Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should CP allow ticket sales over face value?
Yes, allow over face value 260 46.35%
No, face value should be the max on CP 301 53.65%
Voters: 561. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-01-2019, 02:36 PM   #221
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hey just had a question for CP, didn't want to start another ticket thread.

My buddy texted me last night after the game and said ticket sales were online. And he went and got 2 tickets at $160 each on Ticketmaster for Game 2 at the Saddledome.

I am quite confused if these are legit tickets or not since the Flames sent an email out 10 minutes ago, saying ticket sales open on the 4th... Are these tickets legit??
Old 04-01-2019, 02:42 PM   #222
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman View Post
Hey just had a question for CP, didn't want to start another ticket thread.

My buddy texted me last night after the game and said ticket sales were online. And he went and got 2 tickets at $160 each on Ticketmaster for Game 2 at the Saddledome.

I am quite confused if these are legit tickets or not since the Flames sent an email out 10 minutes ago, saying ticket sales open on the 4th... Are these tickets legit??
Your buddy either bought off a third party site like StubHub or he is lying
colbym72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:09 PM   #223
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Very interesting in light of this discussion. Ticketmaster had the face value of lower bowl all in for about $417 leading up to the game. These same tickets now have a face value of $356.25.

Face value is basically now an old outdated non-existing concept.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:57 PM   #224
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
Very interesting in light of this discussion. Ticketmaster had the face value of lower bowl all in for about $417 leading up to the game. These same tickets now have a face value of $356.25.

Face value is basically now an old outdated non-existing concept.

Correct. Ticketmaster adjusts the face value up and down as they please.

They also flips tickets from regular tickets to ticket-exchange tickets and then adjusts the price even more as required to sell them. It appears to be all automated as the priced keep being adjusted all throughout the day.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:46 AM   #225
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Life moves pretty fast.

Start of the season:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Lol leading the charge, Squiggs you poor thing.

If you want to keep wasting your time year after year bringing this topic up be my guest it’s been working out great for you so far.

I have 4 green seats I could easily sell for above face value and would never think to try making money off the backs of the rest of CP members.

It’s unfortunate you think it’s your birth right and every season at some point the drum of your first world problems starts beating.

I don’t see this one changing, so maybe sit back in that million dollar house on the island and let this one go.
Today:

Quote:
Sat. April 13 section 218 row 21 two seats in Flames attack end periods 1 and 3.
Distributed through secure etransfer. $500 takes them both
PM if interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2019, 09:58 AM   #226
ST20
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Life moves pretty fast.

Start of the season:

Today:
He's one step closer to that million dollar house of his own
ST20 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ST20 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2019, 10:08 AM   #227
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Life moves pretty fast.

Start of the season:

Today:
You cry either way.

Make sure no ones copying your posts.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:25 AM   #228
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You cry either way.

Make sure no ones copying your posts.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-12-2019, 10:42 AM   #229
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Life moves pretty fast.

Start of the season:

Today:
$500 is less than Ticketmaster would be charging for that pair, what is your issue here?
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flacker For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2019, 10:52 AM   #230
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:56 AM   #231
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
$500 is less than Ticketmaster would be charging for that pair, what is your issue here?

Ticketmaster would charge you $333.85 for those two tickets. I have absolutely no issue with selling above face value.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-12-2019, 11:01 AM   #232
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Ticketmaster would charge you $333.85 for those two tickets. I have absolutely no issue with selling above face value.
I don't see any greens available that aren't resales for game 2 or 5, so I will take your word for it. He is selling for less than any green resales that are listed in that section.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:48 AM   #233
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
I don't see any greens available that aren't resales for game 2 or 5, so I will take your word for it. He is selling for less than any green resales that are listed in that section.
The point is at the state of the season he was on squiggs96 case about having a desire to sell above face value.

He is now himself selling above face value.

That's really it.
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to flamesrule_kipper34 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2019, 09:52 AM   #234
Sec218
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Thumbs down

Have you guys had any success selling playoff tickets here over face value?

I listed game one here and on NHL Ticket Exchange, and the tickets ended up selling on NHL Ticket Exchange, even though the buyer paid $140 in TM fees!

I realize that TM reaches a lot more potential buyers, but I find most buyers here on CP still want a discount and are not willing to pay over face value, even though they are saving a lot of TM fees.
Sec218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:57 AM   #235
zarrell
First Line Centre

Exp:

No, selling above face value is nearly impossible with the way TM has priced things. CP buyers are definitely more shrewd with ticket purchases. I can still get more on ticketmaster for my seats even though there's $100 or more in service charges tacked on. I think there's always going to be a certain portion of buyers that just trust the main source of tickets and are willing to pay that premium to be "safe"

zarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zarrell For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2019, 10:01 AM   #236
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

I sold game 1 of my STH's for just over face value (per ticket). I think it worked out pretty good for both of us.

Basically had them listed for $200 per ticket on ticket exchange and also posted here for the same, face value is $160. But on ticket exchange the buyer would have paid $75 more per ticket. So in total they saved $300 (I have 4 seats).

The positives are the members of this site get access to more reasonably priced tickets. As a buyer I felt like i was exposed to a bit more risk than with ticket exchange but am happy not to support ticketmaster in any way.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:08 AM   #237
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec218 View Post

I listed game one here and on NHL Ticket Exchange, and the tickets ended up selling on NHL Ticket Exchange, even though the buyer paid $140 in TM fees!

I realize that TM reaches a lot more potential buyers, but I find most buyers here on CP still want a discount and are not willing to pay over face value, even though they are saving a lot of TM fees.
The market for tickets is soft overall IMO, based on a few factors. It’s only the first round and the team is expected to go deep. Very few people want to spend $300 a ticket to sit in greens (usually the sections with the most “value”) that they can buy for $100 a ticket in the regular season. Just imagine blues, whites and reds.

There’s no such thing as a discount. It’s supply and demand. The tickets were priced extremely high to begin with and that makes it harder to sell for above “face”.

Also worth mentioning that only STH have face value. It appears there’s such thing on ticketmaster anymore. When you go to buy tickets a notification pops up saying prices will fluctuate with demand and it was not just for resale tickets. At least it did for game 1. I was looking at G2 tickets this morning and I’m no longer getting the notification. But their pricing algorithm doesn’t appear to be designed to achieve 100% tickets sold, its to maximize revenue. And even then, the FV prices are so insanely high it’s really hard to price above that and find interest.

Edit: the ticketmaster mobile site and app is totally broken on mobile so now I’m not so sure. I was going to ask about this on Thursday and forgot, now I can’t get it to work. I’m 100% certain it said prices were set based on demand. I don’t know, maybe I was having a pregame fever dream. Either way, my other points still stand.

Edit 2: it’s a dynamic pricing notification but doesn’t actually say dynamic pricing is in effect. Weird.

I’m used to getting gouged to attend anything nowadays and even I just laughed when I saw the prices. $200 a ticket for PL up to $700 a ticket for lower bowl. These are not resale prices. I’m talking direct from ticketmaster (but not CP).

I sat in Red 1 seats (row 4 2nd bowl) for game 3 of the SCF in 04 and the FV was less than what 90% of the tickets are selling for in the entire building this year. Yeah, yeah 15 years ago and all that. But still, outpacing inflation by just a wee bit. That’s crazy.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 04-13-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2019, 11:09 AM   #238
ST20
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
The market for tickets is soft overall IMO, based on a few factors. It’s only the first round and the team is expected to go deep. Very few people want to spend $300 a ticket to sit in greens (usually the sections with the most “value”) that they can buy for $100 a ticket in the regular season. Just imagine blues, whites and reds.

There’s no such thing as a discount. It’s supply and demand. The tickets were priced extremely high to begin with and that makes it harder to sell for above “face”.

Also worth mentioning that only STH have face value. It appears there’s such thing on ticketmaster anymore. When you go to buy tickets a notification pops up saying prices will fluctuate with demand and it was not just for resale tickets. At least it did for game 1. I was looking at G2 tickets this morning and I’m no longer getting the notification. But their pricing algorithm doesn’t appear to be designed to achieve 100% tickets sold, its to maximize revenue. And even then, the FV prices are so insanely high it’s really hard to price above that and find interest.

Edit: the ticketmaster mobile site and app is totally broken on mobile so now I’m not so sure. I was going to ask about this on Thursday and forgot, now I can’t get it to work. I’m 100% certain it said prices were set based on demand. I don’t know, maybe I was having a pregame fever dream. Either way, my other points still stand.

I’m used to getting gouged to attend anything nowadays and even I just laughed when I saw the prices. $200 a ticket for PL up to $700 a ticket for lower bowl. These are not resale prices. I’m talking direct from ticketmaster (but not CP).

I sat in Red 1 seats (row 4 2nd bowl) for game 3 of the SCF in 04 and the FV was less than what 90% of the tickets are selling for in the entire building this year. Yeah, yeah 15 years ago and all that. But still, outpacing inflation by just a wee bit. That’s crazy.
You're not dreaming, I received the notification checking this morning - see the screenshot below.

I would also note that "face value" changes for STHs as well. STHs just pay a "face value" at the beginning of the year but individual games that we pay for change in price during the year so we can gain or lose on each of the games. STHs usually quote average prices per game but in reality we pay different prices for every game as they are not all the same based on the teams Tier system [Tier 1 (MTL, TOR to Tier 4 (Devils on a weekday)]. In recent years (at least the last 3 years that I have held season tickets) there are way more games moving from down in price (LA,NYR,Ana, etc) then ones moving up (Iggy game).

Last edited by ST20; 04-13-2019 at 11:12 AM.
ST20 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ST20 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2019, 02:22 PM   #239
Reggie28
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec218 View Post
I had a pair of good blues listed for $250, which is slightly less than what is printed on the ticket ($262), for a couple of days and had no interest.

Cecil made some good points but I would also like to add a couple.

1. I feel people on CP want a low price on tickets. Which is good, who doesn’t want a good deal. I imagine most on CP know what the STH prices are and go from there. They may also be more knowledgeable and resourceful than the general public when it comes to tickets and are able to sniff out the great deals.

2. In my personal situation, I feel the premium paid for blue tickets over green or orange tickets is not valued as much by others, as it is by myself and my seat partners. That is fine, some people like to sit behind the net and pay a slightly lower cost. I would prefer to sit on the blue line and pay a premium to do so. Each to their own.

On a side note, the reason I had tickets up for sale was my seat partners could not make games 1 and 2 (we have 4 seats in total). After expanding the search to a larger group of friends/acquaintances, we found a home for the tickets and decided $200 a seat was a fair price. $200 is about halfway between STH cost and what is printed on the tickets. Our smaller group of friends get tickets at the STH cost.
Reggie28 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie28 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2019, 05:49 PM   #240
Blankcanvas
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I was just reading that Kijiji is no longer allowing tickets to be posted for sale and they want people to use StubHub instead. It reminded of this thread and wondered what thoughts are for the 2019-2020 season for CP?

I appreciate the playoffs didn't go as hoped but I have changed my mind on this issue. I had originally voted in favour of allowing over face value but for next season I would like the old rules to be implemented. I think with Kijiji no longer being an option for sellers more will be looking to sell on sites without commission, like CP.

From the Kijiji website for reference:

"Since Kijiji launched in 2005, our goal has always been to provide our community with a successful, trustworthy platform to buy and sell goods. In recent years, the Tickets category has grown in popularity and providing a successful ticket buying and selling experience remains and has always been a challenge. As tickets shift from paper to electronic files, verifying that the codes are authentic and functioning has become difficult for the average buyer.

To ensure that our community is provided with the easiest and most successful experience, we’ve decided to close the Tickets category on Kijiji. On July 29, we will disable the option to post or repost ads in the Tickets category. You will still be able to browse and reply to existing ads that have not expired. When all ads have expired (approximately 60 days from July 29), the Tickets category will officially be shut down.

For a greater likelihood of success, we are encouraging our community to buy and sell tickets on Kijiji’s partner StubHub. StubHub is a best in class ticketing partner that lets you buy and sell tickets safely and easily on the world’s largest ticket marketplace. Through their FanProtect guarantee and other benefits that address the complexities of buying and selling tickets, StubHub is able to offer full refunds or replacements if an issue occurs when buying a ticket, including if the event is cancelled and not rescheduled."
Blankcanvas is offline   Reply With Quote