our depth to take over.

Smith playing as well as he has is an awesome surprise, I hope they don’t squander a potentially fantastic opportunity this year.

Maybe the road games will allow a simpler game - move your feet and win puck battles - to get the first line playing the way they need to in the playoffs.
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:17 AM   #5
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

Peters said before game 2 (paraphrasing) that you can't run around looking for a hit and then get yourself out of position and unfortunately that happened several times last night.

The foot speed of Calgary was lacking most of the game as were the gaps between our D and Colorado's forwards.

Way too many easy entries into the offensive zone last night and this needs to be improved if they are going to be successful in this series.

Need to withstand the first period in Denver and match the intensity for 3 periods in Game 3 and beyond.

Nothing is easy in the playoffs, but they have to step up as a team and dictate the play more.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2019, 10:26 AM   #6
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Something that really stands out for be in both games is that Colorado is playing all three forwards quite high in their zone and pressuring our d; it's creating a lot of odd-man rushes. We need to either do a better job of keeping the puck low and grinding it out in the corners, or play a forward high in their zone to counter.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2019, 11:08 AM   #7
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

To anyone who has PVR’d the game. Can someone explain why Colorado is having such an easy time entering the defensive zone and getting shots off with ease while the Flames are not. It feels like the Flames are trying navigate through a mine field right now and have no speed through the neutral zone.

It’s a completely unsustainable way to play right now because Mike Smith will have to be the best player every night, probably even more so on the road. Personally I’d clog up the neutral zone like we do against McDavid and put a tail on MacKinnon any time he’s on the ice. This guy is dominating the Flames right now and he’s giving the Avalanche all kinds of territorial edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:30 AM   #8
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
To anyone who has PVR’d the game. Can someone explain why Colorado is having such an easy time entering the defensive zone and getting shots off with ease while the Flames are not. It feels like the Flames are trying navigate through a mine field right now and have no speed through the neutral zone.

It’s a completely unsustainable way to play right now because Mike Smith will have to be the best player every night, probably even more so on the road. Personally I’d clog up the neutral zone like we do against McDavid and put a tail on MacKinnon any time he’s on the ice. This guy is dominating the Flames right now and he’s giving the Avalanche all kinds of territorial edge.

I think it starts with that post above you. Avs are playing three high and the Flames are losing foot battles down low allowing for odd or even man entries....then it seems like our D are backing in to deep. Too much gap.

I think right now it all comes down to foot speed, time and space and puck battles (random cliche generator)...Flames have to find playoff gear. This is what it's all about...can your team learn to bring it in the playoffs??

I am wondering if a couple on the road isn't just what they need...get away from the super charged excitement and just play.

Last edited by BigFlameDog; 04-14-2019 at 11:32 AM.
BigFlameDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:33 AM   #9
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

We had many chances to steal this game.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:45 AM   #10
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could see Bennett starting on the top line tomorrow and Peters could consider swapping Brodie and Andersson. I have really liked Rasmus the first 2 games and Brodie was bad last night.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:51 AM   #11
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post

You have to credit the Avs for clogging up the neutral zone, taking away the passing lanes and forcing the Flames to just throw the puck up ice and dump it in. Flames fans are getting a glimpse of why MacKinnon is a top 5 forward in this league. He's the best player in this series and as long as the Flames continue to give him space it's going to make things very difficult.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:02 PM   #12
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFlameDog View Post
I think it starts with that post above you. Avs are playing three high and the Flames are losing foot battles down low allowing for odd or even man entries....then it seems like our D are backing in to deep. Too much gap.

I think right now it all comes down to foot speed, time and space and puck battles (random cliche generator)...Flames have to find playoff gear. This is what it's all about...can your team learn to bring it in the playoffs??

I am wondering if a couple on the road isn't just what they need...get away from the super charged excitement and just play.

Yeah I’ve noticed that as well. Flames D are backing up and the Avs are just shooting from anywhere and then they get in down low and win the puck battles and then cycle.

The Avalanche are an incredibly fast team, but the Flames aren’t exactly slow, so the advantage shouldn’t be so obvious right now. The coaching staff needs to tweak some of their tactics right now because with the line matches on the road, Mackinnon is going to eat up the Jankowski and line.

Old 04-14-2019, 12:05 PM   #13
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Avalanche 3 Flames 2 (OT) Series Tied at 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
You have to credit the Avs for clogging up the neutral zone, taking away the passing lanes and forcing the Flames to just throw the puck up ice and dump it in. Flames fans are getting a glimpse of why MacKinnon is a top 5 forward in this league. He's the best player in this series and as long as the Flames continue to give him space it's going to make things very difficult.

I give the Avs all the credit right now. I watched the highlights of the regular season games and they were awful at defending. They’ve completely flipped the switch now and are defending and competing at a completely different level. The amount of one and dones the Flames forwards have had in the offensive zone is staggering whereas the Avs are constantly cycling on the Flames and not only is it wearing the team down, but the Avs are generating so much momentum off these shifts.

Last edited by Classic_Sniper; 04-14-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:20 PM   #14
FlamesFanInEdmonton
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The Av’s definitely outplayed the Flames last night. The only players that really showed up were Bennett and Smith. Brodie was horrible. Easily the worst game he has played to date...yet it seemed like he never left the ice.

Frankly, I’d sit him next game and let someone else draw in. We have other capable D-men who are no doubt champing at the bit to take part.
FlamesFanInEdmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:42 PM   #15
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

After re-watching a bunch of the game I am not so hard on Brodie....the problem was his couple mistakes were huge and at the wrong spot on the ice.

Just my opinion.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:46 PM   #16
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's not just that the avs are playing high, it's that they have a definite speed advantage in the top 2, maybe even 3 lines.

It's no surprise the avs look fast when they are spending more of their time skating against Monahan, tkachuk, Neal and Lindholm. Backlund is fast but not when he's playing 20+ minutes.

I'd look like Katrina lemay-doan if you put me out there against Neal.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote