Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 10:32 AM   #4761
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Backlund is a asset of little value to the Sens so i doubt he's on the table.

If the flames do decide to part ways with backlund before the trade deadline, it would be as a rental for a team going all in as a cup contender this year (who couldn't use more depth at Center??). That being said, i think it's a far likelier situation where he plays out his contract, and deals with his future status in the offseason.
I'm puzzled by the Backlund situation. The fact that we haven't heard about extension talks taking place still leaves me questioning whether or not the Flames want to commit long term.

If the Flames remain a bubble team closer to the deadline, I could absolutely see them being ruthless on the Backlund front in the same way they were with Glencross in '14/15 when they traded him and continued to push forward to the playoffs.

Backlund being traded could easily address our lack of picks in the '18 draft as you'd have to think he'd be the top rental available, and return something similar to Hanzal (1st, 2nd, 4th).
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2017, 10:35 AM   #4762
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

If we picked up Hoffman, I wonder what jersey number he would wear?
The Following User Says Thank You to genetic_phreek For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2017, 10:36 AM   #4763
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Friedman already said he gets the sense that Ottawa won't move Stone even if they decide to blow up the team.
Which makes sense because Stone is probably a top 10 winger in this league. Elite defensive player, great offense. A guy who can drive a line single handedly.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:41 AM   #4764
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lets be honest. If this team is not in a playoff position with Backlund in the lineup by February what sense does it make to give him a long term deal and large raise? There comes a time when you look at a core of players that isn't working out and you have to make hard decisions. Is it worth sinking more salary into Backlund for post-prime years when he's not helping take the team over the top in his prime? I know fans and even GM's get emotionally attached to good guys but sometimes change is good when things have stagnated. I never understood the mentality of GM's trying desperately to keep cores of teams together that have never accomplished anything.

I don't know what Backlund and his agent are asking for but if it's in the range of 6 x $6 million I walk. I don't care what the advanced stats or claim as he's not a $5+ million player on a long term deal and paying him that for an excessive term is simply compounding on other bad deals this team has made. We still haven't hit the point where Gio's contract becomes an issue but it will come in a few years and you can only have so many of these contracts before the team starts taking water. Maybe he's willing to accept less money or term to stay in Calgary? We don't know so I'm not saying anything definitive until we start hearing what their salary expectations are but if they are high I don't think he's a player you overpay to keep.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:45 AM   #4765
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are we still seriously going on about Backlund's value to this team?
Old 12-19-2017, 10:45 AM   #4766
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Backlund's looking for Louie Ericksson money.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:48 AM   #4767
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Which makes sense because Stone is probably a top 10 winger in this league. Elite defensive player, great offense. A guy who can drive a line single handedly.
Im not sure any of this is accurate. He’s having a great first half this season but since breaking into the NHL he’s had 1 25+goal season, appears to be a perennial 50-60 pt guy, but has yet to play a full season in the NHL. Sure no major injuries and likely some rest days due to his style of play, but he isn’t the most durable guy. Also you mention defensively he’s Elite. With most of his TOI co-existing with arguably the Best Defenseman in the NHL, you would think that a guy who puts up 50-60 pts a season would have a better plus/minus than he does.. Don’t get me wrong, I really like me some Mark Stone and think he would fit perfectly with the Flames but he isn’t as “elite” as you make him out to be and thus being less “untouchable” than your post suggests.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=116184
Old 12-19-2017, 10:49 AM   #4768
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Are we still seriously going on about Backlund's value to this team?
Until his contract situation is sorted out one way or another yes.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:51 AM   #4769
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If the Flames are sitting out close to trade deadline. Backlund will fetch a 1st pick and more. Its a no brainer you make the move, and see if he resigns in the summer 4.75M-5.25M 4x5 years.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:54 AM   #4770
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Tinordi has spoken.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2017, 10:56 AM   #4771
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
If the Flames are sitting out close to trade deadline. Backlund will fetch a 1st pick and more. Its a no brainer you make the move, and see if he resigns in the summer 4.75M-5.25M 4x5 years.
If all Backlund gets you is a late 1st round pick, you keep him.

He is absolutely a 6x6 player, but I think we'll get him for less than that.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:58 AM   #4772
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
If all Backlund gets you is a late 1st round pick, you keep him.

He is absolutely a 6x6 player, but I think we'll get him for less than that.
In your opinion.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:58 AM   #4773
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Im not sure any of this is accurate. He’s having a great first half this season but since breaking into the NHL he’s had 1 25+goal season, appears to be a perennial 50-60 pt guy, but has yet to play a full season in the NHL. Sure no major injuries and likely some rest days due to his style of play, but he isn’t the most durable guy. Also you mention defensively he’s Elite. With most of his TOI co-existing with arguably the Best Defenseman in the NHL, you would think that a guy who puts up 50-60 pts a season would have a better plus/minus than he does.. Don’t get me wrong, I really like me some Mark Stone and think he would fit perfectly with the Flames but he isn’t as “elite” as you make him out to be and thus being less “untouchable” than your post suggests.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=116184
I said he was elite defensively, for a winger. Good arguments that he's the best defensive winger in the league. He's like a younger, better Saad. He's the best forward on Ottawa by far. They wont move him.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2017, 11:37 AM   #4774
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Probably not considering Burke starts his Xmas trade freeze earlier than the rest of the league.
I've been reading this quite a bit. Does anyone recall rumours when Treliving re-signed that he wanted full autonomy over personnel decisions? I wonder if that includes calling all the shots on when to do trades.

I guess we'll find out if he makes a move prior to the NHL freeze.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:55 AM   #4775
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
This is the right play. Keep it amicable and tell Backs how much you want him back if he goes UFA and try and sign him then. I think he'd cosbider signing back here even if he get traded at the deadline. He loves being a Flame.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:09 PM   #4776
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
That is a pretty reasonable deal but weakens the Flames enter depth substantially unless they flip a winger or another D for a centre?

Does Bennett go back down the middle in this scenario?
I would think they could pick up a center for the third/fourth line if pressed. I also wouldn't be crushed if they had to reach into the system and promote a player. Hrivik is unproven, but has really impressed in the AHL. I think Bennett stays where he is.

LN1: Gaudreau Monahan Stone
LN2: Tkachuk Jankowski Bennett
LN3: Ferland Hrivik Frolik
LN4: Brouwer Stajan Jagr
EXF: Hathaway

Next year

LN1: Gaudreau Monahan Stone
LN2: Tkachuk Jankowski Bennett
LN3: Ferland Hrivik Mangiapane
LN4: Brouwer Dube Frolik
EXF: Hathaway

Seems to be balanced and give the young guys chances to succeed.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:26 PM   #4777
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Hathaway keeps his play up, he won't be a 13th forward next year. He's an equal partner in the resurgence of the Janko line.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:34 PM   #4778
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backlund was 4th in last years Selke vote, Stone was 6th (the only winger in the top 10). Both players are advanced stats darlings, and both are elite defensive forwards.Being that good of a two way player counts for ALOT. Backs will get paid, and if the Sens decided to trade Stone they will get a huge return.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:38 PM   #4779
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
He can have it. Although Turris is arguably better and signed for the same on a brand new team so we might be able to get Backlund for less
Old 12-19-2017, 02:08 PM   #4780
mcjmcj
Farm Team Player

Exp:
Default Backlund, etc....

To get paid 6x6, you actually need to show some offensive ability or threat to score. Backlund is a great number 3 center, but lacks the grit and offensive ability to be a true number 2 center.

Regarding the Flames in general, speed kills- the Flames have little if any speed. Without speed, I hate to say it you need girt which outside Of Tkachuk and Gio, they are sorely lacking. If lucky, the Flames will make the playoffs, but without a true identity they are going nowhere.
Closed Thread