Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2016, 08:36 AM   #61
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would've had a goal last night if that Wild defender didn't have a perfect butterfly.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:05 AM   #62
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Would've had a goal last night if that Wild defender didn't have a perfect butterfly.
And the empty net deflection off of Koivu that just barely hit his stick. He had a great game last night.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:13 AM   #63
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am loving Tkachuk. The role he has taken is exactly what this team has needed for a long time, and it is fun to watch. I really missed having a player like that. Remember how much fun Villle Niemenen was to wastch? The Finn with the grin I think he was called!

That style of play will lead to penalties though and some of them will come at poor times which is something we'll have to learn to accept.

I will say though that to me, the headbutt is over the line and I'm not a fan of a play like that. I hope he can reign it in so that we can still defend his actions. it's a fine line that style of play. I want to be able to love him long time!
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to schteve_d For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2016, 09:15 AM   #64
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

So would we say he's a faster, harder hitting Joe Colborne? or basically Matt Stajan?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2016, 09:17 AM   #65
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Crazy that a teenaged Tkachuk leads the team in PIM's by 21 minutes over a 20 year old Sam Bennett. either the team is butter soft with vets or we drafted some psycho's.
I really like Tkachuk but he has taken quite a few bad penalties and I really wish he would play a little more responsibly and stay out of the penalty box. I'd like to see him cut the penalty time in half. Having him in the penalty box does the no good.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:43 AM   #66
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I really like Tkachuk but he has taken quite a few bad penalties and I really wish he would play a little more responsibly and stay out of the penalty box. I'd like to see him cut the penalty time in half. Having him in the penalty box does the no good.

I disagree. I think he's been a little undisciplined, but his penalties never seem to be of the lazy variety. He also gets called a lot, many of which aren't penalties called on more established players.

I think the number will naturally come down as he gets older, but I absolutely do not wish for him to change his game in the slightest. He excels because he plays on the edge and when you play on the edge, sometimes you step over. He plays a great game especially for a teenager.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 11:03 AM   #67
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's playing the exact way I was hoping Sam Bennett would.
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to albertGQ For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2016, 11:07 AM   #68
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

tinordi - "management will send him down, it's an easy decision".
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2016, 11:51 AM   #69
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

That headbutt was dirty as ####.

Glad to see he's doing that his favorite player would do given the opportunity.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 11:55 AM   #70
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
I think Bennett fears being benched if he does.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick M. For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2016, 12:02 PM   #71
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I disagree. I think he's been a little undisciplined, but his penalties never seem to be of the lazy variety. He also gets called a lot, many of which aren't penalties called on more established players.

I think the number will naturally come down as he gets older, but I absolutely do not wish for him to change his game in the slightest. He excels because he plays on the edge and when you play on the edge, sometimes you step over. He plays a great game especially for a teenager.
He can still play a rough and tough game without taking some of the bad penalties. The head-butt in front of the net yesterday is one such penalty that he shouldn't be taking. It is completely unnecessary. I would say that around 1/4 of the penalties that I've seen him take so far this year and stupid penalties. He can still get physical in front of the net or after the whistle without ending up in the box.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:59 PM   #72
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
tinordi - "management will send him down, it's an easy decision".
I thought he would be sent down as well. I was wrong as he's further in his development than I thought. Pretty impressive when you consider he only has a single WHL season under his belt. Draft lottery day was a pretty depressing day for Flames fans getting bumped down by the Jets but things really didn't work out too bad after all as Tkachuk has potential to be at least the 3rd best player of the top 10 players of this draft.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2016, 01:00 PM   #73
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
He can still play a rough and tough game without taking some of the bad penalties. The head-butt in front of the net yesterday is one such penalty that he shouldn't be taking. It is completely unnecessary. I would say that around 1/4 of the penalties that I've seen him take so far this year and stupid penalties. He can still get physical in front of the net or after the whistle without ending up in the box.
In turn, taking penalties that get under the other team's skin will get him a reputation for being a dirt bag. Teams tend to go out of their way to attack dirt bags. Look at Koivu clocking him at one point. Getting other teams to take dumb penalties of their own will be the name of the game. Earning the reputation takes time though.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:00 PM   #74
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
Bennett hasn't been the same since being benched but I think this funk is a short term thing and he will be a better player in the long run.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 04:27 PM   #75
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Zucker used the butt end of his stick to hit Giordano in the head during last night's game. That was worse than anything that Tkachuk did. Sometimes, someone has to give back some of what the other team is dishing out. Give the kid some credit.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 05:04 PM   #76
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought Tkachuk played a really good game, Wild took 3 penalities against him.

Created Backlund's goal, was really unlucky not to score.

1st penalty in the offensive zone was bad luck,

2nd penalty in the third was a bad play.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 06:06 PM   #77
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked Gulutzan's quote today about Tkachuk playing on the edge: "You'd rather tame a mustang than beat a mule."
Old 12-04-2016, 12:23 AM   #78
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I liked Gulutzan's quote today about Tkachuk playing on the edge: "You'd rather tame a mustang than beat a mule."

Reminds me of Todd Button talking about Poirier on some podcast. Essentially he said the same thing about Poirier - that you can teach a kid who is too aggressive to calm down a bit, but you can't usually get a passive guy to suddenly become more aggressive. Something like that.

At any rate, I don't mind Tkachuk acting up and going 'over that line' sometimes. No more headbutts I hope, but he is a player that just plays right on that edge, and if he can get away with it, he will go over that edge without hesitating, hoping that the other team responds over that edge as well.

It really is working, and it is nice to have some emotion in the games again.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:25 AM   #79
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Reminds me of Todd Button talking about Poirier on some podcast. Essentially he said the same thing about Poirier - that you can teach a kid who is too aggressive to calm down a bit, but you can't usually get a passive guy to suddenly become more aggressive. Something like that.

At any rate, I don't mind Tkachuk acting up and going 'over that line' sometimes. No more headbutts I hope, but he is a player that just plays right on that edge, and if he can get away with it, he will go over that edge without hesitating, hoping that the other team responds over that edge as well.

It really is working, and it is nice to have some emotion in the games again.
If Poirer uses his speed and edge at the NHL level, he could be a regular in the Flames line-up. The Flames could have themselves a 2011-12 Bruins-type roster if some of our edgy players pan out
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:26 PM   #80
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
I am loving Tkachuk. The role he has taken is exactly what this team has needed for a long time, and it is fun to watch. I really missed having a player like that. Remember how much fun Villle Niemenen was to wastch? The Finn with the grin I think he was called!

That style of play will lead to penalties though and some of them will come at poor times which is something we'll have to learn to accept.

I will say though that to me, the headbutt is over the line and I'm not a fan of a play like that. I hope he can reign it in so that we can still defend his actions. it's a fine line that style of play. I want to be able to love him long time!
I agree, and disagree. A guy like this has to cross the line at times so the opposition knows that is a possibility. It's not like there was intent to injure with the head-butt, but it sends a message. If it were violent, I would agree.