Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-27-2009, 10:30 AM   #21
MaDMaN_26
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
Anyone without iTunes that can get Bill Maher to work? The podcast links to HBO's website arent working for me, I'm thinking that it's a non-US thing?
I was able to get an individual episode, but subscribing gave me an error as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to MaDMaN_26 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2009, 11:02 AM   #22
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

In addition to the CBC Radio 3 podcasts (which are awesome), CBC had a really good thing going with one called Search Engine. An interesting show about how the internet is changing people's lives, politics, etc. and stirred the pot regarding issues like copyright, free speech, etc. It has now been cancelled (even though it was the top-rated podcast in Canada for quite some time - way to go, CBC) but has been resurrected on TVO and is available as a podcast again. Probably my favourite one.

There's a good one called "Best Ads on TV" which is a video one (obviously). Most of the time it is pretty good.

The Onion Radio News is also a must. Updated daily too.

The Interface (by spinner.com) is a good one if you like live music performances. While there are some gems (Neko Case) there are also some duds (Silversun Pickups, for example). There are audio or video versions available.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:44 AM   #23
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
In addition to the CBC Radio 3 podcasts (which are awesome), CBC had a really good thing going with one called Search Engine. An interesting show about how the internet is changing people's lives, politics, etc. and stirred the pot regarding issues like copyright, free speech, etc. It has now been cancelled (even though it was the top-rated podcast in Canada for quite some time - way to go, CBC) but has been resurrected on TVO and is available as a podcast again. Probably my favourite one.
I only found Search Engine about 3 episodes before CBC canned it...what a mistake. It was, as a tech news podcast, heads and tails above something like This Week in Tech. CBC should have kept it and developed their tech journalism
Old 05-28-2009, 01:34 AM   #24
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

the bugle
Slate political podcast
60 minutes (entire show)
the hour with george stromboasdfjlerqwoijrwqous small bits but very good wish it was the whole show
bill maher
the economist
Fareed zakaria to scare the sh t out of you about international stuff
TEDTalks. Absolutely Awesome. Look into TED. Their stuff is all free very, very good.
time's 10 questions.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:19 AM   #25
Flamesguy_SJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

It really disappoints me that The Age of Persuasion with Terry O'Reilly isn't available in podcast yet. Just a great show that looks at advertising and provides little stories behind some of them, or just explores how certain advertisements changed things.

I'm a big fan of Mugglecast, and not ashamed to admit it. I got into the Harry Potter books rather late (after book 7 had been released), so I didn't really have many people to discuss it with, which led to me listening to the Mugglecast chapter discussions etc.

A great music one I always liked was The Rocktologists, but it doesn't look like they're around anymore. It was a classic rock podcast with a theme each week, some of which included Canadian songs/bands ("Oh Canada, Eh?"), Glam Rock ("Glam-o-rama"), acoustic covers/versions of songs ("Strictly Acoustic"), and driving songs ("Classic Rock Hits the Road"). Their website isn't around anymore, which means their library of shows is gone too, but I still have the aforementioned episodes if anyone is interested in giving them a listen.
Flamesguy_SJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:21 AM   #26
Redline
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I second the Bugle and Adam Carolla. Also, This American Life can be entertaining. All the How Stuff Works podcasts are good.
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:33 AM   #27
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I subscribe to:

Adam Carolla
Prime Time Sports
Real Time with Bill Maher
Frosty Heidi and Frank
Grammar Girl's Tips for Better Writing
CNN Reliable Sources
The Ricky Gervais Podcast
Best Ads on TV
The National: At Issue
Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me

I periodically pick up:

Sports Guy Bill Simmons
Dave Dameshek (these past two because they're great guests on Carolla)
The Hour with George Stroumboulopoulos
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:21 PM   #28
snowdude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goon View Post
I subscribe to:

Adam Carolla
Prime Time Sports
Real Time with Bill Maher
Frosty Heidi and Frank
Grammar Girl's Tips for Better Writing
CNN Reliable Sources
The Ricky Gervais Podcast
Best Ads on TV
The National: At Issue
Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me

I periodically pick up:

Sports Guy Bill Simmons
Dave Dameshek (these past two because they're great guests on Carolla)
The Hour with George Stroumboulopoulos

I really like both PTS and Wait Wait.

Also listening to WNYC's Radio Lab lately and really enjoying the stories they do and how they tell them.

Others I subscribe to:
-This American Life
-NPR Planet Money
-Slate Podcasts (have a number of really great round table type podcasts)
-The Tony Kornheiser Show (quirky but pretty good)
-The Dan Patrick Show (about sports, but also pretty funny)

Last edited by snowdude; 09-13-2009 at 03:25 PM.
snowdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:57 PM   #29
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Thanks for the bump, I'm going to check out This American Life.

In regards to the Adam Corolla podcast, I've stopped listening. I was catching up on the eposides and was quite enjoying it till I got the Harland Williams episode. Adam had a rant going, but it got real nasty. He said he believes in torturing and those that don't were gay, etc. I lost interest at that point.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:37 PM   #30
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredr123 View Post
How have they been since they became non-free? I enjoyed them before, mostly for Karl Pilkington and his monkey news and journal entries and such. I haven't come across a podcast, CP Radio included, that I enjoy enough to pay for though.
They're not as good, but the truth is, nothing they've done has ever been as good as their radio days on XFM in London. I still buy what they put out though.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:15 PM   #31
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I only do video podcasts. Bill Maher started as a video podcast, but then went to audio only format. That I would definitely watch....

Uhm... I get "College Humour" and "Onion News". And I've download a few "Nature of Things" and "Fareed Zakaria GPS" episodes.

BTW - slightly off-topic, but I purchased season 2 of "The Practice" from iTunes, which, as far as I know, hasn't been released on DVD. I hope this means more David E. Kelly stuff will follow (more "Picket Fences", "Boston Public", "L.A. Law"). Good to see things that are unlikely to be released as DVD due to production and distribution costs coming up on iTunes.
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:27 PM   #32
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been really into Stop Podcasting Yourself lately.

Two comedians from Vancouver.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:07 PM   #33
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just wanted to bump this. I found a new podcast that some may be interested in if you're a fan of alternative comedy.

RISK!

RISK! the live show has been bringing the exploding storytelling scene and the alt comedy scene in NYC together. People who tell stories for RISK! dig deeper into themselves than they might at other live performances. Because the show's very title is a dare, they go out on a limb and you never know what might happen.

That's why our podcast feels like an R-rated The Moth meets This American Life. We know that, just like the RISK live show in NYC, the podcast will promote itself via word of mouth. This is the first project I've worked on since The State on MTV where I genuinely feel the content is so consistently entertaining, a great climb has begun.

Who's on the podcast this fall? Michael Ian Black, Marc Maron, Andrea Rosen, Adam Wade, Joe Mande, Desiree Burch, Dave Hill, Martin Dockery, Samm Levine... and all the folks doing the Joe's Pub shows!

Check it out!
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:39 AM   #34
FlamingInfinity
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
Thanks for the bump, I'm going to check out This American Life.

In regards to the Adam Corolla podcast, I've stopped listening. I was catching up on the eposides and was quite enjoying it till I got the Harland Williams episode. Adam had a rant going, but it got real nasty. He said he believes in torturing and those that don't were gay, etc. I lost interest at that point.
The Harland Williams ones are terrible. The ones I liked the best are probably the Jack in The Box, Dan Finnerty, as well as Christoph Waltz. You have to realize that half of what Adam spews is just to rant for a rant's sake.

I'm subscribing to
Adam Carolla
Calgary Flames Podcast
CP Radio
GameTrailers.com Video Reviews
Mega64's Podcast
You Suck at Photoshop (Stopped making them quite awhile ago, but still hilarious)
TED Talks (Listen or watch these! It's amazing, the ideas that people have)
Giordano: He plays for the oilers, enough said.
FlamingInfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:44 AM   #35
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I reccommend Ultimate Football Talk.

Basically just two guys (One from Calgary, one from Edmonton) sitting down to talk NFL Football every week....Lots of pop-culture thrown in too, and even some hockey....All done with the explicit tag! Very entertaining....

....at least I think so because I am one of the guys! I would love some feedback if you DO give it a listen. The newest episode has a chat about the Flames deals, The Oscars, and a LOT about the Vikings.
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:46 AM   #36
algernon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hardcore History by Dan Carlin
Brain Stuff from the How Stuff Works people, and
Military History Podcast by George Hageman,who's production is quite low-end, but really well researched. I learned that a man hole cover was the first man made object in space, not Sputnik. Apparently, it was launched during an underground nuclear test.

Oh, and Wiretap from CBC. Goldstein is indeed, GOLD! When I first heard the show on CBC, I wasn't aware that it was made up. <insert bag over head>.

Last edited by algernon; 02-10-2010 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Had forgotten about Wiretap...
algernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:38 PM   #37
Netskot
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
The Ricky Gervais Show needs a mention.
yeah, for only being the greatest podcast ever..

i mean, how does ANYTHING else compare to this?

head like a f*%kin orange!
Netskot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:58 PM   #38
Ro
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Bumping this thread to recommend Superego.

Quite honestly one of the funniest things I've ever encountered. It's a sketch comedy series that is completely based on improv, but edited down into tightly-knit 2-4 minutes sketches that are just completely absurd and hilarious.

For fans of Mr. Show, Monty Python, Human Giant, the stand-up comedy of Paul F. Tompkins (who, coincidentally, is a guest on this show, and also has his own terrific podcast you should check out).

The second season (17 episodes) is free through iTunes as of right now, and TBQH, I can't believe they are free. They have great replay value, and I would've happily paid a buck or two for each episode if I had to. The first season is available via their website for $20 or so I think.

Anyways, can't recommend this enough.
Ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:02 PM   #39
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do:

tech5
Buzz Report
The Vegas Minute

Occasionaly I'll catch GeekBeat.tv (formerly GeekBrief.TV).

one of those 'casts is not like the other.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:07 PM   #40
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Best of the Left is my favourite podcast. They have an iPhone app as well and I listen to that all the time. Some dude basically throws together the best of the left media in ~5 minute clips and he puts three or so shows out every week. He has clips from Colbert, Daily Show, Bill Maher, Rachael Maddow, Wait Wait, Young Turks, and a ton more.

http://www.bestoftheleftpodcast.com/
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote