Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-12-2020, 08:36 PM   #8561
Flames Draft Watcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Wtf? Does this even mean?

Also, thought you weren’t coming back to this thread?
Once a troll, always a troll. It's how he operates. He's trolled both my favourite two threads on the OT Board quite hard in the last month.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:07 PM   #8562
Lubicon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
That would put an end to the second best licence plate slogan. That would be a shame.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:11 PM   #8563
PostandIn
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Not going to get past Moscow Mitch.
The greatest evil perpetrated is the evil committed by nobodies, that is, by human beings that refuse to be persons.'
Hannah Arendt, Responsibility and Judgement
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:37 PM   #8564
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since there was some discussion of Vindman getting fired and some saying it was justified because of "the code" or whatever, here is what retired marine general and fired chief of staff John Kelly thinks.

Quote:
"Having seen something 'questionable (in the call),' Vindman properly notified his superiors," Kelly said at an event at Drew University, according to the magazine. "When subpoenaed by Congress in the House impeachment hearings, Vindman complied and told the truth."

"He did exactly what we teach them to do from cradle to grave," he said, according to the magazine. "He went and told his boss what he just heard."

"We teach them, 'Don't follow an illegal order. And if you're ever given one, you'll raise it to whoever gives it to you that this is an illegal order, and then tell your boss,'" Kelly said, according to the magazine.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/13/polit..._source=twCNNp
Old 02-13-2020, 05:20 PM   #8565
activeStick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

8 Republican Senators joined the Democrats today to pass the Iran War Powers Resolution in the Senate which will prevent Trump from going to war against Iran without going to Congress for approval.

Trump already said he's going to veto this resolution since the 8 Republicans who crossed over still fell short of the required 2/3 majority, leaving this largely symbolic and political positioning for those who crossed across party lines.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 02:30 AM   #8566
activeStick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

A good segment last night from Rachel Maddow on where America is now with the latest events around the resignation of the 4 prosecutors in the Stone case.

https://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/amp-vide...mpression=true
Old 02-14-2020, 12:02 PM   #8567
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

DOJ drops investigation of former Deputy FBI Director Andrew McCabe. No surprise...
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:56 PM   #8568
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
A good segment last night from Rachel Maddow on where America is now with the latest events around the resignation of the 4 prosecutors in the Stone case.

https://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/amp-vide...mpression=true
That was a good segment. Since the senate trial and Trump's subsequent brazen displays of disrespect for the rule of law, it seems more Americans are waking up to the fact that democracy and rule of law are actually fragile and bad things can happen to them. There seems to be actual fear becoming noticeable.

If I were someone like Maddow, Colbert or any of the other prominent Trump critics, I would be moving assets to safe places and laying down groundwork for an emergency exit. Maybe everything works out okay, but if it doesn't, not having an exit plan could be a terrible mistake.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"

"I'd do it for sure. I'd be lining up to stab kids with forks." - OMG!WTF!
JohnnyB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:30 PM   #8569
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
That was a good segment. Since the senate trial and Trump's subsequent brazen displays of disrespect for the rule of law, it seems more Americans are waking up to the fact that democracy and rule of law are actually fragile and bad things can happen to them. There seems to be actual fear becoming noticeable.

If I were someone like Maddow, Colbert or any of the other prominent Trump critics, I would be moving assets to safe places and laying down groundwork for an emergency exit. Maybe everything works out okay, but if it doesn't, not having an exit plan could be a terrible mistake.
As I have said before right now there is someone in Trumps circle letting him know they can quietly get rid of problems for him, someone from the CIA or military with no scruples looking to advance, car crashes happen all the time etc
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 02:31 PM   #8570
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
As I have said before right now there is someone in Trumps circle letting him know they can quietly get rid of problems for him, someone from the CIA or military with no scruples looking to advance, car crashes happen all the time etc

I think Trump is more likely to have an "accident" than anyone.

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:36 PM   #8571
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I think Trump is more likely to have an "accident" than anyone.

No, like all despots he has removed all but the arse kissing toadies, I have no doubt even his Secret Service detail are made up of the morally bankrupt Trump can sniff out like a pig on truffles
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:51 PM   #8572
activeStick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

A political ad released by the GOP a few weeks ago.

Old 02-14-2020, 05:27 PM   #8573
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol. Didn't Flynn plead guilty?

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...-michael-flynn

Quote:
Attorney General William Barr has ordered an outside prosecutor to review the criminal case against Michael Flynn, President Trump's former national security adviser, sources tell The New York Times.

Such reviews are rare and are likely to raise new questions about potential political interference by Department of Justice (DOJ) officials into cases.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 06:29 PM   #8574
activeStick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Jesus. This is getting accelerated.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:55 PM   #8575
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, this crap is truly frightening. The U.S. is quickly becoming unrecognizable from what it once was. I had some hope after the mid-terms that they could maybe right the ship, but it's starting to feel like Trump will likely get another 4 years as the rule of law and American democracy crumbles before our eyes. I guess we'll see what happens in November.

I hope I'm wrong.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:22 PM   #8576
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Man, this crap is truly frightening. The U.S. is quickly becoming unrecognizable from what it once was. I had some hope after the mid-terms that they could maybe right the ship, but it's starting to feel like Trump will likely get another 4 years as the rule of law and American democracy crumbles before our eyes. I guess we'll see what happens in November.

I hope I'm wrong.
If rule of law fails, it doesn't make sense to talk about another 4 years, because term limits depend upon the rule of law. Historically, leaders who are democratically elected and seize power to become dictators stay for decades and their control only ends in death. If the US is not pulled back from the brink, that's probably where the US is headed.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"

"I'd do it for sure. I'd be lining up to stab kids with forks." - OMG!WTF!
JohnnyB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:37 PM   #8577
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

McCabe was just on CNN, what a juxtaposition listening to him and pretty much any Republican. Unbelievable they try to pass themselves off as rule of law. They are the party of conspiracy theories and the breakdown of law.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:02 PM   #8578
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Part of me wonders, why not impeach over these shenanigans?

Yes, Republican Senators like Collins are looking idiotic right now, but put a big read circle around them. They all said "he learned his lesson" and now he's going even more rogue.

If indeed Trump becomes dictator for life, at his age and health, that can't be for very long.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:20 PM   #8579
HockeyIlliterate
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
If indeed Trump becomes dictator for life, at his age and health, that can't be for very long.
As the saying goes, only the good die young.

So I suppose Trump may stick around for another 50 years.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HockeyIlliterate For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 11:56 PM   #8580
activeStick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This is a pretty frightening look at what could likely happen in November. The purging of voter lists and provisional ballots in Republican controlled states could come into play again.

The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post: