Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-18-2020, 10:51 AM   #21
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Maybe I’m misremembering but I thought families were permitted for the conference finals in the original plan.
They were, but you still have to follow the government's restrictions to legally enter Canada and travel to Edmonton. Anyone entering Canada is required to quarantine for 14 days (and you need to find a flight that can get you to Edmonton). Even flying from somewhere else in Canada has its own restrictions.

Since Dowling lives in Cochrane, his wife and daughter just needed to make the short drive to Edmonton and quarantine for a few days until passing the required number of tests.

There are a few players on the remaining teams who are originally from Alberta and Saskatchewan (Fedun is even from Edmonton), but that doesn't necessarily mean that's where their wives and kids live.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:20 AM   #22
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^ if someone resides in Edmonton, do you really call that living?
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:06 AM   #23
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Good article. 9 players anonymously talk about their experience in the bubbles.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...n-playoff-hubs

Looks like a major complaint from the players was the NHL underdelivered on many of the promised amenities, activities, and food options and there was also great disparity on what was available among different teams.

Based on these player's experiences, it doesn't seem likely that the players would easily agree to a bubble again.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 11:57 AM   #24
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't get the mountain views they were promised?
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:17 PM   #25
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Didn't get the mountain views they were promised?
Among other things.

Some of these seem like legitimate complaints, some seem a little...nitpicky.

In fairness, if the NHL did promise a bunch of this stuff to get the players on board that seems shady and under-handed, but at the same time if the players seriously expected some of this stuff that seems hilariously naïve.

Offering preferred treatment to higher seeded teams....

I'm not sure where I stand on that. It seems like you should give the higher seeds some kind of advantage, but at the same time it probably shouldnt be food or amenities. Nicer Hotel Rooms...that seems minor, but okay.

This was never going to be perfect. I draw the line at outright lying to players. But they have 0 COVID cases, so they've got that going for them. Which is nice.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:44 PM   #26
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bubble Life in Edmonton must be what it felt like to be stuffed in The Hole at Shawshank.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-22-2020, 08:29 PM   #27
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Bubble Life in Edmonton must be what it felt like to be stuffed in The Hole at Shawshank.
Regular life in Edmonton too. Would rather be in The Hole.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:35 PM   #28
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
"In the little brochure they sent, there was a picture of a man fly fishing in the mountains, and one of the guys was like, 'Where did they get this picture of the mountains? The mountains are three hours away,'" a Western Conference player said.
Lol
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:42 PM   #29
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

While it is kind of weird that it sounds like some serious misconstrued messaging was going on from the NHL.... millions of people work for very long periods of time away from their families. It’s actually fairly common.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:45 PM   #30
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
While it is kind of weird that it sounds like some serious misconstrued messaging was going on from the NHL.... millions of people work for very long periods of time away from their families. It’s actually fairly common.
And it’s probably very hard for them too.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 09:54 PM   #31
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I get the feeling that perhaps the plan was too ambitious for the time they had to prepare everything and they failed on some of their promises because of that, not that they were being intentionally shady.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:57 PM   #32
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Even though there’s a lot of focus on the broken promises, pretty much everyone said they’d do it again (with tweaks/improvements) but not for a whole season.

Also for the posters who are constantly whining about the cup champ having an asterisk and the hockey sucking and won’t shut up about it, well, you’re wrong.

Quote:
Said a Western Conference player: "There was definitely chatter of what teams wanted to be there and what teams wanted to be home. Ultimately, I think everyone realizes, whoever ends up winning the Cup this summer is a very deserving champion. We're going to remember that team forever. The grind this year makes it perhaps even harder to win."
And they all agreed the hockey was still good quality even without fans.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 09-22-2020 at 10:00 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:03 PM   #33
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Even though there’s a lot of focus on the broken promises, pretty much everyone said they’d do it again (with tweaks/improvements) but not for a whole season.

Also for the posters who are constantly whining about the cup champ having an asterisk and the hockey sucking and won’t shut up about it, well, you’re wrong.

And they all agreed the hockey was still good quality even without fans.
I've heard numerous times from various players that once the puck drops they don't even notice the lack of fans. Hanifin said this on Spittin Chicklets the other day too, said the only time he really noticed as after a goal or a fight.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:21 PM   #34
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

this is all I think about when I hear life in the bubble.
Moops!
Old 09-23-2020, 01:03 AM   #35
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'm not sure where I stand on that. It seems like you should give the higher seeds some kind of advantage, but at the same time it probably shouldnt be food or amenities. Nicer Hotel Rooms...that seems minor, but okay.
How I read that, it seemed like it was the teams who chose to provide better food to their players. Florida wasn't willing to pay anything extra, so their players got nothing. The Habs were willing to spend, so their players had extra stuff.

Maybe that's why the Stars are doing so well. Their owner also owns Denny's Canada and Moxie's, so they're fueled by Eggs Over My Hammy and White Chocolate Brownies.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:59 AM   #36
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems to me that all teams should have had the same food and hotel arrangements but at the end of the day this sounds like a house league tourney where the rich teams stayed in the nice hotels and the poor teams brought their own food and where four guys to a room

I was a little bit surprised to read that gummy edibles were available

To me the only way you put an asterisk on the winner is if a team that that would not have normally qualified for the playoffs got in and won and even then.

Certainly the lack of travel makes this easier, but can you imagine going away for work for two or so months without having access to a lot of things that make up normal life like getting outside, sleeping in your own bed and inter-personal relationships. In a lot of ways this is a real grind
Old 09-23-2020, 09:21 AM   #37
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Seems to me that all teams should have had the same food and hotel arrangements but at the end of the day this sounds like a house league tourney where the rich teams stayed in the nice hotels and the poor teams brought their own food and where four guys to a room

I was a little bit surprised to read that gummy edibles were available

To me the only way you put an asterisk on the winner is if a team that that would not have normally qualified for the playoffs got in and won and even then.

Certainly the lack of travel makes this easier, but can you imagine going away for work for two or so months without having access to a lot of things that make up normal life like getting outside, sleeping in your own bed and inter-personal relationships. In a lot of ways this is a real grind
Don’t teams make their individual travel arrangements anyway? In other words, in normal POs, the Flames book their own hotels and therefore control the “niceness” of the accommodation. As far as I could tell the constraint at the beginning was that the best hotels were full and some teams got stuck with a second rate one (and then they moved after the first round).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:48 AM   #38
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Don’t teams make their individual travel arrangements anyway? In other words, in normal POs, the Flames book their own hotels and therefore control the “niceness” of the accommodation. As far as I could tell the constraint at the beginning was that the best hotels were full and some teams got stuck with a second rate one (and then they moved after the first round).
They had 2 hotels in each bubble, the higher seeded teams were given the nicer of the two hotels, then when some of the teams were eliminated in the qualifying round, the higher ranked qualifying round winners moved over to the nicer property, then after round 1, they should have all been in the nicer hotels.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:19 AM   #39
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I've heard that Ryan Getzlaf has purchased a house in Regina. I think that's where he's from. I was told that in case the NHL plays the season in the Edmonton bubble that he wants his family living in Canada to avoid border issues.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:49 AM   #40
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I've heard that Ryan Getzlaf has purchased a house in Regina. I think that's where he's from. I was told that in case the NHL plays the season in the Edmonton bubble that he wants his family living in Canada to avoid border issues.
He probably managed that with the spare change in his car's center console.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: