Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-12-2020, 08:52 PM   #61
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Well i was/am a huge Weber fan but i remember hearing about it on the radio and thinking how blockbusterish it was.

People were dumpin on Weber because he signed that massive offer sheet with Philly, and then thought he wasnt worth the money. He had a couple down patches afterwards but all players go through those things. He is the epitome of an honest player and though he isnt outstanding at any one thing, he does everything well.

Subban was a bit too weak defensively for my liking though he was, at the time, a monster on the PP and flashy at all times. I still get the feeling he isnt overly popular with a lot of team mates, or at least wasnt in Montreal or Nashville. Not sure what happened to him beyond injuries, but man he has fallen off a cliff offensively.

I would have been in the minority though thinking that it was a good hockey trade for the Habs. I also think very highly of Poile so if he thought t a good move for his squad, then more of an even deal than alost everybody else.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:04 PM   #62
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I would have been in the minority though thinking that it was a good hockey trade for the Habs. I also think very highly of Poile so if he thought t a good move for his squad, then more of an even deal than alost everybody else.
Yeah, in retrospect Poile is another guy who has fallen off a bit. Winningest GM ever, but can't seem to build a champion. Still wouldn't bet against him nine times out of ten, though.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:07 PM   #63
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Yes there is a source, that I trust. Can’t reveal it.
Wow. So only you know. You’re special.
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:23 PM   #64
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarybornnraised View Post
Wow. So only you know. You’re special.
Weird eh?

Sometimes people know stuff others don't....and he never stated "only he knew", only he couldn't tell you how he knew.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:31 PM   #65
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Remember when a LOT of people were calling for Bergevins head because he traded Subban for Weber?

He was right. Weber is an absolute horse, leader of that team both on and off the ice, minute muncher and along with Price the face of that franchise. Oh, he is also cheaper.

Meanwhile Subban, on the ice, as become irrelevant/forgotten and has been traded since.

Though both guys have had issues staying healthy, and Weber is a few years older, I know which one I would want on my team at this point...maybe in a couple years it wont look as lopsided but man Weber was a really good trade.
I took a LOT of heat for saying Weber was the better player and Montreal won the trade
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 12:47 AM   #66
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

Petry has had more minutes than Weber over the entire playoffs. While Weber is still good, he's hardly a stud anymore.

Flyers missed a couple open nets, but that might be a good thing. The close score will make sure they work on adjustments. Defense got caught pinching a bunch, and the team needs to be hungrier to the puck.

Was really impressed by Danault: hard-working guy that exemplifies their team.

Carter Hart is really good.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:27 AM   #67
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nashville still won the trade IMO.
Weber's contract is only going to become more terrible.

Meanwhile, the Predators got two good seasons from Subban, and then a lot of young assets (34th pick in 2019 - Flyers picked Bobby Brink, Steven Santini, Jeremy Davies, 2020 34th pick). I much rather have these things than an old overpaid player.

The Fiala trade, now that's a different story.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:38 AM   #68
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
The Subban trade was ordered by the Molson family after Subban’s bogus and widely publicized claim that he was donating $10 mil to the Children’s hospital.

That was blatantly untrue. He donated $100000 and committed to help the hospital raise the other $9.9 million.
Wow, what a jerk 🙄
He was always upfront about how his donation would come. Perhaps the media created the narrative that he donated $10M?
Either way, not sure how you can criticize that.
Funkhouser is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Funkhouser For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 06:47 AM   #69
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
Yeah, in retrospect Poile is another guy who has fallen off a bit. Winningest GM ever, but can't seem to build a champion. Still wouldn't bet against him nine times out of ten, though.
A bit? You can make an argument his last two seasons merit a pink slip. He's given out some pretty horrible contracts and people are still scratching their head over the Hynes hire.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 01:01 PM   #70
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yep, Montreal won the deal, and i did say so at the time. Any cap issues if he retires will flow back to Nashville although not as punitive under the new CBA.

Poole also lost the Seth Jones deal, really a player who will end up winning a few Norris trophies.

The initial reactions were kind of hilarious in that posters who were bad mouthing Subban his whole career who also hated the Habs were saying how great he was after the deal.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 08-13-2020 at 01:06 PM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 03:08 PM   #71
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Another impressive game by Montreal. Tatar has really worked out for Montreal.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 04:28 PM   #72
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

Gotta give credit to Montreal; they channeled their inner Alexander Hamilton with their young scrappy and hungry play. They brought waves of pressure that Philly couldn't handle.

Flyers were all sorts of out of sync. Hoping Ghost is pulled for the next game. He brings a lot of offensive upside, but has been a disaster in the defensive zone. The Flyers have enough skill to hang with Montreal but could use a more steady rearguard.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:40 PM   #73
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly06Cup View Post
Petry has had more minutes than Weber over the entire playoffs. While Weber is still good, he's hardly a stud anymore.
The Habs are playing Brett Kulak as their ~#3 defenseman too. It's a shame our team never tried him on the left opposite Hamilton or Brodie back when we had Hamilton, I truly believed that could have been a rock-solid top 4 back then. Instead we forced Brodie on the left and kept experimenting with guys like Wideman, Stone, and Hamonic on the the right.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 08-14-2020 at 04:44 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 04:45 PM   #74
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
The Habs are playing Brett Kulak as their ~#3 defenseman too. It's a shame our team never tried him on the left opposite Hamilton or Brodie back when we had Hamilton, I truly believed that could have been a rock-solid top 4 back then.
Just tells you how bad the Habs team has been this season. The guy is a bottom pairing defenseman at best on a good team.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 04:48 PM   #75
IrishSpring2013
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
The Habs are playing Brett Kulak as their ~#3 defenseman too.
Which one of Weber, Petry or Chiarot does Kulak play above? The first three play between 24-26 minutes a night, Kulak hits roughly six less minutes per game than those three.

Same as the regular season.
IrishSpring2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IrishSpring2013 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2020, 04:56 PM   #76
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSpring2013 View Post
Which one of Weber, Petry or Chiarot does Kulak play above? The first three play between 24-26 minutes a night, Kulak hits roughly six less minutes per game than those three.

Same as the regular season.
Kulak is third in even strength icetime on their team during the playoffs, ahead of Weber, actually.

Where his icetime is behind the others is on special teams, where Weber and Petry get the PP icetime, and Chiarot/Weber/Ouellet/Petry are their penalty killing D.

In terms of deployment, he's on their top performing ES pair of Kulak-Petry. This pair has logged the most icetime for them, and has controlled the most play.

I'd say Petry and Weber are very clearly their 1 / 2 respectively, although they play on different pairs.

but you're correct, based on icetime, Chiarot would be their #3, and that would place Kulak as their #4.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:02 PM   #77
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Getting more 5 on 5 icetime than Weber does not mean that he is ahead of Weber on the depth chart. It just means that Weber needs to get off the ice occasionally, after being on the ice for both PP and PK situations.

It is important to remember that stats are supposed to support a narrative, not determine it.
Old 08-14-2020, 05:10 PM   #78
IrishSpring2013
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah, Kulak isn't trusted on special teams at all. He only gets time just as the PP or PK is coming to an end. Thirteen seconds per game on the PK and three whole seconds on the PP. That's been the case for both his two seasons in Montreal.
IrishSpring2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:05 PM   #79
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
A bit? You can make an argument his last two seasons merit a pink slip. He's given out some pretty horrible contracts and people are still scratching their head over the Hynes hire.
People thought Poile absolutely robbed Fenton on the Fiala for Granlund deal. Looks like a terrible deal for the Preds now. Jones for Johansen doesn't look great at this point either.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:10 PM   #80
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
People thought Poile absolutely robbed Fenton on the Fiala for Granlund deal. Looks like a terrible deal for the Preds now. Jones for Johansen doesn't look great at this point either.
Doesn't look good? Jones is starting to establish himself as one of the best defensemen in the game. That trade was a disaster for Nashville.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post: