Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2020, 11:59 AM   #101
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
If players didn't want to re-sign with their current team, just because they were involved in trade talks in the past, pretty much every player ever would walk from their current team.
True, but there is being involved in trade talks, and then there is actually traded which is more the case here I think. He was gone if it wasn't for Kadri nixing the deal.

Kind of off topic, but I also wonder how Jankowski took the news. He seemed to be coming along nicely as a bottom six C that could kill penalties and chip in depth scoring but his play fell off a cliff this year.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 12:07 PM   #102
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

No difference.

Being traded is part of the business. Being involved in trade talks is part of the business. Those talks went further than others, but what's the difference from the player's perspective and their relationship with the team?

family
salary
opportunity / team / team mates
city / location

If those things line up for you, great. If they line up better elsewhere, you move on.

Who cares if you were almost traded last year? Whatever team you sign with this year, could trade you too.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:10 PM   #103
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Imagine finding out you were on the bubble for upcoming layoffs at a company you love. And then, turns out you didn’t get shipped out and you get to stay where you’re happy. How is that not taken as a win?
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:11 PM   #104
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Brodie was really intent on not leaving, he would sign an extension if it was offered for a salary that is fair. It would most likely include some kind of NMC. If it is not being offered, then it is a moot point.

I really don't know how much players take this sort of thing personally, but it probably depends on the individual. But if the Flames really wanted to trade him, they could have easily found another buyer at some point. I doubt the Flames were the ones actively shopping Brodie, but rather he was the return Toronto demanded for a pretty darn good player.

I don't know whether we should re-sign him at this point, or use the cap hit on a different position. An argument can be made either way in my mind. I think the decision will be dollars and cents one and won't be based on Brodie as a person or player.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:55 PM   #105
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Imagine finding out you were on the bubble for upcoming layoffs at a company you love. And then, turns out you didn’t get shipped out and you get to stay where you’re happy. How is that not taken as a win?
Context is everything. If I was told by my current company that there just wasn't a lot of budget for my department and I'd have to take less than I'm worth to stay, I might consider it I'm making a comfortable living working with people I like. It's certainly the most convenient option.

But, let's say I have a wife with a chronic illness. And I know there's interest for me at a different company whose offices are far closer to world-class treatment facilities like Johns Hopkins, Mount Sinai, and Massachussets General. And I could make more money to go there.

Well, I might just give it some thought.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:04 PM   #106
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Context is everything. If I was told by my current company that there just wasn't a lot of budget for my department and I'd have to take less than I'm worth to stay, I might consider it I'm making a comfortable living working with people I like. It's certainly the most convenient option.

But, let's say I have a wife with a chronic illness. And I know there's interest for me at a different company whose offices are far closer to world-class treatment facilities like Johns Hopkins, Mount Sinai, and Massachussets General. And I could make more money to go there.

Well, I might just give it some thought.
Yeah I’m specifically responding to the “he won’t re-sign here because he was almost traded” narrative.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:06 PM   #107
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

We have a lot of depth in the D and I think we'd be just fine without Brodie

I'd rather we put the money into our forwards. IMO, that's where this team needs the help
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pizza For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 01:15 PM   #108
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
We have a lot of depth in the D and I think we'd be just fine without Brodie

I'd rather we put the money into our forwards. IMO, that's where this team needs the help
We do?

Giordano - 893 NHL games
Hanifin - 389 NHL games
Andersson - 160 NHL games
Valimaki - 24 NHL games
Kylington - 87 NHL games

Only three of them are top 4 Dmen, and Valimaki hasn't played in 16 months.

I think we need to bring in another top 4 guy, but after that the rest of the coin needs to go to backup/platoon goalie and then forwards.

I'm fine using Valimaki/Kylington/Yelesin/Mackey/cheap UFA signing to fill out the bottom pair though, after bringingin another top 4 guy.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:20 PM   #109
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
We do?

Giordano - 893 NHL games
Hanifin - 389 NHL games
Valimaki - 24 NHL games
Kylington - 87 NHL games

Only three of them are top 4 Dmen, and Valimaki hasn't played in 16 months.

I think we need to bring in another top 4 guy, but after that the rest of the coin needs to go to backup/platoon goalie and then forwards.

I'm fine using Valimaki/Kylington/Yelesin/Mackey/cheap UFA signing to fill out the bottom pair though, after bringingin another top 4 guy.
Gaudreau for Cozens + Montour/Miller.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:24 PM   #110
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Gaudreau for Cozens + Montour/Miller.
Yeah, I'm starting to think I'd be fine with this, Sabres fans would crap their pants in anger though.

"We don't need any more LW's"
"We need those assets for a 2C"
"Gaudreau is only signed for two years"

etc...

I'd also prefer Montour over Miller as he's younger and as an RFA can be signed through his prime years.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:51 PM   #111
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I'm starting to think I'd be fine with this, Sabres fans would crap their pants in anger though.

"We don't need any more LW's"
"We need those assets for a 2C"
"Gaudreau is only signed for two years"

etc...

I'd also prefer Montour over Miller as he's younger and as an RFA can be signed through his prime years.
True but I think Skinner has played both sides.

I suspect the Sabres will make a push to get them into the playoffs. As Friedman has said, ‘there are players who get you in the playoffs, and there are players who get you through the playoffs’. Gaudreau is the former. He’s at his best October to March. He, along with Eichel, I bet, can get you in. I think they have reached the tipping point. Not making, or at the very least not competing for a spot is really not acceptable. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them as an aggressive team this offseason.

I see a fit for both sides.

Last edited by TOfan; 08-11-2020 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:02 PM   #112
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We do?

Hanifin - 389 NHL games
Valimaki - 24 NHL games
Kylington - 87 NHL games
None of these four guys are better than TJ Brodie, and none of them are close to being better either.

Remember when we thought Gio was a career #3, maybe a #2 on a contender? Back when Iggy was traded, nobody thought we had a future Should Be 2X Norris winner on our hands.

Brodie’s going to have a real solid back nine to his career, and unless we have plans to replace him with someone outright better IE Pietrangelo, he should be retained.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 04:38 PM   #113
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
None of these four guys are better than TJ Brodie, and none of them are close to being better either.

Remember when we thought Gio was a career #3, maybe a #2 on a contender? Back when Iggy was traded, nobody thought we had a future Should Be 2X Norris winner on our hands.

Brodie’s going to have a real solid back nine to his career, and unless we have plans to replace him with someone outright better IE Pietrangelo, he should be retained.
Not so sure about that. Rasmus Anderson was just cited as one of the top 10 puck moving defencemen is the league in a recent Athletic article. TJ Brodie was not on that list. Isn’t puck moving Brodie’s bread and butter?

I would add Anderson has a better shot and is more physical. I’ll give the edge to Brodie for skating, but that would be about all. I do agree that I think Brodie will have some decent longevity. I don’t see him falling off. That said, I really don’t see Brodie as this irreplaceable piece. With Gio, Brodie is a top pairing D. Without him, based on what we have seen over the past 3 years or so I would say he’s a questionable top 4 D.

I think Valimaki also has higher upside.

If you’re a subscriber:

https://theathletic.com/1892364/2020...mus%20andersso
Old 08-21-2020, 10:10 AM   #114
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now that the flames have been turfed in round 1, how do people feel about Brodie being extended?

I think Brodie had an excellent playoffs and was our best defenseman consistently.

It does come back to if we are rebuilding or retooling though. We currently have Giordano, Andersson, Hanifin, Kylington, Valimaki and Mackey expected to be in our top 6 next year. Out of those 5, 2 are rookies who will have learning growths, if they find themselves in the lineup.

We lose Hamonic, Gustafson (Do we consider re-signing him?), Forbort and Stone to free agency.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:13 AM   #115
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
Now that the flames have been turfed in round 1, how do people feel about Brodie being extended?

I think Brodie had an excellent playoffs and was our best defenseman consistently.

It does come back to if we are rebuilding or retooling though. We currently have Giordano, Andersson, Hanifin, Kylington, Valimaki and Mackey expected to be in our top 6 next year. Out of those 5, 2 are rookies who will have learning growths, if they find themselves in the lineup.

We lose Hamonic, Gustafson (Do we consider re-signing him?), Forbort and Stone to free agency.
If we're entering a rebuild I don't think there's any way Brodie sticks around for that.

The fact that his aunt came out here and said "thanks for the last 10 years, CP" and logged out forever should be a pretty big clue about what's been said behind the scenes here.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2020, 10:16 AM   #116
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know I started this thread, and this is nothing against Brodie, but they can't bring him back - this team is lost in the wilderness, and it needs to be cleansed. Let everyone go.

Best of luck, Brodes. It wasn't your fault.

It was great watching you play the last eight years.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 08-21-2020 at 10:18 AM.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2020, 10:17 AM   #117
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I know I started this thread, and this is nothing against Brodie, but they can't bring him back - this team is lost in the wilderness, and it needs to be cleansed. Let everyone go.
I love Brodie.

But this organization needs a fresh start. I hope Brodie lands in a great spot.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:27 AM   #118
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Resign Brody.

Trade Gio.
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan403 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2020, 10:28 AM   #119
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
If we're entering a rebuild I don't think there's any way Brodie sticks around for that.

The fact that his aunt came out here and said "thanks for the last 10 years, CP" and logged out forever should be a pretty big clue about what's been said behind the scenes here.
Did she post that? I must have missed it.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:29 AM   #120
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I’m not sure that Treliving can extend him. I bet he’d like to but if I’m Brodie, I’m listening to all other offers. Maple Leafs come to mind and many others.
The Flames can't afford to keep him but somehow the Maple Leafs can fit him into their compactor of a cap situation?

Interesting.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote