Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-22-2013, 11:15 PM   #2121
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Today was also a PD day for public schools, which always reduces traffic a bit. But screw it, I say it's because of the ring road!
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:03 AM   #2122
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pop the SE cherry from Glenmore to 16th ave. Feels good to have 3/4 of the ring complete.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:40 AM   #2123
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll know this round is great if I can drive from new Brighton to airdrie in 10 minutes.......
Old 11-23-2013, 06:54 AM   #2124
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRXguy View Post
Nice to see a couple of unmarked cops pulling people over already.
I support the police kinda clamping down the first few days. You can always tell when somebody is new on a freeway as they're unsure around exits, etc. Well yesterday that was everybody, all 20,000+ people were unsure to some degree, including me and I could easily sketch out the whole route and its lane configuration from memory. The combo of people going over 120 and unsure people slowing to 80 is bad.

But yes this is a very straight and wide road built to an extremely high standard, the 100 limit is painfully low.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #2125
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I'll know this round is great if I can drive from new Brighton to airdrie in 10 minutes.......
I don't think you can make it. But from Airdrie to anywhere in the city is 10 minutes. Or so I hear
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #2126
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
But yes this is a very straight and wide road built to an extremely high standard, the 100 limit is painfully low.
Well, they lifted the speed limit on 52nd to 70 between 130th and Glenmore once the construction was done. Hopefully they'll consider 110 once the various parts of Stoney are completed? Hopefully on the east freeway portion, at least. Would be nice for folks to do a steady 110 the entire way between Fort MacLeod and Edmonton.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #2127
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess the policy is for the limit to be 10 below the design speed, and the design speed is 110. But look at something like highway 2 south of High River... very narrow median, no inside shoulder at all, at-grade intersections, and of course no lighting. Stoney is the opposite of all that. They've got to bend on it eventually, lest I believe there is no logical method to their application of limits.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #2128
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

The East Freeway portion could easily be 130. It's basically a super long drag raceway.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #2129
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

A good place to shoot laser for CPS will be atop the 61 Ave bridge. At the next meeting of council, they might as well start making plans for the massive amount of money the SE leg will rake in.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #2130
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I drove it yesterday a lot of cars were already going 130km/h. I guess we'll see how much enforcement there is in the long run. I don't find there is much at all on the south end of deerfoot.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #2131
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Nice

Took a short run down on the south end of it this morning to check it out and check the exits. Deerfoot is still better for me as I am a little west but it may be an option on those days coming home when Deerfoot is a mess. Boy can I see what you guys are talking about winding it up. It was pretty much empty and lots of ashphalt and smooth at that. I can see a lot of racing along that section. The cops should make a killing along there. it may need to be enforced too based on how it looks like a speedway it may attract some bad accidents too.
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #2132
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man it's quick. We were all the way up north where Stoney meets Deerfoot at 1:27 and we were in Okotoks in 25-30 minutes. My beginner driver was driving so we were never over 110. It was pretty empty up until the south end.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #2133
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

The one thing I wasn't expecting was how little the difference is in distance between using Deerfoot vs. Stoney. According to Google Maps, it's only 3.7 km further to go around the city as opposed to going through it. For me exiting 52nd street; the difference is even less. Obviously a big part of that is how much Deerfoot winds.

I did also notice that on SB Stoney just before 22X, there is a sign telling Cranston resdents to exit 52nd.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #2134
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I keep forgetting that Minnie's trip is really the primary purpose of the ring road, to take north-south Canamex corridor traffic off Deerfoot by providing a high speed, and much safer, bypass of the city. It does this very well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #2135
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I keep forgetting that Minnie's trip is really the primary purpose of the ring road, to take north-south Canamex corridor traffic off Deerfoot by providing a high speed, and much safer, bypass of the city. It does this very well.
You mean its not meant for us southeastern'ers to use to get to downtown!??!!?!??!?!?!!!??
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #2136
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Regarding the poll in this thread, I've noticed that every day or so another vote goes into the selection that the SW ring road will never be built. Eleven percent say that the road will never be built. Are people just being smartasses? I'm just curious as to why anyone would vote that way. Surely someone could explain their opinion. I would love to hear it.
Red Ice Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #2137
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I can see making the left turn of MacLeod onto EB Stoney is going to be a giant pain in the ass with idiots d r i v i n g v e r y s l o w l y i n t h e l e f t l a n e until (if) they get the SW portion built. Nobody was moving over like you are expected to on a provincial highway.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #2138
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar_e View Post
You mean its not meant for us southeastern'ers to use to get to downtown!??!!?!??!?!?!!!??
On CTV a few weeks back, a Cranston resident was on the verge of tears because it's now a bit of a trek for her to get to 22X. Talking about her quality of life and such. It was embarrassing.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #2139
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
On CTV a few weeks back, a Cranston resident was on the verge of tears because it's now a bit of a trek for her to get to 22X. Talking about her quality of life and such. It was embarrassing.
Hm. I'll admit it's a slight pain having to take the other exit... but seriously? That's just sad
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #2140
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

An $10 says the only reason she takes 22X is to get to Deerfoot anyway.