Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-18-2020, 03:04 PM   #1441
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
The Globe has this awesome quote from KLown about the Stanley Cup being back in Edmonton, albeit just for a visit...couldn't resist posting this gem:

Recent? It's been 30 freakin' years Kevin! Glaciers have melted.... The Berlin Wall fell.... They've made like 9 Star Wars movies since then.....

This man's sense of time is so warped...
He lives in the shared delusion that he helped create for all oilers faithful
Old 09-18-2020, 03:11 PM   #1442
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since 1991, the Pens have 5 Cups so...

In recent times, Oilers are unequivocally no good.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2020, 03:29 PM   #1443
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only skaters for the Oilers, barring any desperate UFA signings, that were alive for the Oilers' last Stanley Cup are James Neal and Kris Russel lol. They would have been in diapers.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:07 PM   #1444
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Globe has this awesome quote from KLown about the Stanley Cup being back in Edmonton, albeit just for a visit...couldn't resist posting this gem:

Recent? It's been 30 freakin' years Kevin! Glaciers have melted.... The Berlin Wall fell.... They've made like 9 Star Wars movies since then.....

Forever 87
Old 09-18-2020, 04:30 PM   #1445
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Since 1991, the Pens have 5 Cups so...

In recent times, Oilers are unequivocally no good.
Also, since the Oilers last touched the Cup: Detroit has won it 4 times; Chicago and New Jersey have won it 3 times; LA and Colorado have won it twice; and 9 separate teams have won it once.

But sure, Kevin, you're absolutely the first thing that comes to mind when people think of the Stanley Cup.

----------

That reminds me of the first time Crosby made the Western Canadian road trip. The media in Vancouver and Calgary covered the story about local fans being excited to see him live for the first time, but in Edmonton, it was all about how Crosby was coming to play on the hallowed ground that Gretzky once walked on. I recall one person actually saying something to the effect of "you can't be a real superstar in the league until you've played in Edmonton because we were home to the greatest superstar of all-time".

In his first media scrum, someone asked him about being excited to play on the same ice where Gretzky won all his Cups, and Crosby just gave a confused look and asked when Gretzky was traded. Someone in the scrum responded "1988", and Crosby said something like, "I was born in 1987. I don't have any memories of watching Gretzky as an Oiler." I wish there was video of it somewhere, but I've never been able to find it. I'm sure the actual thing isn't as amazing as it is in my mind, so maybe I don't want to see it again.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:40 PM   #1446
klikitiklik
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Is it possible for an entire city to be delusional?
Old 09-18-2020, 04:42 PM   #1447
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by klikitiklik View Post
Is it possible for an entire city to be delusional?
It's something in the water.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 12:39 AM   #1448
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only constant in that 15 years of any significance, is Kevin Lowe.

Sure he was forced into he shadows when they got Chia and McLellan for two years, but he jumped on the first chance to take control back and punted those guys out.

Certainly a social experiment to observe how the rubes up there can’t see that and force him out. But Lowe controls the press and thus the message and strokes Katz’s ego and regails him with stories of Wayne and the boys to keep him onside.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 12:42 AM   #1449
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
The only constant in that 15 years of any significance, is Kevin Lowe.

Sure he was forced into he shadows when they got Chia and McLellan for two years, but he jumped on the first chance to take control back and punted those guys out.

Certainly a social experiment to observe how the rubes up there can’t see that and force him out. But Lowe controls the press and thus the message and strokes Katz’s ego and regails him with stories of Wayne and the boys to keep him onside.
But don't you remember? He's won 6 Stanley Cups, nobody knows more about winning than him!
Old 09-19-2020, 10:32 AM   #1450
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
But don't you remember? He's won 6 Stanley Cups, nobody knows more about winning than him!
Half of the league would trade straight up for the oilers roster!

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
The Following User Says Thank You to McG For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 11:19 AM   #1451
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

As mentioned over and over, It's this sort of salesmanship based on delusion that has kept him employed with a fanboy owner, and his snuggling up to the local press, that has kept him safe from scrutiny.

Meanwhile the 9 coaches and 5 GMs they have had in 15 years get mocked and blamed mercilessly in same press for failling under restricted, misguided, unstructured organization and the "I know better then everyone else attitude" that Lowe has,. At various points he can't help himself as he overrules the hockey people incharge (see Kassian's extension from 7 months ago As example 1a) and sets things back once again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 12:12 PM   #1452
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey, Lowe knows a thing or two about winning...

Draft lotteries
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 01:10 PM   #1453
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

It isn't just that the Oilers are at the bottom of the list, it is the MAGNITUDE of their ineptness that is so astounding.

Over time, teams' records will aggregate towards the mean, and separation becomes marginal. But look at the last column, winning percentage. For the first 7 teams, the aggregate drop is 19 bps, or about 3 bps per team. Then things get ugly, as we get to the truly bad teams - the next two teams drop another 18 bps! Those are the worst teams in hockey, the franchises that have completely failed over that timeframe, to the point where they have actually separated themselves from the pack.

Then there is 50 ft of ####.

Then, A FULL 26 bps Lowe'r yet, reside the Edmonton Oilers. They are a statistical anomaly - almost impossibly bad! When you factor in the mean-reverting properties of the draft, and the fact that they have had FOUR #1 overall picks, their ineptitude is truly remarkable.

They are Black Swans. Something truly special!

Also, I find it interesting that, in this summer of over-reactions to the Flames' plight, that no one has mentioned the fact that they do not show up anywhere on the list. Some here like to claim that they are equally as bad as the Oilers, but the evidence laughs in the face of that (not to mention the faces of Kevin Lowe and Oiler faithful).
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 02:23 PM   #1454
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Calgary has had the following iconic films shot here capturing the beauty of the city and surround area: Superman: The Movie, Interstellar, Brokeback Mountain, Inception, Jumanji 3, Revenant, the list goes on and on.

Edmonton has this movie that showcases hmmm their mall I guess?

You mean this wasn’t a documentary?!?
Old 09-19-2020, 09:01 PM   #1455
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffins View Post
I know a couple of the families that lived in the same cul-de-sac. The only PG story I can share about Leo's time there is him and Tom Hardy shooting fireworks off the back deck for new years.

Fun Fact: If you want to see the inside, the same house is in season 1 of Fargo.

Fun Hockey Fact: That lot was originally owned by Rick Tabaracci
A couple eh?

haha, I remember spying out the window, but they'd just roll in with all those black suburbans.. .
Old 09-19-2020, 09:21 PM   #1456
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Calgary has had the following iconic films shot here capturing the beauty of the city and surround area: Superman: The Movie, Interstellar, Brokeback Mountain, Inception, Jumanji 3, Revenant, the list goes on and on.

Edmonton has this movie that showcases hmmm their mall I guess?

Quote:
With all due respect to his memory, it is truly execrable, a tawdry seasonal exploitation pic set almost entirely within a giant mall. Swayze fans, do yourself a favour and rent Point Break instead.
Quote:
Christmas in Wonderland kills Christmas and Chris Kattan's career in one fell Santa swoop.
Quote:
The ensuing shambles features Tim Curry as a gormless copper, two Home Alone-style villains and the worst CG elves we've ever seen
Quote:
Traditionally dreadful Christmas comedy that's brought down by a combination of atrocious acting, terrible writing, cloying sentimentality and jaw-droppingly bad special effects.
Quote:
The note of morbidity lends faint interest to a film that's like spending an hour and a half inside an Argos catalogue.
Quote:
Swayze is given little to work with as the bewildered dad, while Tim Curry's shameless turn as a Royal Mountie with an inexplicable Scot's accent is sheer panto excess.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/chr..._in_wonderland

E=ng
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Vail For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 11:23 PM   #1457
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

The movie list left out Legends of the Fall and that Jesse James movie. Brad Pitt likes it here.
Old 09-19-2020, 11:43 PM   #1458
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
River valley.
After spending the summer there, this seems to have morphed into the ICE District..man they're proud of what they're building there. Congrats on finally making that part of the city not crappy anymore, pump the brakes..
Old 09-20-2020, 10:51 AM   #1459
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDTsvtTj...d=p8p8gg4vlwl7

Anyone listen to this?

Any guess where Ryan Smyth now lives?

NSFW!
Old 09-20-2020, 12:02 PM   #1460
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The movie list left out Legends of the Fall and that Jesse James movie. Brad Pitt likes it here.
Off topic, but Legends of the Fall was originally going to be filmed in Winnipeg, but the City refused to be flexible in allowing them to remove trees, even though they would have been replaced.