Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2020, 10:55 AM   #61
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree on the "letting him loose" philosophy at this point in his development. He's learned how to be reliable in his own zone so long as he's got a strong defensive partner. I don't think he'll ever be great defensively either, and I also agree that you have to maximize the benefit he provides, which should be transition and driving the play into the offensive zone, more of a rover type of defenseman.

Between him and Hanifin, I think we are underutilizing the talent we have. Both of those guys are never going to be more than, "just okay" defensively, but they have the ability to skate with the puck and make plays in transition. If I was the coach, I would be urging them to skate up ice as soon as they get the puck to put pressure on the other team's defense. Coach a forward to hang back to cover for them if they're on a rush. That could instantly lead to more offense because you break down the coverage and systems. Chaos always creates more offense, but sometimes that chaos can go both ways, so you have to learn to live with it. But Gaudreau thrives on chaos in the offensive zone. If he can't create his own chaos, but someone else can, he often cleans up and finds ways to score once the defense is broken down a little.

If the Flames had a superior goalie to cover up a few errors now and then, that would be the best strategy.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2020, 11:12 AM   #62
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hanifin - Andersson (22 minutes)
Giordano - Kylington (20 minutes)
Valimaki - Hjarlmasson (18 minutes)

In a 5v5 world. Sound good?
Old 10-04-2020, 11:14 AM   #63
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Ooh, I would love me some Nik Hjalmarsson.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:15 AM   #64
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

He is available, and not overly expensive. I'd love to pick him up and then just work on the forward core. Tre is overthinking things.
Old 10-04-2020, 11:22 AM   #65
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hasn't Hjammer said he won't waive his NMC at all? At least that was the last rumor I heard.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:25 AM   #66
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Hanifin - Andersson (22 minutes)
Giordano - Kylington (20 minutes)
Valimaki - Hjarlmasson (18 minutes)

In a 5v5 world. Sound good?
You need at least 8 NHL defensemen to tackle a season - especially if it is a condensed season. So who are your #7 and 8? I assume Mackey - Yelesin

(what you're showing would be awful for a full season, but if there were injuries - which there would be - it would be beyond awful.)

If we added Brodie, then it is NHL ready:

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Andersson
Valimaki - Hjalmasson
Mackey - Kylington

with Kylington and Hjalmarsson switching out.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:33 AM   #67
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
You need at least 8 NHL defensemen to tackle a season - especially if it is a condensed season. So who are your #7 and 8? I assume Mackey - Yelesin

(what you're showing would be awful for a full season, but if there were injuries - which there would be - it would be beyond awful.)

If we added Brodie, then it is NHL ready:

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Andersson
Valimaki - Hjalmasson
Mackey - Kylington

with Kylington and Hjalmarsson switching out.
If we re-sign Brodie or another dman on his level I would just roll:

Gio-Brodie
Hanifin-Andersson
Valimaki-Kylington
Mackey-Yelesin

Maybe sign someone to sit in the press box as the #7.

I don’t want a 33yo dman taking ice time away from Kylington. It’s time to give him top 6 mins all season long and if he is sitting it should be Mackey coming in IMO.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:34 AM   #68
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

ER, I disagree with everything you said except Yelesin-Mackey.

If you don't let players take the next step, they never will. Pairing a second year player (5th year pro) with Giordano and an advanced rookie with a wily vet is exactly how you develop a young player.
Old 10-04-2020, 11:35 AM   #69
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Good young D-men are hard to find... but it's always easy to find additional veteran insurance.

I say you roll into the season prepared to give the youth some rope. If they don't earn it, you make some calls.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:35 AM   #70
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

If you don't let players take the next step, they never will. Pairing a second year player (5th year pro) with Giordano and an advanced rookie with a wily vet is exactly how you develop a young player.
You can disagree, but he's completely correct in everything he said. That was a terrible idea.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:37 AM   #71
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
If we re-sign Brodie or another dman on his level I would just roll:

Gio-Brodie
Hanifin-Andersson
Valimaki-Kylington
Mackey-Yelesin

Maybe sign someone to sit in the press box as the #7.

I don’t want a 33yo dman taking ice time away from Kylington. It’s time to give him top 6 mins all season long and if he is sitting it should be Mackey coming in IMO.
I don't disagree with what you are saying - I want those guys to get ice-time as well.

