Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2020, 03:32 PM   #21
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Hockey has been good. But to the casual fan, I suspect it lacks emotion or the drama of a performance. The roar of the crowd is missed big time IMO
Hockey doesn’t have casual fans.

The casual hockey fans are us, watching non-Flames games.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:40 PM   #22
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The main reason the bubbles are in Canada is because the US handled COVID so poorly.

Vegas was basically guaranteed to be one of the hubs from the moment the plan was announced, but then Nevada saw a spike in cases just before the decision was finalized and it was no longer a viable option.

There's a good chance that Toronto would still have been one of the hubs for a variety of reasons, but I also think Los Angeles was a very likely candidate which was also shut down due to the spike in cases in California.

Remember that there was a lot of talk that the hub city teams wouldn't play at home. The only way that could have worked would have been if one of the hub city's teams wasn't playing.

If the States hadn't gone stupid, we'd probably be watching the Western Conference playing at Staples Center and the Eastern Conference at T-Mobile Arena.

Last edited by getbak; 08-12-2020 at 03:46 PM.
getbak is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to getbak For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2020, 04:00 PM   #23
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

MLB and NBA are surprisingly down in ratings, I would have thought all pro sports ratings would be up: https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/202...y-cup-mlb-fox/

Quote:
The first full week of the NBA season restart averaged 1.56 million viewers across ESPN, ABC and TNT, down 4% from the league’s pre-hiatus average (1.62M).

Quote:
Regional Major League Baseball on FOX (mostly Cubs-Royals) averaged 1.49 million viewers Thursday night, per John Ourand of Sports Business Journal — the network’s least-watched MLB window since September 2018 (mostly Giants-Cardinals: 1.21M) and its least-watched in primetime since Rays-Yankees opposite the Olympics in 2016, Alex Rodriguez’ final game (1.02M).
The news was not much better on ESPN, which averaged 393,000 viewers for Mets-Nationals, 298,000 for Angels-Mariners and 249,000 for Pirates-Twins on Tuesday. Only one game on the network all of last season averaged fewer than 395,000 (9/25/19 A’s-Angels: 368K).
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:06 PM   #24
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, I spent $20 for SNnow for playin and playoff hockey and I’ve gotten value. I also have DAZN and that has also been of great value.

I’ve seen some great games imho and the compete levels have been great!
Old 08-12-2020, 04:11 PM   #25
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
The main reason the bubbles are in Canada is because the US handled COVID so poorly.

Vegas was basically guaranteed to be one of the hubs from the moment the plan was announced, but then Nevada saw a spike in cases just before the decision was finalized and it was no longer a viable option.

There's a good chance that Toronto would still have been one of the hubs for a variety of reasons, but I also think Los Angeles was a very likely candidate which was also shut down due to the spike in cases in California.

Remember that there was a lot of talk that the hub city teams wouldn't play at home. The only way that could have worked would have been if one of the hub city's teams wasn't playing.

If the States hadn't gone stupid, we'd probably be watching the Western Conference playing at Staples Center and the Eastern Conference at T-Mobile Arena.
I believe there have been zero cases in the NBA bubble in Florida. It appears athletes in both leagues have done a great job of staying within the rules.

NHL saves a lot of money doing this in Canada.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:12 PM   #26
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone know what the ratings were like when the Bundesliga opened up first and was pretty literally the only game in the world?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:13 PM   #27
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

I would guess that the non-sports TV is moving online faster than sports are. Why sit through commercials when you can watch Netflix?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:33 PM   #28
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Hockey doesn’t have casual fans.

The casual hockey fans are us, watching non-Flames games.
Not sure if this is serious, but Of course hockey has casual fans.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:25 AM   #29
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

The perfect storm of the 3 big leagues for Sportsnet on when there is not much else to do.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:37 AM   #30
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now that the Leafs are eliminated I would expect a downtick in the hockey ratings as the GTA is more Leafs fan than general NHL fans. Like it or not it also probably hurts that the Oilers are eliminated seeing how RSN pumps the tires of McDavid there's not a lot of reasons for easterners to stay up late to watch the Flames or Canucks.

I'm not surprised MLB ratings are down as this season has been a train wreck since day one and it's becoming more of a regional sport with World Series ratings on a massive decline from where it was in the 80's and depends on sheer volume of games played to make its money.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:56 AM   #31
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I believe there have been zero cases in the NBA bubble in Florida. It appears athletes in both leagues have done a great job of staying within the rules.

NHL saves a lot of money doing this in Canada.
and the NFL would be stupid for not considering bubbling up in Vancouver and Toronto.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:59 AM   #32
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
and the NFL would be stupid for not considering bubbling up in Vancouver and Toronto.
The NFL would never bubble in Canada. Football is one of those sports that is not very practical in a bubble due to the massive roster sizes, amount of coaches, etc. It's why the CFL has no chance and the NFL is probably going to have a rough go at it regardless of how much money they throw at it.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:04 AM   #33
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The NFL would never bubble in Canada. Football is one of those sports that is not very practical in a bubble due to the massive roster sizes, amount of coaches, etc. It's why the CFL has no chance and the NFL is probably going to have a rough go at it regardless of how much money they throw at it.
Why not? If Edmonton and their 3 hotels can accommodate 12 NHL teams Van and Tor, will be pretty easy.

They will be shut down a month into it in the states.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:03 AM   #34
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

NFL bubbling in Canada would be a marketing disaster. I can't see it happening either.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:06 AM   #35
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
how is tsn doing?
hey everyone, we've got poker!!!!!
Old Yeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:32 PM   #36
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Does anyone know what the ratings were like when the Bundesliga opened up first and was pretty literally the only game in the world?
In Canada or worldwide?

I know they werent good in the states, but foxsports was barely supporting them since it was moving to ESPN+
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:47 PM   #37
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

As soon as the Canadian teams are out, ratings will plummet, even the guy on the afternoon fan960 show(Chris Johnson????)admitted that. He said he was wearing a Sportsnet hat backing all Canadian teams, these guys are worried about jobs.

I think it’s not only fans if the teams, it’s Canadian fans who want to see other Canadian teams lose. Not enough for me if the Flames are out, but I would still check the scores.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:30 PM   #38
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Globe article reported ratings for the final were the lowest in years. Less than half the normal. No comment from sportsnet.

Is that your phone ringing Gary? Its Rogers. They want to chat.

Last edited by Corral; 10-02-2020 at 08:35 PM.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:03 PM   #39
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

So many potential reasons:
1) People not interested in watching a winter sport in the summer
2) People preoccupied with summer activities
3) People not interested in the political stands in sports
4) People cutting cable during covid

It's been the same in basketball, and I understand each of the above reasons. Rogers overpaid a boatload for the rights and like almost ever industry, are in a pickle with covid complications. A deal is a deal, and I can't imagine the NHL renotiating with them. They should be selling some of that contract to TSN though.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:05 PM   #40
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Globe article reported ratings for the final were the lowest in years. Less than half the normal. No comment from sportsnet.

Is that your phone ringing Gary? Its Rogers. They want to chat.
The NHL is broken. Super boring unless you have a home team to cheer for. The lack of fighting, big hits have really killed it. I mean for sure it's way better for player safety but huge yawn fests for the most part.