Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2020, 03:48 PM   #2661
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just going ahead and bumping this thread, because Sam Bennett talk is drifting over into multiple threads, such as one particular play being discussed in the trade and speculation.

Honestly, the dislike for this player that a few posters have is getting to the point where I have an immediate impulse to defend Bennett, even if momentary negatively might be warranted. There has always been a whipping boy on this site, whether it's Butler or Boumeester or whomever, but this is the first player that I can think of where the fault in his on-ice production is the fault in his development by the club.

It does make for an interesting discussion, but reviving this thread will keep it together.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:03 PM   #2662
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sam only played 10:24 against the Wild, dead last in ice-time.

And the game before that against the Hawks, Bennett only saw the ice for 10:38.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:04 PM   #2663
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

God he was bad last night. Ward should immediately bench him every time he tries a stupid junior hockey toe drag on an NHL defenceman
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:13 PM   #2664
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Let’s be honest - the Flames aren’t exactly swimming in high quality top-6 forwards and they aren’t using Bennett in the top 6. In fact he’s one of their least-used forwards even when he dresses.

At this point I think it’s fair to say he is what he is - an energy guy you can deploy in the bottom 6 without too much trouble (unless he’s taking dumb penalties...).

On the plus side he’s still better than Dal Colle who was taken immediately after Bennett.

Last edited by madmike; 01-10-2020 at 04:15 PM.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:30 PM   #2665
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't get the Sam Bennett hate: he's +2 on a team that has a negative goal differential. That's pretty good for a guy in the bottom six. Realistically he belongs in the top-9 and the only reason he's in the bottom line is because playing Lucic with Rinaldo and Jankowski would be a gong show of stupid penalties and clown like back checking

Jankowski is as good as gone at the deadline and I assume Lucic will move down and Bennett will move up.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:35 PM   #2666
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
I don't get the Sam Bennett hate: he's +2 on a team that has a negative goal differential. That's pretty good for a guy in the bottom six. Realistically he belongs in the top-9 and the only reason he's in the bottom line is because playing Lucic with Rinaldo and Jankowski would be a gong show of stupid penalties and clown like back checking

Jankowski is as good as gone at the deadline and I assume Lucic will move down and Bennett will move up.
People get frustrated because Bennett has lots of tools, but only a fanny pack to hold them.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:41 PM   #2667
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think it's a matter of bang for the buck. If you can keep signing him in the 2.5 range, I think he is worth it. I can't help thinking he is a late bloomer in the NHL.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:44 PM   #2668
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

There’s a good chance he is what he is, which is fine as long as expectations are tempered. The fact that he’s the highest draft pick in franchise history makes that difficult though. He’s a good 3rd/4th liner with jam who seems to love the playoffs. I don’t see any point in trading him unless there’s an offer that blows our doors off. Now, there’s always a slight chance that he’s a late bloomer and he improves his play. Either way, I think we’re better off just keeping him.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zulu29 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2020, 05:07 PM   #2669
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd bet Toronto is after Sam (in part because Bennett's a Gilmour/Leaf fan) and they'd probably play Sam in their top 6 and Bennett would become a legend in Leaf land, kinda like Wendel Clark. (grit, spunk, heart & soul)
Old 01-10-2020, 05:08 PM   #2670
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not even sure Bennett will be offered a one-way NHL contract once this one is up. He's getting worse, not better.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2020, 05:12 PM   #2671
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sam Bennett and Mark Jankowski are the two most boring players to watch, hands down. They contribute absolutely nothing to the team and are replacement level players. Were it not for their draft positions we'd have said bon voyage to them long ago.

I believe both have the skills but lack the drive or the mentorship to get above replacement level. Skill doesn't pay the bills, and this year I've been wishing we kept Hathaway over either of these duds.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:13 PM   #2672
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I'm not even sure Bennett will be offered a one-way NHL contract once this one is up. He's getting worse, not better.
LOL?!?

Strange drive by. He’s a legit nhler. Zero chance he’s offered a two way.

We have enough problems with Flames fans hating on Bennett, now we’ve got absurd drive bys from Buffalo fans? Sorry but that was a real lazy troll like post.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:22 PM   #2673
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
LOL?!?

Strange drive by. He’s a legit nhler. Zero chance he’s offered a two way.

We have enough problems with Flames fans hating on Bennett, now we’ve got absurd drive bys from Buffalo fans? Sorry but that was a real lazy troll like post.
Alright maybe a two way was a little hyperbole. He frequently costs the team more on the ice than he provides, and if his current play continues in to next season (or gets worse, which is how it's trending) what incentive does Calgary have to keep him around? Maybe a 1 year / $1M type deal to see if there's really any hope left, but would be waiver fodder at that point.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:28 PM   #2674
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Alright maybe a two way was a little hyperbole. He frequently costs the team more on the ice than he provides, and if his current play continues in to next season (or gets worse, which is how it's trending) what incentive does Calgary have to keep him around? Maybe a 1 year / $1M type deal to see if there's really any hope left, but would be waiver fodder at that point.
Sorry but that’s more hyperbole.

Hard to have a reasonable conversation on the site about Janko or Bennett.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:45 PM   #2675
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

League minimum?

Waiver fodder?

What the #### am I actually reading
Old 01-10-2020, 06:12 PM   #2676
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think the polar opinions here about Bennett stem from 2 main things - first he's a high pick so you want him to be great. But he's not great. He shows flashes, and that's frustrating, it keeps you on the line with hope - Maybe he IS great!

Second, I think we're all sick of watching him make the same mistakes over and over again. The toe-drag is one - he prefers this to making solid safe passes, and it never, ever works. Another is the quick "spin off the boards and flick the puck toward... ooops there's no one there!" giveaway, usually in his own end.

So it's like, this guy has good tools, size, grit, can shoot, but his hockey sense is just not NHL quality, that's what's keeping him back. He has NHL toolbag, but not NHL brains is what it looks like. So a lot of us watch him, hoping to see improvement, and then he looks great for a shift or a period, then gives the other team a breakaway outright.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheSquatch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2020, 06:47 PM   #2677
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
I'd bet Toronto is after Sam (in part because Bennett's a Gilmour/Leaf fan) and they'd probably play Sam in their top 6 and Bennett would become a legend in Leaf land, kinda like Wendel Clark. (grit, spunk, heart & soul)
Wendel Clark? just minus all the goals and assists and hockey IQ.

Bennett might not even be Chris Clark by the time his career is done.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:49 PM   #2678
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

He will get offered a one way, simply because of draft pedigree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:34 PM   #2679
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

As much as I would hope it would pan out that he could be at a high quality bottom-six player at worse, his usage from the coaching staff, and his lack of hockey IQ makes me believe this is the last season he's a Flames.

He may have been one of the players asking for a trade since he may want a fresh start elsewhere. But even if he didn't ask, I would look at moving him and trying to recoup a 2nd rounder if possible from a team that's willing to take a flyer on him. Bennett is expendable, and players are in the system that can fulfill what he provides right now. And it's easy to get a player like that through Free Agency as well.

If a trade bringing in a top 6 forward happens soon, I could see Bennett being packaged in it.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:38 PM   #2680
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Wendel Clark? just minus all the goals and assists and hockey IQ.
Sam Bennett's points would eventually come playing alongside Auston Matthews & Mitch Marner or John Tavares & William Nylander.