However, if we could get Hjalmarsson for cheap, as insurance, I would be all for it. Come playoffs, it would be well worth it.

What I should have posted was:

3: Valimaki - Kylington/Hjalmarsson
4: Mackey - Hjalmarsson/Kylington
Old 10-04-2020, 11:40 AM   #72
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Promoting defensemen too quickly, and giving them more responsibility than they are ready for, is a good way to ruin them. And to ruin the season.

Throwing forwards into the mix is no problem. But throwing defensemen into the top 4 before they are ready, is asking for problems.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2020, 07:18 PM   #73
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Promoting defensemen too quickly, and giving them more responsibility than they are ready for, is a good way to ruin them. And to ruin the season.

Throwing forwards into the mix is no problem. But throwing defensemen into the top 4 before they are ready, is asking for problems.
Yup agree with you 100% which is why I've been constantly harping against seeing Valimaki in Calgary's Top 4 pretty much since he was drafted. I get it, the kid has talent and the Flames are high on him, but he's still an inexperienced kid who will need time to develop. He isn't a better defenseman than Hanifin today and won't be when the season starts. And I don't even think Hanifin is that great of a defenseman.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:55 PM   #74
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that outside of two miserable games in a row for Kylington last season, he made few errors. I also thought it was a mistake to trade for Fattenberg, and then for Forbort/Gustafsson - but I understand why they did so. There is zero argument to be made - WITH HINDSIGHT - that those trades moved out needed assets + removed valuable development minutes. I understand why Treliving did it of course, but in hindsight, this organization would have been a bit further ahead had he not.

As for Kylington not showing offence - I think it has a lot to do with the system. Most defencemen took a hit on their production this year, and with him being on the third pairing and no PP time, I don't think you can reasonably expect him to produce much. He does have a really nice shot - both a wrister and slapper - and he excels at moving the puck. A quick transition coupled with a pat on the back from Ward encouraging him to jump into the rush now and then will go a long way I bet.

If the Flames end up re-signing Brodie (which I am REALLY hoping for), then I think they are fine on defence.

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Andersson
Valimaki - Kylington
Mackey - Yelesin

Mackey seems further developed than just a guy turning pro, but could use seasoning on the farm to start at least, and then come up and play injury minutes. Yelesin I thought looked like a decent option as well - a bit raw, but much stronger than I expected.

You only really need to sign a 7th D - not a 5th or a 6th - those spots should belong to Valimaki and Kylington. I think they are both ready. Get a cheap 7th D and you are done on defence - and it isn't going to cost you all that much either, so you can use the savings for the goalie/forward holes instead.

I would actually like to see Kylington get some reps on PP2 and see how he does. I bet he impresses.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2020, 11:56 PM   #75
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
The Kylington makes lots of mistakes story is overrated. That used to be true. But watching him play his 48 games in 19-20, I didn’t see a lot of huge mistakes. I did see some pretty exciting playmaking ability as the season went on.

My worst-case scenario for Kylington is Seattle takes him before Calgary gives him a shot at being an everyday NHLer. In Seattle, he uses his awesome tools and improved decision-making to become a great, young NHL defenceman.

I agree with the move him to the right side crowd.

Please stop putting Kylington in the press box and replacement level plugs in the lineup. So frustrating!
Worst case Seattle turns around and trades him to Edmonton
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 12:05 PM   #76
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Corey Pronman @coreypronman
With two points in today's Liiga game, it is the first time Juuso Valimaki who missed the entire season due to injury, has hit the scoresheet since April 17, 2019.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:08 AM   #77
Unknown
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Ilves currently trailing 2-3 against KooKoo. Välimäki two primary assists so far. 10mins left.

E: Juuso drew a penalty, now quarterbacking the 1st PP.

Last edited by Unknown; 10-10-2020 at 10:10 AM.
Unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unknown For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2020, 10:13 AM   #78
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown View Post
Ilves currently trailing 2-3 against KooKoo. Välimäki two primary assists so far. 10mins left.

E: Juuso drew a penalty, now quarterbacking the 1st PP.
That gives him 4 points in 4 games.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2020, 10:20 AM   #79
Unknown
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
That gives him 4 points in 4 games.
Yup. In this game, he was close to score, but the shot came off from the post.
Unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:49 AM   #80
Mitch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This guy will be our best dman within the next 2 yrs. Book it.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mitch For This Useful Post: