Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2020, 03:16 PM   #101
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well. I wanted Gawdin to make the starting 12, but Simon and Nordstrom are guys who should also be in a starting lineup too.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:18 PM   #102
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Simon wore #49 in Pittsburgh before 2018. I believe that is free.

Could be appropriate depending on what the 4th jerseys are.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 03:22 PM   #103
FlamesFanInEdmonton
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
So they shouldn't also address other things, like depth? Does everything else have to stop until they can do something about the top line?
No, but I appreciate your attempts to twist my words. My point is and was that not a damn thing has happened to change up the top forwards on this team. I’m happy BT has addressed goaltending finally and that clearly made sense. Letting Jankowski and Reider walk made sense also. What doesn’t make sense to me is replacing those guys with other teams scrap. We should be bringing up our own guys and giving them a chance to further develop.

All that aside, it’s looking more and more likely that we are rolling with both Monahan and Gaudreau once again. Apparently there have been zero lessons learned there. When do you suggest we can do something about the top line? The ideal time to do that has passed and let’s be honest. Most of us knew there was a change required to the top line prior to this season but we rolled with It anyhow.
FlamesFanInEdmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:27 PM   #104
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tre must LOVE left-handed shots!
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:30 PM   #105
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've loosely followed him as he was a depth guy on my keeper league team. He did there what I would expect him to do on the Flames: a low cost guy who will put up some points with some potential to pop a bit if the stars all aligned. Other than not being a right shot he fits our needs well.

(as an aside and shameless plug, since many of you seem to think you are GM material, we have an opening in our keeper league for a new GM. 24 teams means you learn about guy like Simon before lots of others do. ;-) We are starting year 12 this season.)

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:40 PM   #106
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanInEdmonton View Post
No, but I appreciate your attempts to twist my words. My point is and was that not a damn thing has happened to change up the top forwards on this team. I’m happy BT has addressed goaltending finally and that clearly made sense. Letting Jankowski and Reider walk made sense also. What doesn’t make sense to me is replacing those guys with other teams scrap. We should be bringing up our own guys and giving them a chance to further develop.
Of course it makes sense, since most NHL players develop over a couple of seasons of shuttling back and forth from the minors. Andrew Mangiapane took two years playing AHL/NHL splits of 39/10 GP and 15/44 before breaking through to solidify his spot. Dillon Dube played 37/25 and 13/45 over that same period of time. I don't see a single forward prospect that is as good today as either one of Mangiapane or Dube when they played their first NHL games. It is smart to ease players like Phillips, Gawdin and Ruzicka into the lineup, and adding bonafide NHL depth accomplishes precisely that.

Quote:
All that aside, it’s looking more and more likely that we are rolling with both Monahan and Gaudreau once again. Apparently there have been zero lessons learned there. When do you suggest we can do something about the top line? The ideal time to do that has passed and let’s be honest. Most of us knew there was a change required to the top line prior to this season but we rolled with It anyhow.
What change is that?

I would suggest that as much as we may have wanted a new look for the top line, and as deeply as Treliving probed to ascertain the feasibility of making it happen, the market was clearly not right. At this point it makes NO SENSE to swap out one of Gaudreau or Monahan in a trade unless it provides a clear upgrade. I don't see that happening for this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 03:45 PM   #107
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Wrong again. They do not meet exposure requirements because they signed 1 year deals.

If the Flames sign them to contract extensions, then yes they would.
Stop it, he’s dead already.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 03:49 PM   #108
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
I've loosely followed him as he was a depth guy on my keeper league team. He did there what I would expect him to do on the Flames: a low cost guy who will put up some points with some potential to pop a bit if the stars all aligned. Other than not being a right shot he fits our needs well.

