Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2019, 09:59 AM   #1
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Trade Deadline Deals: After Round One

Looking back, there were a bunch of players that CP wanted, including rentals, on the basis that "this is the year". I don't think any of them would have pushed Calgary across the line, but it's interesting to see what impact they had on the teams that got them:

Kevin Hayes: Cost a 1st, 2nd and Lemieux. Was pretty meh to me and now they are out (and he's a UFA).

Mark Stone (plus Lindberg): Cost 2 players plus a second, and got re-signed. Played well in the POs but they are out. Not a rental, so it's all about him earning his big salary.

Wayne Simmonds: Cost Hartman plus a 4th, played badly and now they are out, and he's a UFA.

Matt Duchene (plus Bergman): Cost 2 players and 2 first round picks. And he's a UFA. But look what happened to him, and Columbus, in the POs!
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 10:06 AM   #2
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Fantenberg seems like a waste. Should have just kept Kulak in the AHL for a season and used him as depth, considering he is the better player.

Poor asset management
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to neo45 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 10:09 AM   #3
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

There are a few others that pop to my head.

Zucarello has worked for Dallas.
Nyquist in San Jose really wasn't a huge factor in the first round but he's still playing.
Dzingle for Columbus.

St.Louis really didn't do much didn't hurt them. Colorado added Brassard who they scratched after game 2 and played better.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:09 AM   #4
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mark Stone was perhaps the best player in the first round.

But I've said all along that if there was a guy that would have made a difference for Calgary, it was Duchene. Even if the first line had played well, he would have added a lot to the power play. But being able to put him in Monahan's spot might have saved that series for the Flames.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 10:09 AM   #5
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

There are a few others that pop to my head.

Zucarello has worked for Dallas.
Nyquist in San Jose really wasn't a huge factor in the first round but he's still playing.
Dzingle for Columbus.

St.Louis really didn't do much didn't hurt them. Colorado added Brassard who they scratched after game 2 and played better.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:11 AM   #6
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Duchene trade had a conditional first based on if he re-signs so calling him a rental and costing them 2 firsts is inaccurate.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 10:16 AM   #7
joejoe3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
Fantenberg seems like a waste. Should have just kept Kulak in the AHL for a season and used him as depth, considering he is the better player.

Poor asset management
Kulak was given an opportunity to play elsewhere, it was more for the player's career than for the organization's selfishness.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:19 AM   #8
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I also think Kulak and the Flames had a bit of a falling out. All the right things were said, but there was something there.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 10:20 AM   #9
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

lol

Kevin Hayes
7th on the team in points, 2 goals 1 assist averaging less than 12 minutes per game.

Mark Stone lead his team and the league in playoff scoring with 12 points in 7 games including 2 assists in game 7.

Matt Duchene lead his team in scoring in their heroic upset including 2 points in the elimination game 4. 7 points in 4 games.

Marcus Johnasson Game Winning Goal in game 7 vs the Leafs

Gustav Nyquist 3 assists in 7 games

Matts Zuccarello 3 goals in 6 games

Charlie Coyle 3 goals and an assist including a goal in game 7.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 10:20 AM   #10
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
The Duchene trade had a conditional first based on if he re-signs so calling him a rental and costing them 2 firsts is inaccurate.
Fair enough. So he is either a first and a rental or two firsts and not a rental.

He played really well in the four games so far. But Columbus revamped the entire team so its harder to assess one player's impact. And because it was such a short series it's hard to assess as well.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:21 AM   #11
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think the Flames have to stay the course and hope their picks pan out. There are so many top performances in the 1st round from players that were drafted lower on teams that were already competitive. I am glad that the Flames did not make any moves

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 04-24-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:22 AM   #12
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Fair enough. So he is either a first and a rental or two firsts and not a rental.

He played really well in the four games so far. But Columbus revamped the entire team so its harder to assess one player's impact. And because it was such a short series it's hard to assess as well.
yeah, tough to assess 7 points in 4 games.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 10:23 AM   #13
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Fantenberg 39 minutes played
Old 04-24-2019, 10:25 AM   #14
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The trade deadline acquisitions are largely a waste of assets for playoff teams. Stone is a little different IMO because him signing a long term deal was part of deal. Had they gave up a 1st round pick for only one round of the playoffs it would have been a disaster. That said the Zuccarello wasn't bad for the Stars especially if they can go further in the playoffs.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 10:39 AM   #15
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'd be pretty choked right now if Vali was gone and the flames were stuck trying to figure out how to make the Stone/Tkachuk/Neal contracts work, though Stone might have been a difference maker in the playoffs...a couple of timely goals or big defensive plays in games 2&4 and it's a 3-1 series for the flames coming back to home ice....
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:39 AM   #16
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
lol

Kevin Hayes
7th on the team in points, 2 goals 1 assist averaging less than 12 minutes per game.

Mark Stone lead his team and the league in playoff scoring with 12 points in 7 games including 2 assists in game 7.

Matt Duchene lead his team in scoring in their heroic upset including 2 points in the elimination game 4. 7 points in 4 games.

The Flames/CP weren't interested in most of those guys and therefore I didn't include them. Or am I mistaken and you were advocating to pick up Marcus Johannson? I'd consider most of those guys depth and trade deadline deals for depth for lower picks are just fine with me.

But do you really think that by next season the Jets will think Hayes was a good bargain? The Jets fans I know don't even remember the Stastney deal fondly and he got them to the WCF.

And you haven't even listed the consideration paid, which is a pretty big deal IMO. Zuccarello was cheap. Unless they do well and/or re-sign him, at which time he becomes pretty expensive for a guy producing at middle six levels.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:40 AM   #17
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I don't think there would be much hand-wringing about how to make the Stone contract "work." Even at $10 million, there would be plenty of room for his contract.

However, I'm more than happy with Valimaki.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:45 AM   #18
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
lol

Kevin Hayes

Probably could add Wayne Simmonds, who had just been downright awful in Nashville.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:47 AM   #19
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Probably could add Wayne Simmonds, who had just been downright awful in Nashville.
Or Brian Boyle who had 2 assists in 3 games coming back from appendicitis surgery.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:50 AM   #20
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I also think Kulak and the Flames had a bit of a falling out. All the right things were said, but there was something there.
Everything changed when they actually got to arbitration.

Things were never the same after that, so either the player heard something he didn't like (probable) or the team heard something they didn't like (less likely), and it was a fairly mutual parting of ways.

And for those complaining about the Fantenburg pick-up, he was not here to help the team in round 1. He was here to help the team on a deep run as the inevitable injuries started to appear. That's what depth means. It looks pointless now because the team laid down in 5 games.