Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-03-2020, 10:47 PM   #41
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
Yeah that's what they got rid of. Now it spawns water bugs at a much higher rate.
True. I had tiger beetles and wharf roaches spawning too.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:59 PM   #42
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

DIY tarantula island is hard now because of the mole crickets.. they spawn underground anywhere, and they're a pita to find and dig up. But what I've managed to do a couple of times now is basically do the island like you were going to do a diy island but leave at least one tree (palm tree is what I usually do), and one stump if you are missing any stump spawns.

I bring a stack of weeds with me and since the mole crickets can't spawn under weeds I plant up a good chunk of the rest of the island, basically limiting the ground spawns to a certain area. Leave the banks open to get at the water beetles.. then I try to figure out how many bug spawns there are by running around and listening for the mole crickets and shooing away/catching other bugs. The last two islands I had there was 5 spawns.. I'll despawn the mole crickets by planting more weeds by them until I know I've got two of those, then the rest seem to cycle pretty easily. Run to the stones to clear the wharf roaches, scare away any of the tiger beetles, and catch the jeweled beetle from the stump if you need it. On the last remaining tree an atlas month should spawn (3000 I think), dig holes around the tree to stop yourself from getting too close but you still have to walk up very slow to get it.

At that point I just scare away the bugs I don't want and catch the atlas moths and water beetles, not as lucrative as tarantulas but still not bad. Out of a full inventory of bugs I think I ended up with 7 tarantulas.

I also found garbage island, where very fish is a tire, a boot, or a can. Works great to get the achievement and get the recipes I guess.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2020, 11:07 PM   #43
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm kinda glad they're making the workarounds more difficult. I made 1.3M in 3 island trips with the tarantula trick and Flick on my island, and I feel like it takes away from the experience. This game is supposed to be enjoyed over a long time

My first camper was Marshal, my original favorite character from the older games so that was cool

Me and my wife both love Animal Crossing so this has been a great game while we're both stuck at home
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:07 PM   #44
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
Should we set up an Animal Crossing specific thread? I can set one up but can't move any posts over obviously.
Done, moved over the relevant posts from the past few pages.

I haven't gotten a single cherry blossom recipe yet, and I really want that lamp.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2020, 01:14 AM   #45
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
This game is supposed to be enjoyed over a long time
Forget that. I've got 8 more games on the back-burner and almost zero time to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Done, moved over the relevant posts from the past few pages.

I haven't gotten a single cherry blossom recipe yet, and I really want that lamp.
Thanks for that.

Is there any way to share recipes? Seems to be a common problem with the cherry blossom stuff. I must have got lucky. I already built the water feature and the bento box. That lamp looks cool too but I don't think I have it yet.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 09:42 AM   #46
photon

Exp:

I don't think there's a way to share recipes unfortunately.

For the island teardown and force spawning of the moths this guy's video he just uploaded is pretty much exactly what I was doing:

Old 04-04-2020, 02:08 PM   #47
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I need to work on getting the rest of the flower types. I have windflowers, tulips, pansies, and hyacinths so halfway there at least.
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:12 PM   #48
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I got some black tulips that attract peacock butterflies. They're worth 2,500 bells.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:57 PM   #49
photon

Exp:

Nice, I'm just starting to cross breed flowers, have gotten pink roses but no black ones yet. I did read that the the Friday->Saturday transition is the best for cross breeding, but wasn't sure if that was roses or all flowers (it was a video on how to breed gold roses).

Saw this site which details all the islands. For 5% I sure get trash island a lot.

http://wuffs.org/acnh/mysterytour.html

Also details on balloon spawning, I'll be glad when the bunny day balloons are gone!

https://www.reddit.com/r/ac_newhoriz..._150_balloons/

BTW the bunny day balloons have a louder and higher pitched whooshing noise associated with them.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:07 PM   #50
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Long story short - I'm now working remotely with 0 outside contact. The GF and I have started visiting each other's islands as a way to stay in touch and it's super cute. You get a whole airport scene and everything.

If you haven't visited another island I recommend it. You get nook miles and it's a good way to shop for stuff not on your island. I traded her some bells for some stuff she had that I wanted it was super fun.

Anybody wants to test it out PM me.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:39 PM   #51
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Looks like the devs listened and are reducing the number of eggs you'll get from fishing and balloons.

https://nordic.ign.com/switch/35473/...ggs-youll-find
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 09:12 PM   #52
photon

Exp:

So just be aware if you buy turnips don't time travel backwards, even if it's within the same day just to do some daytime stuff in the evening.. they'll all spoil.

I guess it'll take a little longer to build the rest of my house

Also if you build a plot for a house and visit islands you'll get different people to invite to your island, but seemingly only for that day. I did that, didn't like the few ones I saw and decided to wait. Next day there weren't any ones to invite anymore.. I went and looked at the plot and it's sold to Rodney

I already have T-Bone.. why are the cows named after the food they become?!
Old 04-06-2020, 09:59 PM   #53
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's random, it's not guaranteed that someone will move into an
empty lot overnight

It still sucks when it's someone random, but I guess that's how the old games worked for every villager
The Following User Says Thank You to Wood For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2020, 06:01 PM   #54
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would like to visit another island but it seems like such a pain in the ass to coordinate. You need to be online at the same time as the other person? I just got switch online and I have no friends.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 06:21 PM   #55
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Yeah it's a bit of a pain. You have to go to the airport and open the gate for visitors.

Hilariously I'm now isolated in a remote work camp. The GF and I have been visiting each other's island each day to sort of stay in touch while I'm gone. We've been trading fruit and items that we can't get on our own islands.

Boblobla - I'll send you a PM if you want to co-ordinate something.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:53 PM   #56
photon

Exp:

I'm thinking of buying those NFC stickers so I can make my own amiibos just so I can get rid of Rodney. I hate him already.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:48 PM   #57
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I'm thinking of buying those NFC stickers so I can make my own amiibos

Go on...
Old 04-08-2020, 01:59 PM   #58
photon

Exp:

Basically if you buy NTAG215 nfc tags (https://www.amazon.ca/NTAG215-NFC-St.../dp/B071KTC2J6) you can program them (say with an Android phone) to be any given amiibo (once, you can't rewrite to them, at least not so that the Switch can read them)

And as far as I know if your island is full and you invite someone via an amiibo it just asks which one you'd like to move out (but I'm not 100% on that)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2020, 02:54 PM   #59
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I might do that. Leopold is such a drag.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:26 PM   #60
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

In New Leaf if you used Amiibo to invite a villager, that villager will never ask to leave naturally. The only way to ever replace them is to scan in a new amiibo

I'm not sure if it's the same in this game, but me and my wife haven't used any of our amiibo cards this time around because they kind of messed up our New Leaf towns

Best thing to do is just ignore the people you don't like. Don't talk to them at all until they have the little thought bubble, that's when they may say they're thinking about moving. Tell them to move and they'll pack up the next day, and be gone the day after that leaving an empty plot to invite a new villager