Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2020, 05:26 PM   #2141
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Movies!

1917: Just captivating from start to finish. The cinematography was top notch using artistic "no cut" editing and some delightful set pieces to let the viewer experience the horrors of war. It definitely has a Saving Private Ryan in WWI vibe but with a different style and more personal story. The music worked well and the acting was brilliant with George MacKay showing his worth as a lead. Also the performances from Scott, Madden, and Cumberbatch are some of the best examples ever of actors leaving such a big impact in a such a minimal time on screen. Highly recommend. 10/10

Bloodshot: Maybe it's just because Guy Pearce is in this but my first reaction is okay did they try to make Memento as a dumb action movie? This is just the worst with a nonsensical story that crawls along. It kind of starts to get better with like 10 minutes left when Bloodshot stuff happens with okay action but by then I didn't care. I'm pretty sure the actors didn't care either. 3/10

Extraction: There is some really good action here especially that epic scene in the middle. Like some of the best action ever put on film. Also, Chris Hemsworth establishes himself as a post Avengers action star. Really nothing story wise though and I couldn't care any less about the characters. The non action parts of the movie, which are longer than one would hope, are really dull. 6/10

The Gentlemen: A solid return to form for Guy Ritchie taking his trademark style back to a British gangster story. This was fun and engaging with witty dialog and interesting twists. Something felt a little off though and I would have to put this a step below Lock, Stock... and Snatch for enjoyment. I think it's because none of the characters were likable or going on an interesting journey. Well I guess Colin Farrell's character was likable but he wasn't in this much. Maybe we are are supposed to like Charlie Hunnam's character because he is a super cool bad ass with all the great lines but it didn't fully work for me. 8/10

Jay and Silent Bob Reboot: Pretty much what I expected. Funny but dumb with lots of cameos and self referential jokes. It walks a fine line between parodying a reboot while also following reboot tropes. This is successful at the start but falls apart later as the story wanders and it fails to stick the landing. 5/10

Sicario: Not sure why I hadn't seen this yet as I've loved Taylor Sheridan written films and Denis Villeneuve is possibly Hollywood's best director. It is an intense ride that keeps you on the edge of your seat with eyes glued to the screen. The direction, cinematography, action, and acting is great. Emily Blunt gives a brilliant leading performance with Benicio del Toro also shining. I'd probably rank this slightly below Sheridan's other films, Hell or High Water and Wind River, though in terms of enjoyment with the narrative structure being jarring at times. 10/10
Old 08-12-2020, 01:11 PM   #2142
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

One sentence movie reviews:
  • Bloodshot: Should've just stuck to the source material.
  • Arrival: It's Dennis Villeneuve.
  • Bad Boys For Life: All of the nostalgia, none of the charm.
  • 21 Bridges: VOD-quality without the cast.
  • Tag: Worth it for the Brian Dennehy cameo.
  • Charlie St. Cloud: Like a non-scary Sixth Sense, but with the boredom dialed up to 11.
  • Jexi: How to ruin a movie with the third act.
  • Little Women: Quality nap time.
  • Guns Akimbo: A short-film stretched out to a full length feature.
  • Boy: This needs more than one sentence.
  • Knives Out: Excellent while watching, don't remember anything after.
  • Chronicles of Riddick: Sequel please.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2020, 01:15 PM   #2143
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chronicles of Riddick: Sequel please.

You know there is a prequel and sequel, right?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:22 PM   #2144
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Chronicles of Riddick: Sequel please.

You know there is a prequel and sequel, right?
I meant to this particular film and the vast world it built. Not Pitch Black-related.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2020, 10:30 PM   #2145
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
I meant to this particular film and the vast world it built. Not Pitch Black-related.
The sequel was a direct link to Chronicles, but on a heavily scaled down scope. What we need is a sequel to the sequel, getting back into the politics of the second movie (if you ignore the anime Pitch Black 1.5).

What a weird approach to world building.
Old 08-27-2020, 04:20 PM   #2146
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Watched a movie called Blood Quantum. It's a Canadian zombie movie, where the premise is the people that live on the reserve are immune from becoming zombies. A truly grotesque scene involving a baby at one point. Pretty decent overall though. Special effects were spotty at times.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 05:09 PM   #2147
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Anyone else watch the movie "Vivarium"?

Good cast with Jesse Eisenberg and Imogen Poots.
The movie is sort of a sci-fi / psychological horror movie / commentary on suburban life. It was twisted but it had me watching from beginning to end. I still don't know if I liked it or not!

I would definitely recommend watching it though. I think you can watch it on Crave.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:19 PM   #2148
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Watched it a while back still don't know if I liked it or not.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:50 PM   #2149
CactusJack
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Watched a movie called Blood Quantum. It's a Canadian zombie movie, where the premise is the people that live on the reserve are immune from becoming zombies. A truly grotesque scene involving a baby at one point. Pretty decent overall though. Special effects were spotty at times.
Checked out the trailer and it actually looks pretty good! We’ll probably rent it this weekend.
CactusJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:57 PM   #2150
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw Tenet tonight and had a lot of fun. I'll admit there are several confusing concepts, and subtitles would have helped, but I had a blast throughout pretty much the entire film.

I feel like I'll enjoy it even more a second time.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:48 AM   #2151
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I watched The Go-Go's documentary on crave and for anyone that's a bit of a fan of rock and roll history its a must watch.

The Go-Go's the only all female band that played their own instruments and wrote their own songs and made it to number 1 on the charts.
Did Dixie Chicks never reach #1?

Supremes were #1, but were a vocal group.

Last edited by troutman; 08-28-2020 at 08:36 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:23 AM   #2152
flizzenflozz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusJack View Post
Checked out the trailer and it actually looks pretty good! We’ll probably rent it this weekend.
It's not. Unless you like your corn covered in cheese.
flizzenflozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:57 PM   #2153
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bit the bullet and watched the new 'Bill and Ted.'

Have to say...this is not a great film, but it is an excellent 'Bill and Ted' movie.

The right amount of moving along, the right amount of....well...Bill and Ted.

Its not a great movie, but if you enjoyed the Bill and Ted films you will like this movie.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2020, 04:09 PM   #2154
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched the Joan Jett documentary Bad Reputation last night. As rock docs go, it was pretty damn solid. They spend a good chunk of time on her stint in the Runaways and the fall-out from their demise in the late 70s. The film then follows the launch of her solo career and her various struggles throughout the 90s and '00s, all culminating in her well deserved Rock Hall induction in 2015.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2020, 09:33 PM   #2155
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm struggling with recommending Bill and Ted Face the music. I mean, its an earnest movie, and a nice trip down memory lane. But I literally went through the whole movie without finding a moment that made me really laugh. Maybe my humor isn't the same as it was when the original movie came out, but I just didn't find much funny or clever to it.

From an execution standpoint it looks good. The over the top acting by the daughters was more annoying then anything else, and Keanu, well it was weird because he he had an old man's voice.

If I was to give it stars, its like a 5/10, there was a lot of potential but it just came up short for me.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:00 PM   #2156
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be fair, unless you haven’t seen a lot of comedies in your life, the first 2 movies don’t have any laugh out loud moments. I just rewatched them, and they were entertaining, but not hilarious. I had totally forgotten about the gay slur in them, and that was kind of jarring.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:25 PM   #2157
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was pleasantly surprised by Bill and Ted. Usually when I see a 'younger generation hand-off', I'm ready for the worst, but the girls actually felt like they could be their real daughters. IMO they fit in pretty seamlessly.

I also liked that instead of going for the 'lets continue the magic' attempt like Dumb and Dumber To, they actually set out to finish the trilogy as a cohesive unit. The first two movies were bonkers and made little rational sense, but they still did their best to tie a bow on it.

William Sadler was awesome as Death. A couple of characters were shoehorned in, but it was forgivable. The parallel time travel actually worked and made it not feel like a retread.

Was it great in any way? No. Was it uniquely positive during a year when we desperately need it? Yes.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:04 PM   #2158
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I thought it was great, especially compared to most of the crap being churned out lately. The ending was too sappy and cringy but overall I thoroughly enjoyed Bill and Ted.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:27 PM   #2159
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
I thought it was great, especially compared to most of the crap being churned out lately. The ending was too sappy and cringy but overall I thoroughly enjoyed Bill and Ted.
If you wanted a Bill and Ted movie...you got a Bill and Ted movie.

I enjoyed it. Its not going to be anyone's Oscar Moment or anything, but you knew what it was going to be and it delivered on that and it was enjoyable.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:26 AM   #2160
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

The Replacements Are Getting Their Own Biopic by Josh Boone
Nat Wolff is going to play Paul Westerberg, while Owen Teague will portray Tommy Stinson
https://exclaim.ca/film/article/the_...bEGkxgjJv9V3kE

If Bob Mehr is involved I am somewhat hopeful it could be good. It is quite a sad story overall.

https://www.soundopinions.org/show/769
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post: