Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-14-2020, 06:19 PM   #21
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Switch is awesome, but kind of a separate entity at this point.

PS5 is a lock for me, very likely at launch. Series X I’ll get eventually, once there’s some more software that looks interesting.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 08:47 PM   #22
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignite09 View Post
Yeah I'm kinda in the same place. Have a PS4 and Switch, and neither of them have been turned on in a month. I used too live for this ####, don't know what happened.
Kids? Married?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:12 PM   #23
ignite09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Kids? Married?
Neither. I actually spend more time watching "theradbrad" play games then playing them myself. No idea why, but I get bored easily. One example is Witcher 3, I've started that game four times now wanting a full play through. Get stuck, walk away for a couple months, then come back, forget what the hell I'm doing, quit, not return for half a year and start again. Video games used too be my everything, but I just lost my passion. The games I've paid full price for but didn't finish run from RE7, Spiderman, God of war, to Indy games like
little nightmares, and shovel knight. No idea why
ignite09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:48 PM   #24
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know that I can say I ever "lived for it", but I used to like console gaming a lot more and honestly now it's harder to convince myself to turn on the system. I'll just sort of get in the mood to play for a few weeks every year and blow through something I've been meaning to play. I'm doing FF7 remake at the moment but I mean, that's like a 23 year wait, so that's its own thing. Last year I played God of War and I think that was pretty much it. This year I've played more but Covid has a lot to do with that.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 11:31 PM   #25
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm probably just gonna go ahead and get both PS5 and Xbox next gen. Just need to decide which one is first, then grab the other mid-gen. Actually so far I'm thinking I'm perfectly content to keep using my PS4 Pro for a good while into next gen. I can't keep up with all the good games this generation, still have plenty to play and look forward to.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:47 AM   #26
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Giant stormtrooper wifi router for me because of the exclusives. Already have a toaster oven.

Guessing the size has something to do with the cooling those chips need.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:06 AM   #27
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Every generation I've went with the Nintendo / Sony tandem. Actually, I do have an Xbox and an Xbox 360 too, but this last generation was the first time i didn't get the Xbox One. I just didn't feel compelled to do so. We'll see what type of exclusives MS has this time around before I decide.

I'm actually pretty excited for next gen VR on the PS5. I'm hoping next gen PSVR is going to improve a lot from the first gen.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:08 AM   #28
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
We'll see what type of exclusives MS has this time around before I decide.
That's the nice thing about Microsoft. Their exclusives will be on PC as well, no need to buy the console
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2020, 11:01 AM   #29
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Are they starting to finally let Playstation and Xbox players the ability to play with and against each other?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 12:12 PM   #30
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignite09 View Post
Yeah I'm kinda in the same place. Have a PS4 and Switch, and neither of them have been turned on in a month. I used too live for this ####, don't know what happened.
My taste in games has changed a lot over the years. So many AAA games are largely scripted experiences that they don't interest me anymore. I'm definitely more on the shorter, less hand-holding type games now. I should probably play Uncharted 4 or God of War after playing all their previous iterations, but I simply can't muster the interest to grab them and play.

I did grab Kingdom Hearts 3 and FFVII Remake right when they came out and while I've enjoyed them both, I think the only reason I bought them right away was to avoid being spoiled before playing them?

Aside from Ocarina of Time Randomizer, I've played more Picross and Clubhouse Games than anything else lately.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2020, 05:09 PM   #31
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
That's the nice thing about Microsoft. Their exclusives will be on PC as well, no need to buy the console
You have to spend a fair amount on a PC to get anywhere near the performance though...I mean if you are doing it anyway that is fine but if not a console can be a really solid value. Xbox One X right now for under $400 outperforms a PC worth twice that or more.
Old 06-15-2020, 05:23 PM   #32
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
You have to spend a fair amount on a PC to get anywhere near the performance though...I mean if you are doing it anyway that is fine but if not a console can be a really solid value. Xbox One X right now for under $400 outperforms a PC worth twice that or more.
Define “outperforms”.

Edit: where can you get an Xbox One X for under $400?

Last edited by DownInFlames; 06-15-2020 at 05:25 PM.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 05:56 PM   #33
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Define “outperforms”.

Bestbuy has it for $379 right now

A lot like how the Switch is in a different category, I don't think PC should be compared directly to consoles either. PC fits my needs really well and I prefer it, but I get why these consoles are exciting
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wood For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2020, 07:30 PM   #34
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Define “outperforms”.

performs better because of optimization

try running Doom Eternal @ 4k/60 on high/ultra settings on a $379 all in computer. That has been the sale price lately at various retailers. I know you can play it on a PC at higher frame rates but it will cost you big $$$$$$. Your graphics card will be more than $400 at that point.

Now I don't know what the price/performance ratio will be with these new systems but the current consoles are a bargain tech wise IMO.

Last edited by dino7c; 06-15-2020 at 07:35 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:31 PM   #35
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
Bestbuy has it for $379 right now

A lot like how the Switch is in a different category, I don't think PC should be compared directly to consoles either. PC fits my needs really well and I prefer it, but I get why these consoles are exciting
That’s a good deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
performs better because of optimization

try running Doom Eternal @ 4k/60 on high/ultra settings on a $379 all in computer. That has been the sale price lately at various retailers. I know you can play it on a PC at higher frame rates but it will cost you big $$$$$$. Your graphics card will be more than $400 at that point.

Now I don't know what the price/performance ratio will be with these new systems but the current consoles are a bargain tech wise IMO.
I’m not anti-console. I’ll admit at that price it can’t be beat by PC but at the original price it isn’t as clear. I’m curious to see how the new ones perform. They really need to work on frame rates.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 11:20 AM   #36
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I still don't quite follow the obsession of 4k/60 which is extremely resource intensive for no real benefit (4k is such an enormous jump in resolution) to the average user, but then again I'm not the target audience for ultra-high fidelity. I would rather they target a lower resolution with a higher framerate (60/120 fps) and HDR, and if you want 4k you get 30 fps. Looking at the info on the PS5 showcase, that might be close to what's happening at launch.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 12:27 PM   #37
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Once you get used to 4k HDR it's hard to go back. I feel this next generation shouldn't have much excuses for 4k @ 30 fps as they they should be able to handle 60 fps. Personally I'm hoping for shorter loading times as long load times can ruin good games.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 02:54 PM   #38
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The issue is, it's on a TV. 4k is next to useless on a TV. HDR, sure, but not 4k gaming. If you have a large computer monitor and you're sitting two feet from it, fine, 4k might have a benefit in some applications. But I agree with Mazrim, for PS5 purposes, a 60+fps is easily the preferred route. Frankly, 30 is really jarring and sluggish.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 03:28 PM   #39
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
The issue is, it's on a TV. 4k is next to useless on a TV. HDR, sure, but not 4k gaming. If you have a large computer monitor and you're sitting two feet from it, fine, 4k might have a benefit in some applications. But I agree with Mazrim, for PS5 purposes, a 60+fps is easily the preferred route. Frankly, 30 is really jarring and sluggish.

This seems like a strange take. Not everyone sits 14 feet from a 50 inch TV in a living room. I play on a 55 inch LG OLED in a smaller den (eyes maybe 7 feet removed from the screen), and the difference represented by 4K resolution is night and day. Even between PS4 Pro and XB1X, games like Battlefield V and Destiny are notably sharper on the Xbox.
Old 06-16-2020, 03:28 PM   #40
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am happy playing Witcher III for what feels like the rest of my life. Besides, I downloaded an N64 emulator, and I am happy to play those games too. I don't see myself buying a next gen console for a while. Probably until they come up with faster rural internet.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote