Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-04-2020, 04:36 PM   #441
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Hm.. my wife has been complaining her car is too mundane, this might convince her to go with an EV.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:34 PM   #442
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

Driving our new model 3 has been a dream in the first week. The technology is amazing, and has already had a major improvement. It couldn't recognize stop signs when we picked it up, and now it will stop while on cruise.

I loved my Toyota, but I cannot imagine going back.

We qualified for the federal rebate of $5K, but there is no Ontario provincial incentive, except driving in HOV lanes- which I can take advantage of in my commute.
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to starseed For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 02:53 PM   #443
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

TSLA closed at 1,371.58 today. Previous low last 52 weeks was 211.00.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:13 PM   #444
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

To me, given the potential for growth and industry dominance, including how far back other major players are, I would say the share price is low.

How many other car manufacturers are looking at aggressive expansion across the entire world? How many of that are doing that with a car that has basically no competition and consistently gets top reviews?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:39 PM   #445
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Tesla has a massive advantage in software. Not only is their software excellent they do all of it in house. I don't know of any other automaker that does they use OEMs to make various modules that have to talk to each other. In some cases there are 30 individual modules made by several or more OEMs.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:18 AM   #446
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Also, one has to ask whether or not Tesla is a car manufacturer, or a manufacturer of energy storage systems.

Because if you think they are an energy storage company, than their potential is a lot more than simply making 50k more cars from quarter to quarter.

The car is great. Amazing, really. Most people who buy one love it. They probably have hundreds of thousands of pre-sales. Probably more come.

But how does that compare to the potential billions in sales they will be generating from the energy storage side of things?
Old 07-10-2020, 01:13 PM   #447
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Over 1500 today
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:04 PM   #448
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

TSLA has been one of the most shorted stock that last few years the most vocal have been adamant Tesla is going under. Bob Lutz is the biggest idiot among the so called experts everything he has said about Tesla has been wrong.

My favourite is his claim Tesla has no advantage in batteries or software. He topped it off by saying as soon as Audi, Mercedes and Jaguar come out with their EVs Tesla is finished.
Old 07-21-2020, 11:09 PM   #449
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Are the Tesla’s still made in California? Is that only the premium line?
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:27 PM   #450
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's battery day, presentation in 3 minutes.

https://livestream.tesla.com/

Last edited by Fuzz; 09-22-2020 at 02:31 PM.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:13 PM   #451
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

What did everyone think? It looks like the market was expecting a massive announcement and instead Tesla seems to have made many smaller improvements and developments that will continue bring the cost of battery storage down.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:46 PM   #452
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Other than a lot of awkwardness and annoying honking, I liked the removal of the battery tab, that's a pretty smart idea given how it slowed production down.

It was interesting when he briefly mentioned the solar roof, I can't remember his words but it sounded like it was something for the future, not what was announced several years ago.

I wish someone had asked, when he was discussing the massive scale of batteries required for the grid an replacing fossil fuels, what his thoughts on addressing the issue of the batteries running empty, and no wind or solar to cover it. It did sound like he acknowledged the massive scale of the problem.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:20 PM   #453
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tesla website says delivery of the Model Y would be 6-9 weeks... Is that a lie? Can you have it delivered in 12 months? Sorry, I know nothing. I am thinking of betraying the Germans.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:59 PM   #454
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
What did everyone think? It looks like the market was expecting a massive announcement and instead Tesla seems to have made many smaller improvements and developments that will continue bring the cost of battery storage down.
It was a major letdown because it was hyped so much, people wanted the knock out breakthrough punch announcement. But if you dig into what was presented, this is some serious ####. Tesla is clean slate-ing every aspect of vehicle manufacturing, energy storage, software. And raw material supply. Being hyper vertically integrated is a serious risk but the payoff is tremendous especially when it comes to software, being able to code for all your own hardware, all in house, is something no other auto maker can touch.

Also Tesla only does electric, Ford, VW et al. have to juggle legacy architectures and EVs the tooling and general logistics of that must be a nightmare.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:55 AM   #455
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

They are also transitioning away from the idea that you need to get your resources from a 3rd world ##### hole, and instead have the mine, plant, everything right beside each other.

I find it a bit strange that Musk would say just Nevada has enough lithium for the entire world? Or did he say for North America? And yet we've been exploiting 3rd world countries for something 'cheaper.'
Old 09-24-2020, 10:49 AM   #456
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think they were using other countries because what he described in Nevada was maybe a new process? I did giggle when he said you take the dirt, extract, and put it back, and the desert looks the same. I think he is going to be shocked when he runs into environmentalists protecting endangered dirt, and plants that have super deep roots to survive. Those don't just come back.

It will be interesting what turns out to be the best and cheapest way to get lithium, I'm interested in how our O&G walls can be used to extract lithium, there are a few experiments going on around that right now.

Last edited by Fuzz; 09-24-2020 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:29 AM   #457
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I heard, "Nevada has enough to satisfy transportation for the United States".

But that's not the interesting part, what caught my attention is once the battery cell is made it becomes a closed loop system the raw materials are extracted from expired cells and used again. Assuming Elon is not lying about this which I doubt, from what I've seen what he claims and proposes turns out to be valid.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:04 PM   #458
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I think they were using other countries because what he described in Nevada was maybe a new process? I did giggle when he said you take the dirt, extract, and put it back, and the desert looks the same. I think he is going to be shocked when he runs into environmentalists protecting endangered dirt, and plants that have super deep roots to survive. Those don't just come back.

It will be interesting what turns out to be the best and cheapest way to get lithium, I'm interested in how our O&G walls can be used to extract lithium, there are a few experiments going on around that right now.
At this point I'm starting to believe you have some massive shorts on Tesla and simply can't find a single good thing to say about that. Unreal.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:11 PM   #459
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
At this point I'm starting to believe you have some massive shorts on Tesla and simply can't find a single good thing to say about that. Unreal.
I've said plenty of good things about them, and no, I'm not dumb enough to short them. Like I said, it's my opinion on how I think it will play out. I don't have a crystal ball, neither do you.

As to the direct response to my comment, I'm not sure what you are taking issue with? That there are environmentalists who will fight Musk's assertion that no damage will be done? Have you met environmentalists?

Or are you taking issue with my thoughts on lithium brine extraction in Alberta? I'm not sure what part of my post is "unreal".
Old 09-24-2020, 02:31 PM   #460
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I just find it mind-boggling that you think Tesla would make the step to invest in the mining part of the equation without doing their due diligence over how mining works, or the possible risks involved from environmental whackos.

We are talking about the company that is building a factory in Germany faster than they built one in China. I think they are capable of figuring stuff out.