Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-08-2018, 01:32 PM   #401
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Peters will transition to Rittich as the number one. But it's going to be gentle and gradual. They will probably go 50-50 over the next few games and then the workload will reverse.

I think he gave Smith this one because the Ducks don't put a lot of rubber on net usually (and they didn't, in fact). And they were missing Perry. And they should have been tired.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:34 PM   #402
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I think Peters will transition to Rittich as the number one. But it's going to be gentle and gradual. They will probably go 50-50 over the next few games and then the workload will reverse.
I am not sure he will given his comments after the game where he said he thought Smith was good and blamed Hanifin for that 1st goal. I am really hoping he is just b.s the media so he doesn't throw Smith under the bus but on the other hand I don't like the fact he is publically telling Smith his play is acceptable either.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 01:35 PM   #403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Honestly, our media is pretty bad at pointing out dirty plays. If these plays don't get a big reaction from the team media, the NHL doesn't notice.

That should have been a 5-on-3 to end the game. Nobody mentioned the Getzlaf crosscheck except for a couple posters here, and its clearly what actually hurt Gaudreau given that the slash was stick on stick on first impact.
The Calgary media has always been like that for some reason. You have some who seem to hate the team but are there to cash a cheque and waiting for an opportunity to go national. You have some who probably do like the team but are too professional to be biased.

Whereas in Edmonton and Vancouver, it's 100% fandom when it comes to the media and all objectivity goes out the window.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:35 PM   #404
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I am not sure he will given his comments after the game where he said he thought Smith was good and blamed Hanifin for that 1st goal. I am really hoping he is just b.s the media so he doesn't throw Smith under the bus but on the other hand I don't like the fact he is publically telling Smith his play is acceptable either.
I think he's protecting Smith. Besides, you don't crap on a guy Treliving may be looking to move.

"Hey, my car sucks. Wanna buy it?"
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:36 PM   #405
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

I am not sure that Rittich has completely earned the spot as much as Smith has lost the spot. Rittich has played some great games but has also struggled in a couple. He deserves the opportunity but I am not convinced it is the saving grace.

If Rittich struggles, do you bring up a 3rd goalie or is Tre forced to go get someone who is a proven number 1 given the troubles he has had in the past picking goalies?

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:38 PM   #406
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Pretty sure Tre and Peters are talking every day about how to handle Smith. It sounds like Smith may not have the confidence of his teammates and Peters is going to have to be his life jacket in that room.

Flames don't have a whole lot of options here. They have to see if they can get Smith to find his form. The team is still in a good position right now, but if things get worse, no doubt Tre will have to make a move.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:40 PM   #407
Iggy3x
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I think it's time we give Kipper Kid a serious look. He's been practicing to be just like Kipper forever. Starting him can't be worse than rolling with Smith at this point.
Iggy3x is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iggy3x For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 01:41 PM   #408
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I think he's protecting Smith. Besides, you don't crap on a guy Treliving may be looking to move.

"Hey, my car sucks. Wanna buy it?"
He's definitely protecting Smith and trying to make Treliving not look bad in bringing him in the first place. Heck Burke may have been heavily involved in bringing Smith in as well. As has said by someone else I also found it really odd that he would call out Rittich for not being able to handle a starting role. Seems like Smith is getting handled with kid gloves from everyone around the organization from the coach, Burke, Hrudey, etc. I don't think anyone outside the Flames market is looking at this situation and seeing anything different than a lot of Flames fans in that Smith is currently not a viable starting goaltender in this league and it's hurting this team.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:47 PM   #409
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

This road trip is now teetering on the edge of being one of those critical tipping points of the season.

If the flames can take 6 points, they are ahead and giving themselves a cushion. But now thanks to smith, and smith likely starting another game later in the road trip, the flames will be extremely lucky to come away with 3 points.

The kings game is a trap game, new coach, feeling re-energized, they are gonna come out hard and its gonna be a battle.

SJ is just really really good and would be a tough game and likely penciled in as a 50/50 chance of getting points.

So the Ana game is 2 missed points that could really come back to haunt us at the end of the year.

So that said, I think you go with Rittich for both games of the back to back, because at this point smith is lousy and not gonna inspire confidence
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:48 PM   #410
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Munroe View Post
I am not sure that Rittich has completely earned the spot as much as Smith has lost the spot. Rittich has played some great games but has also struggled in a couple. He deserves the opportunity but I am not convinced it is the saving grace.

If Rittich struggles, do you bring up a 3rd goalie or is Tre forced to go get someone who is a proven number 1 given the troubles he has had in the past picking goalies?
The thing with Rittich is that his mindset needs to be that he's not here to be a saving grace - he just needs to keep doing what he's done in his career so far and be a .910 to .915 save percentage goalie.

In his 5 starts this year 4 out of the 5 starts have been good.

Last year he had 11 good starts out of his 16 starts, bringing him to 16 out of 21 career starts being pretty good.

.897 (This one's not even that bad. 4 GA on 43 shots against in that wide open game against Boston)

If he can just give the Flames around a .915 save percentage and have 4 real quality starts out of every 5 games he plays then this team will be fine in the short term while they find their long term 1A to his 1B. Just can't put the pressure on himself of coming in and having to be a saviour.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 11-08-2018 at 02:00 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 01:49 PM   #411
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any word on Gaudreau?
Old 11-08-2018, 01:50 PM   #412
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Pretty sure Tre and Peters are talking every day about how to handle Smith. It sounds like Smith may not have the confidence of his teammates and Peters is going to have to be his life jacket in that room.

Flames don't have a whole lot of options here. They have to see if they can get Smith to find his form. The team is still in a good position right now, but if things get worse, no doubt Tre will have to make a move.
Yep. I think Treliving and Peters know they have a problem and are trying to give Smith as much rope as possible because once they stop playing him it's a path of no return as being a vocal and emotional guy as Smith is you don't want him to become a distraction.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:54 PM   #413
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy3x View Post
I think it's time we give Kipper Kid a serious look. He's been practicing to be just like Kipper forever. Starting him can't be worse than rolling with Smith at this point.
Comparing Rittich to Kipper is just setting yourself up for disappointment.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:59 PM   #414
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
He said "Kipper Kid."

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 01:59 PM   #415
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
He was not referring to Rittich.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 02:01 PM   #416
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
Any word on Gaudreau?
Flames said nothing to report for today on Gaudreau as per Jermaine Franklin at TSN.
sec304 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sec304 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 02:06 PM   #417
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I assume Gaudreau is ok. Probably a bit sore though.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:17 PM   #418
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

In his 5 starts this year 4 out of the 5 starts have been good.

Last year he had 11 good starts out of his 16 starts, bringing him to 16 out of 21 career starts being pretty good.

.897 (This one's not even that bad. 4 GA on 43 shots against in that wide open game against Boston)
This is actually really surprising to me - those are some great numbers. I wonder how this compares to Smith's last 21 starts...
Sutter_in_law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:22 PM   #419
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter_in_law View Post
This is actually really surprising to me - those are some great numbers. I wonder how this compares to Smith's last 21 starts...
Favourably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 02:22 PM   #420
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Munroe View Post

Maybe, sometimes thats how you find a number 1(bring up a 3rd goalie). What scares me is that the GAA for Parsons and Giliies are both in the high 4s with save percentages around .85. Its really Rittich or no one, pretty scary for the organization.

Its so bad that Brossoit would be probably be a number 1 with the Flames right now and he is nothing to write home about.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 11-08-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote