Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-23-2019, 02:36 PM   #21
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
At the time, it seemed as if they had an aging veteran whose game was starting to slip and their presumed future #1 who was just coming into his own. Neither was the consensus #1 as the playoffs started. Of course, things have changed a lot since then, since MAF discovered the fountain of youth in LV and Murray had all the injury problems.
I disagree with your evaluation.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:08 PM   #22
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last year, Trotz picked Grubauer for the first two games...

2010 Canadiens with Halak and Price also made the conf finals.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 05:13 PM   #23
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, in 2004 Turek, McLennan, and Kipper each carried the torch at points in the season. Kipper's stats were unreal, but I don't think it would have been out of the question to change him out if he struggled a few in a row in the playoffs (which of course he didn't)
Old 03-23-2019, 05:16 PM   #24
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

In 08/09, Osgood had a .887 in the regular season and a .926 in the playoffs.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:17 PM   #25
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
2017 Pens with MAF (15 games)/Murray (11 games).
Murray was injured he was (and is currently) the #1 guy.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:24 PM   #26
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Also, in 2004 Turek, McLennan, and Kipper each carried the torch at points in the season. Kipper's stats were unreal, but I don't think it would have been out of the question to change him out if he struggled a few in a row in the playoffs (which of course he didn't)
Odd view. Kipper was decidedly the number 1.

Other goalies were chosen to play when Kipper was 1) not yet on the team, or 2) injured.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 05:29 PM   #27
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Wonderful. How much larger? What are the examples?

I wasn’t asking for reasoning, I was hoping for the actual examples.

If somebody feels there is value in distinguishing, feel free to make it worthwhile
One example of a team that lost in the Conference Finals is the 2006 Ducks.

Bryz started the playoffs but was replaced in game 2 by Giguere, who then played the next four. Bryz took the net back late in Game 5 and won Games 6 & 7. They each played about 3.5 games in the 7 game series.

The Ducks swept the Avs in round 2, with Bryz playing all 4 games.

In Round 3, Bryz started the first 3 games, losing all of them. Giguere went in for Game 4, won, then lost Game 5.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:39 PM   #28
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^ Good example.

Just asked because I was wondering if the guy who asked for the clarification intended on actually contributing any data set based on it.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:40 PM   #29
Spinach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Aside from the oft-mentioned Osgood & Niemi, every Cup winner since I can remember (the 80's) has had a clear-cut #1 or at least a reliable go-to guy if they weren't 100% sure, eg. the Caps last year, the Pens with Fleury/Murray.

The '84 Oilers had a platoon during the regular season, with close to an even split between Fuhr & Moog. Fuhr was the main starter in the playoffs, although Moog got into 7 games himself.

As for finalists, there are a few examples:
Philly in 2010,
The 2009 Wings who lost in the Finals had platooned Osgood & Conklin before rolling with Osgood
Philly in '97 (Snow/Hextall each saw significant time),
In 2002, the Canes platooned Barasso & Irbe, with Irbe winning the playoff starter role.

And that's without mentioning any semi-finalists.

So there aren't a plethora of examples of teams going far without a definitive #1, but there are enough to show it can be done if the team in front plays well. That's part of the beauty of the NHL postseason: you just never bloody well know!
Old 03-23-2019, 06:13 PM   #30
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsawwassen View Post
You asked this in the Preferred playoff opponent thread.
Logical next step is to have a sub-forum for the question.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:36 PM   #31
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
We have a clear #1, his name is David Rittich. Starting swiss cheese in the playoffs guarantees pain and suffering.
So he is starting tonight after not starting last game cause thats what true #1's do right......right?
Old 03-25-2019, 02:33 PM   #32
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Odd view. Kipper was decidedly the number 1.

Other goalies were chosen to play when Kipper was 1) not yet on the team, or 2) injured.
It only seems totally obvious with hindsight. Given how the last few months of that season played out, I think lots of people would have picked the over on a line of 1.5 goalies to start for the Flames in the playoffs.

Not dissimilar to Binnington this year - he's obviously the guy going into the playoffs, but it's far from certain that he's their starter for the next decade. I think this question boils down to how much leash a goalie has in the playoffs, which is based more on the calibre of his backup than anything else. 1.5 bad games and Binnington/Kipper would still get the next start, but could expect a quick hook if it went poorly, and not start again if the backup looks better.

After Feb 1. 2004, Kipper played 21 games and Turek only 7, but Turek allowed exactly 2 goals in five of those games (though the Flames managed to lose four of those five), and posted shutouts in two of his last three starts that season. Sv% > 0.909.

Kipper's last 7 starts were W0ga, L2ga, L3, L3, W2, W0, W2 - three games with sub. 890 sv%. The dropoff to Turek near the end of the season was absolutely minimal. Kipper allowed 5 in game 1 against Van, but then W1, L2, W0, W1. In Game 6, he allowed 4 in the first 60 mins, but it took Van 42 mins to get another by him. Obviously he's staying in net for game 7.

Kipper didn't allow more than 2 goals in consecutive games all playoffs. His only consecutive losses were games 3 and 4 against SJ (2 ga and 4 ga). He followed that with a shutout and 1 ga to beat out the Sharks. Also game 6 and 7 against TBL were technically recorded as losses.

As it played out, Sutter never had to come close to making a decision - this was the time that Kipper earned his reputation for following up bad results with amazing performances. But heading into those playoffs, it was anything but certain how he would handle adversity in the post-season.

As compared to teams this year that are going to ride or die with: Holtby, Fleury, Murray, Andersen, Jones, Helleybuck, Price, Bobrovsky - 3 awful starts in a row and they are still very likely in the net for the next game.

Hammond and Hutchinson jump to mind as guys that had lengthy hot streaks, but didn't establish themselves as their team's long term starter (I'm sure there are plenty of other examples). Obviously the Flames felt confident enough in Kipper to turf Turek, but it was anything but certain that Kipper was going to come back from the lockout in Vezina form.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:45 PM   #33
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was never sold on Cam Ward. He got hot during the 06 playoffs and won the Conn Smythe, but he wasn't the starter for most of the season, Gerber was.

I don't know of Ward was truly a #1 goalie that could carry his team.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 02:48 PM   #34
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
So he is starting tonight after not starting last game cause thats what true #1's do right......right?
Not when they are sick.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 02:54 PM   #35
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sticking with the Hurricanes. In 2002 they made it to the finals with Irbe and Weekes in net.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2019, 03:01 PM   #36
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Leighton/Boucher getting to the finals I think stands out for me considering they didn't get much NHL time since.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote