Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2017, 10:23 AM   #81
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler View Post
The only thing is that the builder gets wholesale rates that seem to be less than what I can get for the same appliances myself. Despite being limited to one supplier there are still several options to consider. Would probably have more options getting the appliances myself but at least there's some benefit to using the builder.
Doesn't your builder have an overall budget for appliances?

Ask him what it is and then do your checking. And if you are sold on a certain appliance, nothing says you can't just pay the difference to have it.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 03:35 AM   #82
Scrambler
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
Doesn't your builder have an overall budget for appliances?

Ask him what it is and then do your checking. And if you are sold on a certain appliance, nothing says you can't just pay the difference to have it.
Yes, they did provide a breakdown of the budget for all appliances and I have to say I am actually quite pleased; in some cases seem to be 10-15% less than what's on offer out there. Plus even options I have opted to trade-up/upgrade seem to be good value.

Actually on a somewhat overall point, I can say that the builder has impressed me in several ways. Here's hoping that continues right up to possession and of course long after that!
Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:34 AM   #83
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bumping this because I'm in a similar boat right now having just bought a new place, except that the question is more dual fuel vs induction. Does the convection electric oven on the dual fuel ranges make a significant difference?

Also, anyone have any reviews on Kenmore Elite stuff? My building inspector was all about Kitchen Aid, and I do want reasonably high-end stuff (not Wolf / Subzero but not entry level either). But frankly I'm trying to get a washer / dryer, dishwasher, range, counter depth fridge and a deep freeze all at once while fixing two cars and buying new tires, plus I have to furnish this place... so at this point shaving a few bucks off where I can wouldn't hurt.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:41 AM   #84
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Bumping this because I'm in a similar boat right now having just bought a new place, except that the question is more dual fuel vs induction. Does the convection electric oven on the dual fuel ranges make a significant difference?

Also, anyone have any reviews on Kenmore Elite stuff? My building inspector was all about Kitchen Aid, and I do want reasonably high-end stuff (not Wolf / Subzero but not entry level either). But frankly I'm trying to get a washer / dryer, dishwasher, range, counter depth fridge and a deep freeze all at once while fixing two cars and buying new tires, plus I have to furnish this place... so at this point shaving a few bucks off where I can wouldn't hurt.
Convection is awesome for speed compared to non convection. Not good for slow cooking, but you can usually turn that off when you don't need it
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2017, 12:22 PM   #85
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:

Kenmore Elite is going to be made by someone else.

For example, I have Kenmore Elite for my laundry machines, and it's Samsung stuff. Find out who makes it, and look into them. I have a friend who sold appliances at Sears for a while, and most of the time Kenmore Elite is going to be coming from a manufacturer with a good track record for that type of appliance.
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:27 PM   #86
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:

... My building inspector was all about Kitchen Aid, and I do want reasonably high-end stuff (not Wolf / Subzero but not entry level either). ...
In my condo and in my house we had/have the same KitchenAid Oven.

I've found it to be very slow to heat up. Annoyingly so. I also have found the temperature shown on the panel to be about 20 degrees higher than what it actually is.

I would go for an oven other than KitchenAid. I like all our other KitchenAid products.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:20 PM   #87
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
In my condo and in my house we had/have the same KitchenAid Oven.

I've found it to be very slow to heat up. Annoyingly so. I also have found the temperature shown on the panel to be about 20 degrees higher than what it actually is.

I would go for an oven other than KitchenAid. I like all our other KitchenAid products.
I have a built in KitchenAid in my Calgary property and I have found it to be extremely reliable and spot on for temperature.

I am the bread nerd and have found the KitchenAid is the same for quality and performance as my Thermador oven in Priddis. Plus it has all the bells and whistles for settings like convection, convention, proof for making bread, timed baking, self clean...

And the oven is very large. It accomodates a 15" x 18" baking sheet.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:55 AM   #88
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

My 15 year old Frigidaire gas/convection slide in stopped working (oven) abruptly. I’m not sure it’s worth fixing given the age and a quick search for parts suggests they could be a problem.

I’m thinking of switching to induction/convention and have done a first search. I’d like to keep it around $2000 and ideally hit a sale. I’m in no rush since we barely use the oven in the summer.

Any suggestions on specific brands/models, stores, and whether there is a predictable cycle for sales?
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:19 AM   #89
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I ended up going with a Samsung induction stove and it's been great to me so far. Only 3 years in, though. It's fast to heat and incredibly easy to clean. I have no complaints and honestly I'm pretty glad I went this route instead of gas just for the convenience of it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 08-12-2020, 08:53 AM   #90
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

I've cooked on an induction range for the past 8 years, and just moved to a place with electric burners and it SUCKS. Takes so long to heat up, uneven heat, residual heat.. it's just the worst.

Induction is great about 80% of the time, but I find that at low heat it's incredibly uneven, and if you're using something like carbon steel pans, it can easily warp them, same thing with someone else cooking on your range and not realizing how quickly it heats up, and warping your pots and pans.

My next range will be gas, with an induction side burner for boiling water. It's just such a joy to cook on.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:37 AM   #91
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

My vote still goes to gas.

I use induction occasionally and it certainly rivals gas for heat / speed (plus other benefits such as radiant heat into the house, etc), but I find cooking on the glass top and how it handles when you lift off the pan (beeping, etc depending on the range) really kills the fun of cooking on it.

I always recommend my BlueStar 36" six-burner range every time this topic comes up, and 7+ years in, I still would. Commercial cooking experience and simple, so theres no silly logic boards or electronic boards to die on you. (knock on wood)
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:08 AM   #92
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post

I use induction occasionally and it certainly rivals gas for heat / speed (plus other benefits such as radiant heat into the house, etc), but I find cooking on the glass top and how it handles when you lift off the pan (beeping, etc depending on the range) really kills the fun of cooking on it.

I always recommend my BlueStar 36" six-burner range every time this topic comes up, and 7+ years in, I still would. Commercial cooking experience and simple, so theres no silly logic boards or electronic boards to die on you. (knock on wood)
I agree with this - in fact, I believe it was your recommendation that resulted in us getting the 36" BlueStar at our previous house. I just loved it so much, and it was fantastic value at Costco. We moved just over a year ago and the new place is all Miele, including an induction cook top. It works really well, but the beeping is annoying, as is the "going crazy" if you put anything down (even something light like a rag or a spatula) on the middle "controls panel" area - it beeps like crazy and shuts everything off. Gas was so much more fun and simpler too.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:32 PM   #93
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
I've cooked on an induction range for the past 8 years, and just moved to a place with electric burners and it SUCKS. Takes so long to heat up, uneven heat, residual heat.. it's just the worst.

Induction is great about 80% of the time, but I find that at low heat it's incredibly uneven, and if you're using something like carbon steel pans, it can easily warp them, same thing with someone else cooking on your range and not realizing how quickly it heats up, and warping your pots and pans.

My next range will be gas, with an induction side burner for boiling water. It's just such a joy to cook on.
I have the exact opposite findings. For me, induction shines at both the high heat and low heat end.

I totally trust my low heat settings and have no problem going out to garden for an hour or so if I am slow braising a stew or something like chili, even making jams and the like. It slow simmers extremely well.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:15 PM   #94
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Electric is convenient for the cleanup, but I hate the flat surface for frying pans. It seems like inevitably they will all warp just enough that they wobble.

Plus you can’t roast marshmallows or hot dogs on an electric cooktop.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:27 PM   #95
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't had pans warp on my induction unit. I didn't even realize that was a risk. That said, I am mostly a cast iron guy.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:32 PM   #96
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Electric is convenient for the cleanup, but I hate the flat surface for frying pans. It seems like inevitably they will all warp just enough that they wobble.

Plus you can’t roast marshmallows or hot dogs on an electric cooktop.
Unless you are buying the cheapest and flimsiest frying pan on the market, warping should never happen on any cooktop.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:38 PM   #97
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post

Ours does not beep, it just flashes for a while and then shuts off... a huge safety feature in my books? It also shuts off if it detects a pan has boiled dry. Clean up is a dream, after 10 years of use, the cooktop still looks as shiny as the day we bought it.

Last edited by Nancy; 08-12-2020 at 10:47 PM.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:07 PM   #98
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
Unless you are buying the cheapest and flimsiest frying pan on the market, warping should never happen on any cooktop.

That could be possible. I think we have just been buying pans from Costco, and they don’t survive high temp cooking very long. I have one pot and a small pan with heavy bases that are okay.

I have also been reading not to rinse pans out while they are still hot from use. That’s probably my fault, I like to clean up as soon as I am finished cooking.

We have a few cast iron, but we don’t use them that often as they too shallow for Chinese cooking.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:05 AM   #99
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I haven’t had any warping of cookware in our induction cooktop in the last 5 years. I also don’t clean them while they are hot.

Another vote for induction due to ease of cleaning from me.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:17 AM   #100
GomerPile
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Mainly here to rant:

We have an LG electric, Glass top. I hate it. Its a 2009(came with our place). We have the original receipt from the previous owners and it cost them around $3000 when they purchased it new.

I have had to change one range element under the glass and it was a huge PIA. However, this week the bottom element in the oven went. Its conveniently hidden under a metal panel and, according to youtube, I have to pull the whole unit out, take off the back, remove a bunch of electrical and insulation - just to change the fricken bottom element. So dumb. I am pretty handy, so I can do it. It just reminds me that appliances are the biggest scam going.

So to answer the OP, buy something that is cheap and replaceable - or is easy to work on.
GomerPile is offline   Reply With Quote