Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2019, 01:02 PM   #21
metroneck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneufenstein View Post
The C of Bread Rises Again
You Sir win the internet today.
metroneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to metroneck For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 01:07 PM   #22
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I had the best seat in the house at Rogers Centre for his wicked first NHL goal. So happy for him. I had been into the pops by that point and I was yelling "EAT BREAD" really loud. I got some funny looks..
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evman150 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 01:08 PM   #23
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Happy to add myself to the list of crow-eaters. I was wrong about him and Hathaway - it's a double-crow buffet, and it's delicious!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 01:10 PM   #24
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why a bit of doubt might have been fair, everyone who outright dismissed Mangiapane early on was far too trigger-happy given all the evidence. Here's a post I made on February 14th

Quote:
Originally Posted by "In response to what was Tre thinking with Mangiapane in NHL" View Post
I will answer that question.

He was thinking that Andrew Mangiapane was the single most productive U22 player in the entire AHL a year ago, so he has earned an opportunity to play at a higher level, as had four of the other five U22 players on other teams to produce at a PPG or better:

Dylan Strome
Daniel Sprong
Jack Roslovic
Mike Amadio

have also received fair opportunities to do so.

He was with consideration of this success thinking that U22 production in the AHL has a steady correlation with future NHL success, so patience should perhaps be exercised rather than knee jerk reactions. Especially in a league where the current best team in the league has employed undersized AHL stars like Tyler Johnson, Yanni Gourde, and Jonathan Marchassault to surprising degrees of success, while the best player in the last decade of NHL has himself been glued to another former AHL star in Jake Guentzal.

Additionally, he was thinking that expectations of anyone playing a 4th line role should be tempered with respect to counting stats as even star NHLers like Joe Thornton, Brad Marchand, and Martin St. Louis were not highly productive in that role.

Further, he was thinking that Mangiapane's previous shooting percentage of zero prior to three games ago would not be a sustainable event given the sheer quality of his shot release, in addition to his knack for getting himself open.

As well, he was thinking that Mangiapane's two-way play has been markedly improving as he has spent time in the NHL, as is typical of players adjusting to the speed of the NHL game, and there is a developmental need for him to play and compete at and against NHL speed.

Finally he was thinking that the rules behind Alan Quine's waiver exemption affected his own flexibility should Quine's play diminish, as losing Quine to waivers would be undesireable.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:14 PM   #25
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't think he'd be physical enough to play bottom six and not skilled enough for top 6. So far so good.

If he can be a 10-15 goal/40 point player consistently that would be perfect.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:17 PM   #26
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Why a bit of doubt might have been fair, everyone who outright dismissed Mangiapane early on was far too trigger-happy given all the evidence. Here's a post I made on February 14th
Did you just quote yourself for a pat on the back? Wow.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 01:18 PM   #27
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

He's added to the Derek Ryan led turn around of that fourth line, making them dangerous now.

And that can't be overstated. It's a different wrinkle for an opposing coach in a playoff series if you have to worry about your fourth line getting their show run by Calgary's fourth line. You'd hate to start a series down three or four goals on fourth line play.

He plays a heavy game for a little guy, and as said he's hear to stay. No longer an AHL player, and I don't think he's long for the fourth line either.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 01:24 PM   #28
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wasn't looking like a player.
Now he's looking like a player. Hopefully a scorer too because we could use another one of those.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:30 PM   #29
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Did you just quote yourself for a pat on the back? Wow.
No, I quoted myself so I wouldn't re-type out the same things.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 01:36 PM   #30
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

@Kent_Wilson
Of interest: With Mangiapane this year, the Ryan/Hathaway 4th line has a CF% over 55% and SCF% over 60%. Without Mangiapane, they are at 45 CF% and 44 SCF%.

He is a line driver too.

Love me some Bread.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:42 PM   #31
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a die hard Flames and Yankees fan... I can proudly proclaim

ALL RISE!!
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JBR For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 01:47 PM   #32
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Crazy how he has become such a key player on this team. Our fourth line is dangerous now, as many have already highlighted.

Now all we need is Neal to come back be a force on the third line in the playoffs.

This is the deepest team in the west. they just need to fulfill their destiny in the playoffs. I will disappointed with anything less than the finals. this team is that good.

Edit: Just checked Bodog: Flames have second best odds in the league at +750 (Bolts at an insane +170).

Last edited by Duffalufagus; 03-22-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:53 PM   #33
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Count me is as a skeptic that is pleasantly surprised. Didn't think his junior game would transfer to the AHL let alone the NHL. Turning into a player. That goal last night was a snipe and a half. Hope for more down the road.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 02:04 PM   #34
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

2015 draft is looking like a great one. The Flames traded 3 pucks but still have 3 guys they drafted playing games this year. Rasmus and Kylington in the second round and Mangi in the 6th. They have since added 5th overall Noah Hanifin.

Easily the best draft since 2003. As for the bread Man I am pumped he has played so well. Kind of feels like the new Byron
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:07 PM   #35
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
2015 draft is looking like a great one. The Flames traded 3 pucks but still have 3 guys they drafted playing games this year. Rasmus and Kylington in the second round and Mangi in the 6th. They have since added 5th overall Noah Hanifin.

Easily the best draft since 2003. As for the bread Man I am pumped he has played so well. Kind of feels like the new Byron
Bahahahahahahahaaa....
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:26 PM   #36
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeast Mode is found money at this point. I didn't write him off but undersized 6th round picks don't often amount to much. Credit to him for steadily improving and becoming a fairly consistent contributor on both ends of the ice. Seeing the offensive skill start to emerge at the NHL is nothing short of awesome.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 02:27 PM   #37
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post

The long term results of that draft and subsequent trades really is crazy.

We went into that draft weekend with a 1st, 3 2nds, 2 3rds, 5th, 6th, 7th.

Over the course of that weekend we moved 3 of those picks in the Hamilton trade + drafted 5 players with our remaining picks and now we have Hanifin, Lindholm, Andersson, Kylington, & Mangiapane to show for it.

Crazy how the events of that weekend have really shaped this roster 4 years later.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:27 PM   #38
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Bahahahahahahahaaa....
Autocorrect and posting off my phone screws with me all the time
Old 03-22-2019, 02:31 PM   #39
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
The long term results of that draft and subsequent trades really is crazy.

We went into that draft weekend with a 1st, 3 2nds, 2 3rds, 5th, 6th, 7th.

Over the course of that weekend we moved 3 of those picks in the Hamilton trade + drafted 5 players with our remaining picks and now we have Hanifin, Lindholm, Andersson, Kylington, & Mangiapane to show for it.

Crazy how the events of that weekend have really shaped this roster 4 years later.
What is really crazy is how that draft could have the Oilers as legit cup threats had they drafted Chabot at 16 and Aho at 33 instead of trading those picks for Griffin Reinhart.

The Flames could have Barzal/Chabot/Connor/Boeser as well as the 2 other seconds but the haul you speak of is still very deadly. I have mentioned this before but in any draft where we had the 15 pick and we could add 2 2nds to move up to 5 I would take that deal. 2015 was a rare draft when elite players were available in the second half of the first round.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:32 PM   #40
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

For a 6th round pick, this has been gravy. Scouting staff does their work obviously. The sheer amount of homegrown talent the Flames have on the roster is so far improved from say the sutter era.

I still not sure of the long term life span of Mangipane but he has settled in nicely and worked his arse off to get where he is. Been solid for 6-10 games now.

The FW depth on this team keeps getting deeper and better and thats a huge thing rolling into the 2nd season.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote