Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2018, 12:46 PM   #101
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
I don't take any of your posts personally or as a personal insult. If I came across as whining in previous posts or as some unwashed pleb trying to take a lazy poke at a claim made by a respected poster who worked at a high level in the mayors office than that's on me to articulate my points better.

I don't see it as in-congruent at all. Paying more than necessary, to provide the level of services required, unquestionably means the city then has less money available for other priorities should that be snow removal, a new hockey arena, 4 car C-trains, airport LRT or any other number of other things. The city doesn't exist as a 'make-work' project to give people employment, it exists to provide services to it's residents.

Also to be clear I didn't say gold plating wages. I said gold plating capital projects. What that means is that the city over the past decade has had a tenancy to spend a large amount of dollars for the highest quality of facilities in style and form. Many people have expressed their high amount of satisfaction for this. The peace bridge, the central library, north west YMCA, etc. are examples of capital projects that are widely loved. To that end though I think that the lost opportunity cost of all the other things we could have done had we say built a more functional central Library for $150 million rather than $250 million, built a less lavish NW rec center, needs to highlighted as well.

Especially with the backdrop of the conversation we're having now where there are projects that citizens are advocating for and there's a revenue gap at the city due to the poorer economic and decline in downtown real estate. When you only buy the nicest things, you can't have as many things. The loss of the things we couldn't build should be considered an opportunity cost. I find that's not talked about enough, or if it is it's being addressed superficially and disingenuously by self-described 'fiscal-hawks' on city council.

Good post. I wish more people were able to discuss an issue like you do.

From the other side of that argument, though...

I was in NYC recently and one of the things that really struck me was that many of the iconic landmarks there were built in a high quality manner. They have stood the test of time over many decades and have been integral to making New York the worlds pre-eminent city.

I'm not in any way trying to compare YYC to NYC. Rather I'm making the case of quality over quantity. I would rather we do our projects very well with the caveat that those projects should not inhibit the funding of necessities in a city. Your argument seems to be quantity over quality. I think historically when you build infrastructure and you don't do it with the long term goal in mind you end up paying more in the long term because you have to replace the half-assed infrastructure sooner rather than later. This is short-term thinking and doesn't serve anyone except in the very short term.
There are plenty of examples of cities that have primarily gone this route. The one that springs to mind is Edmonton and now they are paying big to fix their previous infrastructure 'pragmatism'.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:58 PM   #102
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Assuming the Arena comes in around $700m I would love to see what the other $2.3 billion looks like, a nice commercial building costs about $20.00 per square foot to build, these structures would need to be inlaid in gold to come close to that amount of money.

Looks like the area includes everything between McLeod and 1st as well and there's some generous FAR there IIRC and already has some larger scale planned projects (like this one next to Erlton station) which would help the numbers, but it is an optimistic plan as they always use the high end numbers.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 01:12 PM   #103
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Looks like the area includes everything between McLeod and 1st as well and there's some generous FAR there IIRC and already has some larger scale planned projects (like this one next to Erlton station) which would help the numbers, but it is an optimistic plan as they always use the high end numbers.
Yeah to spend that kind of money some residential towers would have to be mixed in, Jeff Davidson only mentioned an entertainment district anchored by an arena
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 02:35 PM   #104
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
The thing is, Calgary has generally always elected liberal mayors. In fact, if you look through the list of former mayors who later sought election at the Provincial or Federal level, Klein is the only one (since the Second World War) who ran as a Conservative. From what I remember, even that was a surprise because he had been a card-carrying Liberal right up until he signed on as a PC candidate.
Make's sense. Most people like public services, they just want to see it and have at least the illusion of control over it.

So local spending is good, while the feds can go #### themselves.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote