Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2019, 11:23 AM   #2761
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

What am I missing? Aren't these allegations all about a leadership campaign that failed? Why would that reflect on Kenney? I have barely paid attention to this but now people are saying that it should be SNC level scandalous for the UCP so now I'm interested but I don't know what the link is between this Jeff guy and Kenney.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 11:23 AM   #2762
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
You're like a petulant child. If you want answers so bad, go to those websites and stop being lazy. I simply don't have time to compile that data right now. APC, MERX, CoolConnect, Ariba. The answers are ALL THERE. Have at 'er.
I've provided lots of my own research to prove my statements. You've provided nothing but your opinion.

Until you are able to do otherwise, I think it's pretty clear you are just making things up.
crazy_eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:24 AM   #2763
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_eoj View Post
You didn't disprove anything? I clarified exactly what I meant and provided the statistics to back it up.
You asserted - and contextualized - that Edmonton's economy is shrinking, but there was only negative GDP growth in 2016. Every other year was positive, including 2017-2019, and projected growth for every year in forecast of the same document.

Edmonton's economy is not shrinking, it's growing.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:27 AM   #2764
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Very odd that the same people calling for Trudeau’s head over the SNC scandal are defending Kenney over his potentially criminal scandal.

Partisanship over common sense, I suppose. Let’s turf both these losers. Alberta will be better off.
Pure gold to compare what is in front of the Liberals right now to what is in front of the UCP.... Again, I am not defending any individual party but to compare the two is beyond laughable.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 11:28 AM   #2765
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
What am I missing? Aren't these allegations all about a leadership campaign that failed? Why would that reflect on Kenney? I have barely paid attention to this but now people are saying that it should be SNC level scandalous for the UCP so now I'm interested but I don't know what the link is between this Jeff guy and Kenney.
The allegation is that Jeff Callaway was never intending to win, he was intentionally running to help out Jason Kenney and received donations to do so.

The reason for him to run was so he could say stuff about Brian Jean that would hurt them both and then when he removed himself from the race he endorsed Kenney. That allowed Kenney to stay away from the mud-slinging and alienating himself from the Brian Jean supporters.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 11:28 AM   #2766
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've provided lots of my own research to prove my statements. You've provided nothing but your opinion.

Until you are able to do otherwise, I think it's pretty clear you are just making things up.
Geezus, you're like a petulant child. I've provided you the sites; look up the information yourself. It's all there if you have the time to compile it.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:30 AM   #2767
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
This is fair to a point, especially with developing issues.

But as a candidate running for a high up position in politics, and someone who's already established as the leader of a major political party, it's a cop-out for Kenny and team not to have a position. Candidates are expected to have an opinion, and the Springbank Dam proposal didn't just magically appear overnight.
I don't doubt for a minute they have a position on it but timing is everything ... As many have said, they would be better remaining silent , announce their platform and roll to a win. I'll wait for the election call and official platform to judge whether the UCP thinks Calgary is a lock or whether they were keeping cards close to their chest pre election announcement

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:33 AM   #2768
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
You asserted - and contextualized - that Edmonton's economy is shrinking, but there was only negative GDP growth in 2016. Every other year was positive, including 2017-2019, and projected growth for every year in forecast of the same document.

Edmonton's economy is not shrinking, it's growing.
There was negative GDP growth for the years I indicated Edmonton as shown by the Conference Board of Canada. I provided you those numbers, they are verifiable and back up what I stated.

You want to split hairs and use the City of Edmonton's economist numbers. That's fine, but certainly doesn't disprove anything except a difference in calculations.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:42 AM   #2769
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
There was negative GDP growth for the years I indicated Edmonton as shown by the Conference Board of Canada. I provided you those numbers, they are verifiable and back up what I stated.

You want to split hairs and use the City of Edmonton's economist numbers. That's fine, but certainly doesn't disprove anything except a difference in calculations.
Do agree or disagree - Edmonton's economy is not shrinking, but growing? Or was that only for 2015-2016, and net GDP growth is positive in the last 8 years, and for the next 8 based on the numbers provided and the source?
Old 03-15-2019, 11:50 AM   #2770
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Do agree or disagree - Edmonton's economy is not shrinking, but growing? Or was that only for 2015-2016, and net GDP growth is positive in the last 8 years, and for the next 8 based on the numbers provided and the source?
I think I was pretty clear with what I posted in regards to Muta's statement regarding Edmonton's booming economy? None of your question seems to reflect any of that.

Once again the Conference Board of Canada Numbers

Year - Edmonton GDP (Millions)

2014 - $90,247
2015 - $87,538
2016- $84,349
2017 - $88,746
Old 03-15-2019, 11:56 AM   #2771
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
The allegation is that Jeff Callaway was never intending to win, he was intentionally running to help out Jason Kenney and received donations to do so.

The reason for him to run was so he could say stuff about Brian Jean that would hurt them both and then when he removed himself from the race he endorsed Kenney. That allowed Kenney to stay away from the mud-slinging and alienating himself from the Brian Jean supporters.
I see - and Kenney is arguing "no collusion" and the like, while Jean says they were colluding? Related question, wasn't Kenney the prohibitive favourite to win the nomination throughout? I am not a member of the party and was only half-paying attention to their leadership race but my recollection is that it was a fait accompli.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:06 PM   #2772
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post

I think it's deeper than that though. Wasn't there a PAC that also solicited funding and allegations of illegal donations as well? I think that the RCMP investigation is on that front, not just the kamikaze candidate. On the radio this morning they were saying there were 18 people being looked into (or something along those lines). It's a big deal.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:08 PM   #2773
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well hold on; your brother said Edmonton was booming. Any moron with a pulse knows that isn’t true.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:13 PM   #2774
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I think it's deeper than that though. Wasn't there a PAC that also solicited funding and allegations of illegal donations as well? I think that the RCMP investigation is on that front, not just the kamikaze candidate. On the radio this morning they were saying there were 18 people being looked into (or something along those lines). It's a big deal.
For me though has there been an actual credible accusation to Kenny yet? Outside of a few angry people who lost the race? Unfortunately for me and others they aren’t really credible. That’s the difference with the SNC scandal. If things come out from an RCMP investigation about Kenny then sure, things change.

But really I’m not sure what my alternative for me to vote for would be. Can’t risk another NDP government.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 12:15 PM   #2775
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Munroe View Post
I do not envy anyone running for a high up position in politics.

Someone could shout from across the room "are you going to proceed with the Springbank dam" and you could reply "I am not sure right now, have to look more into it" or any variation of such and the next day, any paper that opposes you will have a headline along the lines up "Mr/Ms XYZ hasn't decided if he will risk your home to flood"

Or you could say 'These guys aren't doing enough for flood mitigation' so somebody asks you if you support the most shovel-ready, and important flood mitigation project for the city, you don't get this kind of cop out.

'We need to move faster on flood mitigation' and anything other than full on support for the Springbank dry-dam project are mutually exclusive positions.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:18 PM   #2776
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
I think I was pretty clear with what I posted in regards to Muta's statement regarding Edmonton's booming economy? None of your question seems to reflect any of that.

Once again the Conference Board of Canada Numbers

Year - Edmonton GDP (Millions)

2014 - $90,247
2015 - $87,538
2016- $84,349
2017 - $88,746
Which doc is this in? I am not finding these numbers overtly. Also, we already know 2016 was low, what is the general trend from 2017-2019? Already 2017 is a spike back upwards, so how is the economy shrinking now? That numbers point to not shrinking, but growing.

Why is this hard?
Old 03-15-2019, 12:39 PM   #2777
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

This morning it's been reported that it's been referred to the RCMP. And, according to the report, the police are actively investigating: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ions-1.5057255

RCMP take over investigation of United Conservative Party 'irregular financial contribution' allegations
Social Sharing
Alberta election commissioner identified 'potential violations' outside his jurisdiction

Quote:
Alberta's Office of the Election Commissioner has turned over to the RCMP its investigation into allegations of irregular political contributions involving the so-called "kamikaze" campaign of United Conservative Party leadership contender Jeff Callaway.
Quote:
The fact that the RCMP are now involved represents a significant escalation in the scandal that has swirled around the UCP, the Callaway campaign, and Kenney.
Quote:
"Const. J.P. Michaud of the K Division RCMP serious crimes branch would like to contact you. I am obliged to share the contact information you have provided with our office to assist him in his investigation," the email stated, adding that "you should anticipate that the RCMP will reach out to you in the near future."
The article talks in-depth about potential financial and voting issues.

Last edited by RedHot25; 03-15-2019 at 12:46 PM.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:50 PM   #2778
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
For me though has there been an actual credible accusation to Kenny yet? Outside of a few angry people who lost the race? Unfortunately for me and others they aren’t really credible. That’s the difference with the SNC scandal. If things come out from an RCMP investigation about Kenny then sure, things change.

But really I’m not sure what my alternative for me to vote for would be. Can’t risk another NDP government.
Well there have been people charged, the matter referred to the RCMP because it’s beyond the scope of Elections Alberta and that same investigation was having issues pursuing this matter because of obstruction by parties involved. I don’t know what else you could want at this point. I can’t say Kenney is guilty of anything, but there’s a lot more smoke here than what we have federally and most people here are ready to hang Trudeau in that case.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 01:22 PM   #2779
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well there have been people charged, the matter referred to the RCMP because it’s beyond the scope of Elections Alberta and that same investigation was having issues pursuing this matter because of obstruction by parties involved. I don’t know wht else you could want at this point. I can’t say Kenney is guilty of anything, but there’s a lot more smoke here than what we have federally and most people here are ready to hang Trudeau in that case.
Are they not still investigating the Callaway campaign? Yes there are rumblings from the people who lost about more nefarious things but is Kenny actually being investigated?
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:25 PM   #2780
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Munroe View Post
Pure gold to compare what is in front of the Liberals right now to what is in front of the UCP.... Again, I am not defending any individual party but to compare the two is beyond laughable.
The comparison was not like-for-like severity. I think politicians at the highest level allegedly engaging in criminal activities is serious, and not defensible, period.

If you disagree, that’s ok. But I don’t believe we should be defending any politician engaging in this type of activity, and the fact is that some people are (albeit, conveniently on one side).

I’m not voting for someone being investigated by the RCMP, nor would I find it appealing to defend them as “doing what they had to do.”

Why would you want someone who may have been involved in serious fraud to lead your province or country?
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post: