Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-11-2021, 08:29 PM   #501
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do they not coach how to stop slants in college? I swear 90% of completions are slants.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 08:38 PM   #502
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

In college it's pretty rare to see a defense match up man to man very much, most teams play extensive amounts of zone which is easy to beat with slants and crossers. But I mean in general Ohio State's plan for Davonta today has been awful, he's gotten matched up on linebackers a few times even which is inexplicable.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:25 PM   #503
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Nah, Fields is gonna slide on draft day and no one else is gonna reach that high. The Jets, Miami, Cincinnati, Philly, all desperately need a true #1 guy and Ja'Marr and Devonta are both special. If the Jets pass on a QB we're probably seeing WR at #2 and #3.

don't think Zach Taylor could go top 3?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:35 PM   #504
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Do they not coach how to stop slants in college? I swear 90% of completions are slants.

Quick slants are tough to cover, especially in a read route structure where if its covered too aggressively they pop deep to open space.

Plus a well run slant just leads to inside leverage for the receiver.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:17 AM   #505
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man that was impressive, especially given what Ohio State did to Clemson last week. I could see Devonta going as high as #2 this spring.

I see on Twitter some media sources calling this the best college team of the past 10 years...2019 LSU was better IMO.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:53 AM   #506
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Man that was impressive, especially given what Ohio State did to Clemson last week. I could see Devonta going as high as #2 this spring.

I see on Twitter some media sources calling this the best college team of the past 10 years...2019 LSU was better IMO.
That LSU team was good. Not sure I would put this year's Alabama at that level but holy crap did they put up points this year - and against an all SEC schedule. Last night Mac Jones' stat's were similar to Joe Burrow's in last year's championship game when they dismantled Clemson.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 08:05 AM   #507
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Quick slants are tough to cover, especially in a read route structure where if its covered too aggressively they pop deep to open space.

Plus a well run slant just leads to inside leverage for the receiver.
The problem is solved in the NFL (for obvious reasons) but If you are being constantly burned by slants you need to adjust. You can scheme it into something better. Ohio State just let them run the same/similar play all night (till i stopped watching).
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:55 AM   #508
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Bama finally let loose what this team has to offer. I hate the Tide with a passion but no doubt this was the best team in the nation by a long stretch. The fact they did it with Mac Jones (aka not a Heisman QB) makes it all the more impressive.

sheetiest part is that this will just continue the flood of 5 star recruits to Bama and this will continue on for another 10+ years.
Ducay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 05:34 PM   #509
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
I think Bama finally let loose what this team has to offer. I hate the Tide with a passion but no doubt this was the best team in the nation by a long stretch. The fact they did it with Mac Jones (aka not a Heisman QB) makes it all the more impressive.

sheetiest part is that this will just continue the flood of 5 star recruits to Bama and this will continue on for another 10+ years.
It wasn't even close. What has really impressed me about Nick Saban (and a lot of things have impressed me the more I see) is how he has completely transformed from a defence first, low scoring, ball control mindset when he arrived. This year's offensive numbers were truly staggering.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:34 PM   #510
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like Bill O’Brien will be the new OC at Alabama. That is a good job for him, plays to his strengths.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:51 PM   #511
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

BTW I really hope they expand on the multi views that they offered this year, I really loved the film room with coaches channel. I think that was awesome and really educational.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:00 PM   #512
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Larry Scott will exit as Pac-12 commissioner in June. Best thing that could happen for the conference he's been awful at his job.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 11:26 AM   #513
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

@georgewrighster:

NCAA is investigating Arizona State for allegations related to the football program.

The allegations include paying players, MAJOR recruiting violations, Covid violations, and other things that have left serious concern about the coaching staff being able to coach this season.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:38 PM   #514
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ducay is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 08:15 AM   #515
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Texas and OU going to the SEC makes no sense to me.

Oklahoma dominates its own conference now and, with Texas, basically gets to call all of the shots. Texas is barely competitive and relies on its history to remain relevant.

Why go from that to a conference where Texas will likely be obliterated in every game and OU might become the new Georgia?

There has to be more to it than just money….
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 08:18 AM   #516
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIlliterate View Post
Texas and OU going to the SEC makes no sense to me.

Oklahoma dominates its own conference now and, with Texas, basically gets to call all of the shots. Texas is barely competitive and relies on its history to remain relevant.

Why go from that to a conference where Texas will likely be obliterated in every game and OU might become the new Georgia?

There has to be more to it than just money….
It’s mostly just money. But also power.

If OU and Texas join the SEC, the rumours are swirling that it’ll basically end the NCAA dominance on college football and they’ll break away to create their own super league. That, in and of itself, is also about money. Cash is king.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 07-24-2021 at 08:21 AM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:58 PM   #517
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

money is a big part due to the conference TV deals that the B1G and SEC get...While the SEC is the best conference, the B1G actually hands out more TV money to its members than the SEC does.

The Big12 has struggled in that regard in getting a major TV deal - so much so that the Texas Longhorns have their own network, which they do not share with the other members, certainly not equally.

With the expansion of the CFB, there are some conferences concerned with getting cut out do to lack of quality competition within their conference...While I am confident that the Big12 champ would always get one of the 12 spots, its tougher to imagine they'd ever get more than 2...the B1G has a ceiling as well...maybe 3? The Pac12 is more like the Big12...

so maybe half the spots are up for grabs, however, I could easily see the SEC getting 5-6 spots on a yearly basis.

problem for Oklahoma and Texas, you still need to win the games, and winning against an SEC schedule is harder than a Big12 schedule.

But the TV revenue will be undoubtedly better.

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 07-24-2021 at 07:04 PM.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 11:13 PM   #518
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIlliterate View Post

What? How can Oklahoma lose in the SEC? We have one of the best offenses in College football and when we move to the SEC, won't we then have a "vaunted" SEC defense? Perfect move for my Sooners.
nickerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:12 AM   #519
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Done deal. I would assume the inevitable end game will be four 16 team super conferences, no out of conference games and 15 game regular seasons from here on out. Once players could get paid you just had to figure schools would look to exploit them even more.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1420030573171593221
Old 07-27-2021, 11:30 AM   #520
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Texas lining up for four or five good #### kickings a year.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote