Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2021, 10:48 AM   #1
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Flames Current Lineup

Honestly at this point I wouldn’t change anything because the team is on a roll.

Our first line is amazing. New Backlund line is also effective. The 4th vet line plays effective minutes.

I like the current defensive pairings and the goaltending is out of this world.

If I had to experiment at all the one thing I think I would try would be Pelletier in for Pitlick. The third line is the one line that doesn’t seem to have a lot of chemistry. I’d try the move just as an experiment during the home stand to see what happens.

Wondering if Valimaki is going to get moved. He seems to be in Sutter’s doghouse both this year and last year. I know a lot of people don’t like Zadorov. But I honestly can’t see him going anywhere. With Stone around as well as Mackey on the farm it seems like a possibility.

Anyone else have any ideas? Or just continue on as is?
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2021, 10:54 AM   #2
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we definitely have some pieces we could use to inject some more offensive flare into the middle 6.

On the block
Dube
Valimaki
Monahan (offer retention?)
22 1st
Zary/Pelletier

Should target
Top 6 talent right hand shot preferred
Veteran 3rd line Center

It’ll be interesting to see how Brad proceeds but I do agree it’s hard to want to make any moves with how good the roster is performing right now.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 10:56 AM   #3
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Honestly at this point I wouldn’t change anything because the team is on a roll.

Our first line is amazing. New Backlund line is also effective. The 4th vet line plays effective minutes.

I like the current defensive pairings and the goaltending is out of this world.

If I had to experiment at all the one thing I think I would try would be Pelletier in for Pitlick. The third line is the one line that doesn’t seem to have a lot of chemistry. I’d try the move just as an experiment during the home stand to see what happens.

Wondering if Valimaki is going to get moved. He seems to be in Sutter’s doghouse both this year and last year. I know a lot of people don’t like Zadorov. But I honestly can’t see him going anywhere. With Stone around as well as Mackey on the farm it seems like a possibility.

Anyone else have any ideas? Or just continue on as is?
I think Tre really value defensive depth and would be selling low on Valimaki now. Almost every year when playoffs are a possibility, he brings in an extra depth defenceman. But almost never gives up a defenceman mid-season.

Regardless of what happens, I highly doubt that Valimaki gets moved this year. Injuries are inevitable and he will get into the rotation soon enough.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PugnaciousIntern For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2021, 10:59 AM   #4
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Another top9 winger is needed. Someone like Nils Hoglander or Denis Gurianov would be perfect for the third line instead of Pitlick

Otherwise the lineup is fine.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 11:04 AM   #5
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I wouldn’t mind seeing an upgrade on Pitlick on that line as well. I just don’t know if it’s a good idea to bring Pelletier up yet. A full season in the AHL with no interruptions for him will bode well.
I think Dube has regressed a bit since being moved back to the wing. Hopefully he can start living up to his potential soon as that would really help that line too.

It is really unfortunate that Valimaki isn’t playing any hockey. He needs to play to get some confidence built up. For the sake of the player it would be nice if he could go down and play too pairing for the Heat. I can’t see him getting in to too many games under Sutter and I can see him being moved soon
Old 11-21-2021, 11:05 AM   #6
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm fine with the lineup as is. However, if top pairing 2-way defenceman on the right side of 30 becomes available, that would be an acquisition i support. Forwards should be upgraded internally imo
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 11:12 AM   #7
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Jarnkrok could be a great buy low candidate. He’s having a terrible year in Seattle with 0p, and -8. That said he was an awesome 15g 35p guy in Nashville. He’s also Lindholm’s cousin, and obviously Swedish.

As for the lineup I still think we should switch Tkachuk and Coleman. I think Coleman’s speed would work great with Gaudreau off the rush. Meanwhile, Tkachuk - Backlund - Mangiapane have had chemistry in the past. Also give Mangiapane some PP1 time and Coleman PP2.

PS: I want to see Duehr in the line up again, and see Pelletier get a cup of coffee in the bigs.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 11:18 AM   #8
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

This was yesterday's lineup vs the Islanders and has been the regular lineup besides Dan Vladar and we still have Juuso Valimaki on D.

Our top line is as good as anyone's in the league, currently combined for 55 points through 18 games played.

As good as Andrew Mangiapane has been there's a bit of a drop off in points from his linemates Blake Coleman and Mikael Backlund. Although Mangiapane also plays on the powerplay.

There could be some improvements made to the 3rd line, maybe even another forward on the roster challenging for a lineup spot. Will we see more of Walker Duehr?

The Flames are in a good spot right now and are winning and as long as that keeps up maybe they wouldn't make any changes.

I still think they will though and add another good player via trade but then you're losing one of our current roster players.

Last edited by Macman; 11-21-2021 at 11:28 AM.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 11:18 AM   #9
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
I think Jarnkrok could be a great buy low candidate. He’s having a terrible year in Seattle with 0p, and -8. That said he was an awesome 15g 35p guy in Nashville. He’s also Lindholm’s cousin, and obviously Swedish.

As for the lineup I still think we should switch Tkachuk and Coleman. I think Coleman’s speed would work great with Gaudreau off the rush. Meanwhile, Tkachuk - Backlund - Mangiapane have had chemistry in the past. Also give Mangiapane some PP1 time and Coleman PP2.

PS: I want to see Duehr in the line up again, and see Pelletier get a cup of coffee in the bigs.
Curious who sits for Jarnkrok, Pelletier and Deuhr ? Or just assuming injuries for the young guys to get in?

Last edited by Kipper_3434; 11-21-2021 at 11:21 AM. Reason: played sp. Punctuation (fear of textcritic)
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 11:42 AM   #10
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Mangiapane, and Kylinton all need new contracts next season and they all will garner significant raises. I think it is a good time for the Flames to clear out any "maybes" such as Monahan, Valimaki, and Dube because the team can't afford to keep everyone.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 12:11 PM   #11
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pitlick is the only guy on the roster that I think isn’t a great fit. Dube seems to be in a rut. But more potential than Pitlick for sure.

I know there’s a lot of hate for Zadorov but he’s cleaning up the turnovers recently and he’s too physical to take out of the lineup in my mind.
Old 11-21-2021, 12:15 PM   #12
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

As an aside. I know Sutter gets credited with a lot of the turnaround. But I think bringing in Muller was a brilliant move.

Whoever is looking after the special teams has also done an amazing job.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2021, 12:31 PM   #13
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Mangiapane, and Kylinton all need new contracts next season and they all will garner significant raises. I think it is a good time for the Flames to clear out any "maybes" such as Monahan, Valimaki, and Dube because the team can't afford to keep everyone.
We need to be patient with Dube and Valimaki!

They are also cheap NHL players so they help with the cap situation.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2021, 01:08 PM   #14
robertsfanatic
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
if they don't resign Pitlick and Zadorov they would have about 7 million (including Brouwer's buyout) to use for raises before any trades need to happen.
Old 11-21-2021, 01:42 PM   #15
MikeMc
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Dube hasn't been great but I'm guessing it's hard to be a winger on Monahan's line.

Monahan doesn't drive the play like a natural center does and he's usually slower than his linemates. Part of Dube's struggle is tied to this.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
MikeMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 02:02 PM   #16
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc View Post
Dube hasn't been great but I'm guessing it's hard to be a winger on Monahan's line.

Monahan doesn't drive the play like a natural center does and he's usually slower than his linemates. Part of Dube's struggle is tied to this.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
Was Gaudreau’s problem last year.
Old 11-21-2021, 02:03 PM   #17
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsfanatic View Post
if they don't resign Pitlick and Zadorov they would have about 7 million (including Brouwer's buyout) to use for raises before any trades need to happen.
Guess you’re 2 guys short though. Pitlick could probably be replaced by someone from the heat. Don’t think Zadorov could though.
Old 11-21-2021, 02:04 PM   #18
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsfanatic View Post

Carrying 7D instead of 8 frees up an additional $0.75M.

Assuming that Gaudreau and Tkachuk's raises take up $5M of that $7.75M, there's only $2.75M remaining to give Mangiapane and Kylington raises.

The Flames would be banking on Mangiapane signing for around $4M/year and Kylington signing for around $2M/year.

I don't see how Treliving can keep the team together without making a trade, unless they know of some creative cap wizardry that can be done (e.g. buying out Monahan and re-signing him for league minimum or something crazy like that)
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boogerz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2021, 02:08 PM   #19
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

When are Lucic and Monahan’s contracts up? They are the bears of the team salaries.

Edit. Both have a year after this year. They will have a problem.

Last edited by Goriders; 11-21-2021 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-21-2021, 02:13 PM   #20
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
When are Lucic and Monahan’s contracts up? They are the bears of the team salaries.
At the end of the following season 22/23

We really need to find a way to hang on to the true talent of this club in Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Mangiapane and suddenly Kylington is elbowing his way into this group as well. It’s a difficult task for Treliving ahead but I’d hate to lose any of these players now outside of an overpayment in a trade which is highly unlikely.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote