Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2018, 02:34 PM   #161
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post
That's not Arizona.. That's Canada...
Nobody said it was Arizona, it's the fact that it's the company Uber. Why are you being the way that you are in this thread? Are you just excited because it's a local story for you and you want to drop all your local knowledge?

I don't understand.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:03 PM   #162
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Nobody said it was Arizona, it's the fact that it's the company Uber. Why are you being the way that you are in this thread? Are you just excited because it's a local story for you and you want to drop all your local knowledge?

I don't understand.
I don't understand how everyone keeps biting at his obvious troll attempts, and bother with responding to him. He has CP eating his stuff up all the time.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:20 PM   #163
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
You have to prove (a) your reputation was damaged by that incident alone; (b) that's why you made less; and (c) that there's a wrongful act under the common law in Canada. And I would bet a court would find that your own actions were a major contributing cause to your damages. So whatever the award was would be reduced by the amount for which your own actions were responsible.
Given this happened in Arizona, that would be where such a lawsuit would have to happen, I'd think. And in the US, the players would have to demonstrate actual damages. Of which they have none.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:25 PM   #164
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

As expected, driver was fired by Uber. He then proceeded to make a ton of excuses while taking no responsibility for his actions.

https://canoe.com/sports/hockey/nhl/...1-459e65db9dbf
Old 11-08-2018, 10:13 PM   #165
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t know. Sounds pretty remorseful to me.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:30 PM   #166
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post
That's not Arizona.. That's Canada...
Did you really not get that?

The team that had their dirty laundry aired by an uber guy has uber advertising in their rink, and you think that whether or not it is Arizona makes it more or less relevant?

* whoosh *
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:40 PM   #167
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I don’t know. Sounds pretty remorseful to me.
Hmm ... right

“Without being specific about the incident, Sparklin said he had not been prepared for seven passengers at pickup and that he was worried his $1-million liability coverage would not be enough protection in case of an accident.”

So he safely drops the guys off and there is no incident. Rather than breathing a sigh of relief, he gets ‘faced and shows them by exposing the video from the camera that he got, which he got because of an incident and for his own security?

He’s only remorseful because it hurt him.

Dirtbag
Old 11-08-2018, 10:56 PM   #168
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you can do something stupid and still be remorseful about it later.

What doesn’t quite jive about his statement is that he was concerned about his liability by transporting a bunch of highly paid athletes around, when it sounds like he didn’t even know what they did until after he asked them in the video.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 03:49 AM   #169
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Duchene will find a team this summer even if he crape the bed

If the coach has a tough year results wise, think he'll find work in the NHL?

This could be career ending for him
Old 11-09-2018, 07:08 AM   #170
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It's pretty clear that he's remorseful about the consequences he suffered, not about his actions. All of his excuses are BS. He said he wanted to show other drivers how rich athletes behave? By being polite to him and having a water cooler conversation? Riiiiight.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 09:18 AM   #171
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I think you can do something stupid and still be remorseful about it later.

What doesn’t quite jive about his statement is that he was concerned about his liability by transporting a bunch of highly paid athletes around, when it sounds like he didn’t even know what they did until after he asked them in the video.
Sure that's possible. But funny how that ALWAYS seems to coincide when people get caught. Is he remorseful if there's no attention to this story and his video only has 25 views and no one is the wiser? I seriously doubt it.

A whole lotta 'whoa is me' in his story. How his life is ruined. How he is worried about his name being public. How his insurance might not cover him if there was a collision. Seriously, who cares? That's not the point of this entire ordeal. Not a single mention of maybe violating people's privacy and being a general creep posting a video of people who are unaware of being recorded. Didn't even see an apology in all that. The driver made it all to be about him. Then he posted the video when he was intoxicated? Yeah, now I feel even less sorry for him.

I'm glad he got busted and his name is out there. People need to realize their are consequences for their actions, even if they think it's behind the anonymity of the internet.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:20 AM   #172
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I love how he terms it as the 'dumbest decision' of his life. A dumb decision is something like, telling someone off in the heat of the moment and then getting knocked around. Or getting really drunk on a Sunday night then having a massive bowl of curry.

This guy's situation is based around a multitude of dumb decisions:
  1. Choosing to pick up more people than his insurance allowed then getting mad about it silently.
  2. Taking the time to take the memory card out of his dashcam.
  3. Taking the time to edit the video.
  4. Taking the time to upload the video.
  5. Taking the time to then tweet the video.
  6. Now further putting his name out there by talking with the media.

What a tool.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:09 AM   #173
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Dirtbag #1: uber driver. Or whomever at uber made this available.
Dirtbag #2: Ottawa Citizen “Staff Reporter”. Wrote a mud slinging article but didn’t put a name on it. Hopefully the team knows who it is and denies further access.
Update on Dirtbag 2.

The Sens have reportedly denied an Ottawa Citizen reporter boarding on the team charter.

Good.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/otta...orter-charter/
Old 11-10-2018, 01:43 AM   #174
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Notwithstanding any of the privacy issues, hasn't the guy got a point about liability? I feel like it would be reasonable for his personal liability to be capped at the insurance requirement, and anything above that should be covered by the people with high salary / net worth.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:28 AM   #175
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Notwithstanding any of the privacy issues, hasn't the guy got a point about liability? I feel like it would be reasonable for his personal liability to be capped at the insurance requirement, and anything above that should be covered by the people with high salary / net worth.
If he has a point it is an irrelevant one

What does liability and his comment about it have to do with airing dirty laundry? Did he put up footage of him expressing his concerns to the players about the number of them and his liability? I didn’t see it if he did

Seems like a jackass grasping for straws, and trying to get some sort of sympathy, when he deserves none
Old 11-10-2018, 06:53 AM   #176
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
His liability came from his accepting a fare with more people than his vehicle could handle. That, in turn, would have left him unprotected from Uber's insurance. He had every right to cancel the fare at that point, even under Uber's rules. He chose not to. That's entirely on him.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:03 AM   #177
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

So I get the whole deal about not recording stuff like that and leaking it. 100% agree that driver should be held responsible.

But to me the comments speak pretty loudly. Everyone complains about their bosses, sure. But not everyone is making millions of dollars as one of only 650 plus people in the world to hold a certain job. I think at that level there is a certain amount of professionalism expected, and if you DO have complaints about your boss, there is a professional way to handle it.

Just my thoughts.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2018, 10:09 AM   #178
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm guessing you're not a 27 year old making $6 mil per year who's been drinking.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:27 AM   #179
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I'm guessing you're not a 27 year old making $6 mil per year who's been drinking.
No I'm not.

But if I would be in that position I would at least try to adhere to a higher level of professionalism and if I had a complaint about my coaches I'd go talk to them and not mouth off like a 8 year old child.

These comments are not normal. They are not talking about coaching incompetence. They are talking about exhibiting behavior found in most elementary schools on a daily basis.

And don't act like that is normal. It is not.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:31 AM   #180
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Honestly Azure, if you don't think that's normal, then I question if you have much in the way of experience in the real world.

The fact that they are NHL players, or that they make good money is immaterial. They - like you - are human. They don't stop being human because you're jealous of their talent and are looking for a way to put yourself above them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post: