Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-10-2020, 04:00 PM   #41
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Brodie isn’t a poor defender. He plays against the other team’s top players every night- he wouldn’t be allowed to do that if he was Gustafsson defensively.

Look at Brodie’s first nine years compared to Gio - Gio has one season that eclipses TJ’s baseline average.
No one outside of Flames fans would classify Brodie as a shut down / good at D defenseman. And I didn’t say he was a poor Defender. I said he wasn’t a good defender. He’s average at D

He is an above average puck moving D who struggles when in his own zone . His points have gone down on a PPG basis for 5 straight games

For a lot of his tenure he has been average to below average

There’s a reason they looked to move him and not the others (Of course return played into it too) - But the team shouldnt make an emotional signing based on half a year for an aging Defenceman

If the term and price is right - sure. 6 million for Brodie ? You won’t be happy in a few years
Jason14h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:02 PM   #42
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
No one outside of Flames fans would classify Brodie as a shut down / good at D defenseman. And I didn’t say he was a poor Defender. I said he wasn’t a good defender. He’s average at D

He is an above average puck moving D who struggles when in his own zone . His points have gone down on a PPG basis for 5 straight games

For a lot of his tenure he has been average to below average

There’s a reason they looked to move him and not the others (Of course return played into it too) - But the team should make an emotional signing based on half a year for an aging Defenceman

If the term and price is right - sure. 6 million for Brodie ? You won’t be happy in a few years
that's just wrong
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 04:06 PM   #43
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think my biggest problem with signing Brodie is because the team is mediocre and has been for so long. Make the playoffs and anything can happen, but this team was 50/50 on making the playoffs when the break occurred. It's not a great team. And signing Brodie pretty much keeps the team intact, Valimaki instead of Hamonic and...what other changes?

If the team is to improve in the immediate future, it won't be because Giordano becomes the next Bobby Orr. It won't be Gaudreau chasing Gretzky's goal-scoring record. We pretty much know what we got from most of our core's peak.

If the team is to improve, it will be from the young players (or outside help...). And while Dube can and should grow, maybe even Bennett finds consistency and stays playoff Bennett, the best chance of improvement is from the backend. It's Hanifin taking the next step, it's Andersson playing in the top 4, it's Valimaki making the team uninjured, Kylington...

I say go big or go home, rely on those young defense next year and take the cap-saving from not re-signing Brodie and get a forward to help them out there. It could go bad but it's better than being stuck where we are. Otherwise I just see a repeat of the same thing over and over again. Fighting for the playoffs and expecting a first round loss if we make it.

If Brodie is willing to sign another sweetheart deal, don't turn it down, but I don't want to be competing with other teams if he wants 'fair' value.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:09 PM   #44
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
that's just wrong
Hard to argue with that ! You like Brodie . It’s fine . I think he’s a solid 3-4. I wouldn’t pay a guy with declined offensive and suspect D 6 million until 35. Those deals rarely (ever??) work out .

The list of effective 35 year old D is very short . Even shorter if they never were an elite player prior to 30!

3 games ago we were willing to fire this entire team into the sun! Now we’re giving Brodie 5 year deals and 6 million !
Jason14h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:23 PM   #45
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

It depends what he wants for money and term. I am fine with bringing him back providing the value is right. Let's not overpay or give to long of term though.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:24 PM   #46
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Hard to argue with that ! You like Brodie . It’s fine . I think he’s a solid 3-4. I wouldn’t pay a guy with declined offensive and suspect D 6 million until 35. Those deals rarely (ever??) work out .

The list of effective 35 year old D is very short . Even shorter if they never were an elite player prior to 30!

3 games ago we were willing to fire this entire team into the sun! Now we’re giving Brodie 5 year deals and 6 million !
If Brodie wants 5 years at 6M a year you thank him for his service and let him go.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:25 PM   #47
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or maybe Brodie wants to be out east (Toronto)?

He has to want to be here, I'd understand if he didn't.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:45 PM   #48
Franchise Player

Exp:

With his family situation, I bet Brodie will want a NMC and I just don't think the Flames can offer any defenseman that right now.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:45 PM   #49
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What does everyone think about extending Brodie and then trading Hanifin for Nylander? Brian Burke mentioned possibility of Nylander traded for a defenseman after their loss to CBJ.

Not sure if cap will work or what that will mean for the Hall talks.
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:47 PM   #50
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk12 View Post
What does everyone think about extending Brodie and then trading Hanifin for Nylander? Brian Burke mentioned possibility of Nylander traded for a defenseman after their loss to CBJ.

Not sure if cap will work or what that will mean for the Hall talks.
I don't think Hanifin gets you Nylander, and the Leafs are looking more for a RHD than a LHD.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:47 PM   #51
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

trading Hanifin now would be a mistake (unless the return is stupid-good)
Old 08-10-2020, 04:53 PM   #52
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Why trade Hanifin? He is young and has looked really good with Rasmus. Good contract, young guy with a few years under his belt, good contract and still improving.

Brodie is underrated by even a large number of people here.

Just because Tre was willing to trade him once in a specific hockey trade that would have brought in a very valuable asset doesn’t mean he liked the idea of losing the player.

And just because Brodie is originally from Ontario doesn’t necessarily mean he wants to uproot his entire family and life here

If he wants to stay, the Flames should be very pleased. Gio has Norris caliber seasons when TJ is his partner. That’s not a coincidence
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 04:58 PM   #53
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Remember when people on here thought Hamonic was better than Brodie because Brodie had three bad giveaways over an entire season

The guy is great. He’s a top pairing defender. Do everything you can to bring him back if he is willing to re-sign after we tried to trade him (in BT’s defense that would have still been a good trade).

Let Hamonic go to whoever is dumb enough to give him a big deal. Good guy but he was awful here for 2/3 of his seasons
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:15 PM   #54
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Re-sign Brodie (Unless he wants over 6 mil)
Re-Sign Gustaffson
Let Hamonic go

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Andersson
Kylington - Gustaffson
Random cheap free agent
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 05:17 PM   #55
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Re-Sign Gustaffson
Let Hamonic go

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Andersson
Kylington - Gustaffson
Random 700k free agent
Too much money tied up in D in my opinion. That'd be roughly $30 million total by my estimates.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:17 PM   #56
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Valimaki
Old 08-10-2020, 05:21 PM   #57
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Too much money tied up in D in my opinion. That'd be roughly $30 million total by my estimates.
No, more like $26, $27 including the 7th Dman

$6.75 - $6.00
$4.95 - $4.55
$0.90 - $3.00??
$0.90
Old 08-10-2020, 05:21 PM   #58
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I figured it's around 25/26-ish, unless I'm just totally hailed out on what I think guys are worth (usually the case)?

Gio 6.75
Hanifin 4.95
Anderssen 4.55

Brodie 5.5(?)
Gustafsson 3.5(?)

Green/Sekera/Forbort/Whoever 1-ish

Edit: Gosh darnit I 100% forgot Valimaki even existed! Do we figure he needs AHL time to get his legs under him again? Guess we won't know until Training Camp

Last edited by btimbit; 08-10-2020 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Juuso!
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:46 PM   #59
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Re-Sign Gustaffson
Let Hamonic go

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Andersson
Kylington - Gustaffson
Random cheap free agent
I really dont believe that OK is long for this franchise.

I mean there is a reason he was bumped down to 8 or 9 on the depth chart at the deadline. Management just doesnt see him as many on here seem to. He is, at best, still a project and with Valimaki still sitting there waiting to bump someone from the top pairing, OK really doesnt have a spot.

I also believe this mgmt. group thinks they have a gem in Connor Mackey which complicates things on the depth chart even more.

As for Brodie? My guess is...he gone. Again with so many young guys already here and clearly a couple more on the way, there just is not room for a high priced dman who just doesnt do anything "great" other than skaie. He is good at many things, but does have defensive lapses you would not expect from top pairing guys.

He has been a warrior for this club at times though...no question there. he has also been blessed with playing alongside a Norris caliber player for the majority of his time here as well.

He has earned a UFA level deal, but this team cannot be the one to give it to him.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:50 PM   #60
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
No, more like $26, $27 including the 7th Dman

$6.75 - $6.00
$4.95 - $4.55
$0.90 - $3.00??
$0.90
I stand corrected, although I'm not sure if you can get Gus for $3 million, but even if you do (and replace OK with Vali) it only leaves roughly $5.4 million to sign 5-6 players, including a platoon goalie and that's with no improvements or additions to the forward group.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Mangiapane - Backlund - Tkachuk
Dube - Bennett - XXXXX
Lucic - Ryan - XXXXX

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Andersson
Valimaki - Gus

Rittich
XXXXX