(as an aside and shameless plug, since many of you seem to think you are GM material, we have an opening in our keeper league for a new GM. 24 teams means you learn about guy like Simon before lots of others do. ;-) We are starting year 12 this season.)
Can you message me with the details. The guy who ran our yearly league passed away this year and I am without a league now. Also robbed me of my first place finish and prize money...(its ok, he would have found that funny)

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:56 PM   #109
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Lol at people worried about Rinaldo not getting ice time.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:56 PM   #110
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why should we hand guys a job? If 'our own guys' are better, they will make the team. If they aren't, they won't. I want the best players, regardless of which organization they are from.
Quote:
Again, the first line has nothing to do with signing depth players. both can be improved, they are not mutually exclusive.

But I would very much like to hear what you think they can/should do about the top line.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 04:02 PM   #111
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Just catching up on the rest of the thread, holy crap RDW getting absolutely owned time and time again is amazing. How does the guy keep getting up after so many TKOs by Sureloss?

Amazing.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 04:04 PM   #112
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You should show your work. They improved goaltending and then had to address Brodie’s departure and fill in the bottom simply because of the holes there. So what was the deal to improve the top line (keeping in mind you needed at least $8M for Hall).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 04:04 PM   #113
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

https://dkpittsburghsports.com/2020/...salary-cap-tlh

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 04:06 PM   #114
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Lol at people worried about Rinaldo not getting ice time.
Robinson should be above Rinaldo in the pecking order IMO.

He looked good at playing an uptempo style, hitting and grinding along the boards and he’s a bigger bodied RHS.

On a 1-way deal as opposed to Rinaldo’s 2-way if that even matters but still..

Having said all that I’m perfectly fine with Robinson as the 13th forward.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 04:13 PM   #115
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

From the article...
Quote:
Simon spent almost a third of his ice time in the 2018-19 season on the top line with Sidney Crosby and Jake Guentzel, and while he only scored eight goals and 20 assists himself that season, the top line produced the most by far when Simon was on it, at a rate of 5.30 goals per 60 minutes. His 18 even strength assists that season were the sixth-most on that team that season, following Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Guentzel, Phil Kessel, and Kris Letang.
Though he didn't get a lot of points while playing with Crosby, the line was very productive. You can do other things like causing havoc, and going to the front of the net, to help make your line productive.

Really liking the things I am reading about him. Same with Nordstrom. The team is adding the kinds of guys you win with. Tanev can be included in that as well.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 04:22 PM   #116
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're upset with a guy signing for less than a mil, then you're just searching for things to get mad about.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 04:23 PM   #117
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like this signing a lot. I think Simon has some speed and skill and would fit in well on Bennett's other wing.

I think Enoch Root already posted this, but I agree with how he sees the bottom 6 after this signing:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Mangiapane
Simon - Bennett - Dube
Lucic - Ryan - Gawdin

Nordstrom/Rinaldo
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 04:29 PM   #118
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
If nothing else changes maybe roll:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk
Mangiapane-Backlund-Lindholm
Lucic-Bennett-Dube
Nordstrom-Ryan-Simon
I'm actually a big fan of switching Tkachuk and Lindholm and seeing how it works this season.

Having Monahan and Lindholm, who are both shoot first players, on that line puts a lot more pressure on Gaudreau to be a distributor. I think adding in Tkachuk who is more playmaker first with finishing ability will open up more space for Monahan to shoot as well as take some of the pressure off gaudreau. Plus Tkachuk being as defensively responsible as Lindholm replaces that element of Lindholm's game on that line.

Then adding a good right handed face-off guy to our shutdown line who can take strong side draws without subtracting any defensive ability and maybe just a little offence is also a win.

And from what I've been reading about Simon I also like the idea of potentially putting him in Lucic's spot. If he can keep up with Crosby and Guentzal decently well maybe he has a little more to offer that line than Lucic does? worth a shot at least. Plus I think a Lucic - Ryan - Nordstrom line would be pretty solid. Wouldn't score all that much but they'd be hard to play against and wouldn't be a liability.
BigErnSalute_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 04:35 PM   #119
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think my only question with Simon is... "How fast is he?"
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 04:40 PM   #120
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

When the Flames signed Nordstrom I was a little bit disappointed because I wanted Simon a little bit more.

More than happy with both.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post: