Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-09-2020, 12:23 PM   #1
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:
Default Dishwasher recommendations

My 15-year old dishwasher is finally starting to break down, so looking at replacing it. I've never bought one of these before so I have no idea what to look for or what brands are good, so I'm open to suggestions
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:38 PM   #2
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Check out Miele. We have a Miele dishwasher and laundry equipment. They’re more expensive but my wife won’t let me buy anything else. They have somewhat innovative designs, run well and last many years.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2020, 12:39 PM   #3
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've got a high end Miele's, but I have to say Bosch range from $650 to $850 was superior in that it's loading capacity was higher and not so finicky about how it got loaded. Run times significantly shorter with a great result.

Also the right dishwasher soap makes a difference. Not to say I dislike my Miele's they are finicky and Turbo Mode runs for 1 hr 42 mins. Very quiet though.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:42 PM   #4
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Check out Miele. We have a Miele dishwasher and laundry equipment. They’re more expensive but my wife won’t let me buy anything else. They have somewhat innovative designs, run well and last many years.
I love ours too but they sure do eat the "finishing liquid" stuff. They also want you to use their dishwasher tabs which can be cut into two.

Also Amazon isn't always the cheapest, ordering the supplies direct from Miele (they have their outpost up near the airport) and deliver is 25% cheaper.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:43 PM   #5
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

15 years old and they're breaking down from dishwashing? Kids these days...

If that 15 year old has a younger sibling, never too early to have them learn how to do dishes. If he/she does not have a younger sibling, it could be quite a few years before you can have a suitable replacement.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to STeeLy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2020, 01:37 PM   #6
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Stay away from Samsung if you can.

Miele was the best brand that we've ever had. Never had a Bosch but I've heard good things.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2020, 01:42 PM   #7
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another vote for Bosch
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:53 PM   #8
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Our GE lasted over 12 years which I was told is good for a dishwasher. So we replaced it with another GE at about 1/2 the price of a Bosch. Our GE from our old house is still going and it is over 18 years old now.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:09 PM   #9
3thirty
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

We have a Miele and love it, didn't even know they had their own tabs. We use cascade or something, hopefully it doesn't do any harm.
3thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 03:23 PM   #10
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Been pleased with our Bosch.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:08 PM   #11
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Another vote for Bosch. Myself or a family member have had LG, Samsung, and Bosch, and Bosch stands about a mile ahead of the other two.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:18 PM   #12
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread from last year has what you’re looking for.

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=172126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2020, 06:41 PM   #13
IGGYRULES
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Bosch is good quality, quiet and a bit cheaper than Miele (depending on model). Make sure you get a unit with Crystal dry if you like your plastics dry. They also have auto open models that help with drying.
IGGYRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IGGYRULES For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2020, 07:57 PM   #14
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We got a Miele and it is pretty amazing. It did take 10 days to arrive tho and they are pricey. We had an old kitchen aid that ended up leaking. I don’t fully understand it, but it feels like we can fit two or three times the dishes in this thing vs the old one.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:04 PM   #15
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

We recently got a Bosch 800-series from Costco, around the $1500 dollar mark. Very happy with it, especially compared to the Whirlpool that came with our place.

Extremely quiet! Only downside is some dishes don't dry very well, which from what I read is a known thing for Bosch. If you have the money the more expensive series have a better drying system that apparently works very well.
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:22 PM   #16
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely Bosch dont go near Samsung for any kind of appliance we made that mistake
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2020, 09:00 PM   #17
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

My Bosch works well for me too, though to be fair I've only had it 3 years or so.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:22 PM   #18
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

I bought a dishwasher today. I started at the Brick. The Brick was awful. The salesperson knew less than I did about dishwashers (I researched them for an hour online before going), and they were randomly organized so it was very difficult to find anything. Nothing was in stock. The fastest ones arrived at the end of August, others not until Sept. 5 or so.

So then I went to Trail. The sales guy knew the machines well and they were all organized by brand so it was easy to find the different ones. At the beginning he was showing me a Miele which I believe cost $1600. He said most dishwashers last from 4-12 years. Miele typically lasts from 10-25 years. They came with a 10 year parts and labour warrantee. We liked a lot of what we heard, but they were smaller than a typical dishwasher and with a family we thought that would be a problem.

After Miele, he said rather than show us a bunch of dishwashers he didn't have, he would go and find what they had in the colour we wanted, but not any of the crappy brands. I asked what the crappy brands were and he said Samsung, LG, low end whirlpool, frigidaire, maytag. We mentioned that we heard that Bosch was good, and he said not the entry model, those are terrible. Their other models are great.

We came home with a Whirlpool that was normally $799 but he gave it to us for something like $720. We picked it up and I came home and installed it (my first dishwasher install). It was less than 24 hours to go from a broken dishwasher to a new and installed one. We are pretty happy. Hopefully, we are happy with it after we use it. I suspect we will be.

I loved that at Trail he was very knowledgeable and honest with us. The other great thing was that they had stock. I didn't want to be washing dishes for a month. Looking at online inventories, there isn't much available right now. Best Buy and Home Depot had nothing in stock. Lowe's just had the low end Bosch which is apparently terrible.
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eric Vail For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 05:27 AM   #19
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
We mentioned that we heard that Bosch was good, and he said not the entry model, those are terrible. Their other models are great.
+1 personal experience
It's pretty easy to tell high end from low end Bosch.
The one I've used with plastic front buttons, plastic front handle, etc is pretty bad...
The one with a full stainless front, door top buttons is amazing.

Even the tab loading drawer you can tell the difference in how it clicks closed.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:55 AM   #20
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Miele is great and all, but it is expensive and expensive to run, with their own detergent and all the extras. I would go with Bosch. If you go with their ~$1,100 range - fantastic - quiet and great performance...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote