Old 03-30-2010, 05:58 AM   #61
Pastiche
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastiche View Post
Has anyone heard these speakers?

http://www.orbaudio.com/

Wondering if they're overpriced and if I'm getting sucked into the really nice looking form factor.
So I take it no one's heard them.
Pastiche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:41 AM   #62
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Personaly no..But I did get my speakers set up and my new component shelves for my stair way! Wire management is still not to the point I would like but it is alot better then it was before hand. Tonight I am going to hang my projector from the ceiling instead of a shelf mount
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:18 PM   #63
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hey guys I just set up an ir transmitter so I can have all my components behind shelf and I have run into a problem. I cannot for the life of me find the remote code for my receiver. The system is onkyo s 5100 and receiver is ht r560 any help would be great!

Ok so I have audio as well as switching functions. To turn off the receiver I needed to add another setting. Anyone know if there is a code that will do it all in one? Also I can't seem to find a button that will switch from a and b speakers.

Last edited by fundmark19; 04-12-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:59 AM   #64
OBCT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Hey guys I just set up an ir transmitter so I can have all my components behind shelf and I have run into a problem. I cannot for the life of me find the remote code for my receiver. The system is onkyo s 5100 and receiver is ht r560 any help would be great!

Ok so I have audio as well as switching functions. To turn off the receiver I needed to add another setting. Anyone know if there is a code that will do it all in one? Also I can't seem to find a button that will switch from a and b speakers.
This seems like a common - and strangely difficult to fix - problem. Here are a couple of people with a near-identical issue and no resolution. [link]

Not that it has direct bearing on your question, but I'm wondering what make and model your remote and IR transmitter are. Sometimes the manufacturer of these items will have a comprehensive list of supported codes.

Otherwise, Onkyo really should have that information readily available... somehwere. You could always call or email them (though they are not known for speedy customer service). [link]

One website states that your code is going to be one of these three: 209, 214, 240. No harm in trying, I suppose. *shrug*

I actually own almost the identical Onkyo home theater in a box system as you do. After adding a PS3 to my entertainment center this winter, the jumble of remotes needed to do everything I wanted to do was getting complicated and cluttered. I decided to buy a used older Harmony remote on eBay. It works great for my receiver (all the basic stuff worked automatically once I ran the program wizard), and can be customized to accommodate most special functions, such as switching speakers A/B.

The reason I bring this up is not to suggest that you go out and get exactly what I have, but to show that there is a working code for our otherwise unlisted receivers - in Harmony's database, at least - and that theoretically, it shouldn't be too hard to find. Maybe drop Harmony a line? [link]

I'm not sure if companies pay/get paid big bucks for these lists and therefore have incentive to keep them secret. It would be great if they were all published freely somewhere.

(who knows, maybe they are and I just can't find 'em?)

Good luck in your search!!
Old 04-13-2010, 11:27 AM   #65
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wow thanks for the post! I have started looking around for remotes and would like to try and not spend that much money on one. I actually just bought a cheapo IR kit off of ebay. I wasn't expecting much out of it but works perfectly.

One other problem is that for my tv pannasonic I have it set up to have digital cable going to it via a switch from the reciever as well as analog cable going to it. But the only way to change the channel when it is in analog is with the panny remote. None of the other ones work because it defaults to cable box. Is this solved with a fancy remote as well?

remote is basic didgital cable
Atlas DVR/PVR 1055

Last edited by fundmark19; 04-13-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:43 PM   #66
OBCT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Wow thanks for the post! I have started looking around for remotes and would like to try and not spend that much money on one. I actually just bought a cheapo IR kit off of ebay. I wasn't expecting much out of it but works perfectly.

One other problem is that for my tv pannasonic I have it set up to have digital cable going to it via a switch from the reciever as well as analog cable going to it. But the only way to change the channel when it is in analog is with the panny remote. None of the other ones work because it defaults to cable box. Is this solved with a fancy remote as well?
Yeah, that was me, too. The more looking I did, the more I realized I needed a remote that actually solved all my obvious problems, instead of solving a few and creating a few more.

As for your digital cable vs. analog cable switching issue, I'm almost certain that fancier universal remotes have been able to do this for awhile now. I don't have the same setup as you, but I'm 95% my remote can switch between said inputs automatically. Whether or not it takes some serious doing on initial setup is hard to say, and might depend on the specific cable box and TV, but that definitely sounds doable to me.

I'm not sure what price range you're thinking, but I bought mine from a dealer out of Asia (Hong Kong or China, if my memory serves) and was honestly quite worried that it would end up as a waste of $45. When it arrived, it worked (!). I was a little bit worried about not getting a manual or software disc or charging base or USB cable in the package (part of the reason for the discount, I'm sure), but the manual is easy to find and download on the web, the software is a free download on Logitech's website, the charging base is unnecessary (IMO) and the USB cable is not proprietary, so it's really cheap and easy to find at most electronics stores (not to mention, monoprice.com). I already had two, one for a digital camera and the other for a PS3 controller charging station, so I just share them as needed.

With a quick search of eBay Canada I found 5 listed Logitech remotes that just might end up <$50 (after all charges). They're very similar to mine. Could be worth a gander.

[link1] _ [link2] _ [link3] _ [link4] _ [link5]

Last edited by OBCT; 04-13-2010 at 03:45 PM.
OBCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:51 PM   #67
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Harmony remotes are great. I adore mine. Works on all my components including my HDMI switch from monoprice.com.

Logitech has a section on their website to see if your device is compatible.

http://myremotesetup.com/EasyZapper/...h=ProcSpice%2F
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:28 PM   #68
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

+1 for Harmony remotes.

I believe I gotten one on sale for $70 or something like that. You hook it up to your computer with a USB cable and program it for all your devices.

You set activities on the remote, so one button switches to the appropriate settings on the receiver/tv and what not.

Once it's set up, simple to use that even my parents can turn on the TV or DVD player with one button.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:12 AM   #69
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Good news found a cheapy on kijiji for 40 bucks. I think it is the 676? Because of the changable faceplates. My goal tonight is to get all the settings and everything worked out and to wire the second IR reciever in the basement for the theater. Do you guys think it would be tacky to have it in the roof? I don't have roof setup yet so I would just hook it to a floor joist but it would be a drop ceiling.

Heres what it looks like

Last edited by fundmark19; 04-16-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:30 AM   #70
OBCT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Good news found a cheapy on kijiji for 40 bucks. I think it is the 676? Because of the changable faceplates. My goal tonight is to get all the settings and everything worked out and to wire the second IR reciever in the basement for the theater. Do you guys think it would be tacky to have it in the roof? I don't have roof setup yet so I would just hook it to a floor joist but it would be a drop ceiling.
Nice. I think you'll be quite pleased with your purchase.

IMO, probably not, no. It would definitely stick out in a bare room, though. Would have to see the room to know for sure.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:58 AM   #71
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I guess it doesn't really matter at this point anyways untill I get everything developed.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:31 PM   #72
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thought I would give you guys update. It indeed is a harmony 676. Everything seems to work that i had concerns about. Only thing that doesn't is the selection for switching input to tv cable. But you bypass it by going to the tv menu. Now I just need to set up the ir receiver in the basement then set the projector up for the remote! If anyone is on the fence about making the jump to a harmony I highly recommend doing it.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:40 AM   #73
IntenseFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^Made the switch to a Harmony 670 last night.

I must echo fundmark's sentiment.

One thing I would like to know is whether anyone has purchased the bluetooth adapter for their harmony remote? My remote will set the TV and Receiver to the correct settings for my PS3, but (quite logically) can't activate the PS3. Not that this is such a big deal (as I now only need 2 remotes instead of 5), but I was wondering if anyone thinks the bluetooth adapter is worth the extra $$?
IntenseFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:57 AM   #74
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I would be interested in hearing the same thing as that is all that is left in my setup. Harmony remote even works to control my ipod dock on my receiver I am loving this thing! If anyone is getting rid of an old remote that they are upgrading I would be very tempted to take it off your hands to have it in my home theater as well as one on my main floor
Old 04-23-2010, 12:07 PM   #75
OBCT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I also had that issue with the PS3. To get around it, I purchased this remote. It was easy to configure with the Harmony remote and works like a charm.

The only function it notably lacks is "Power On" (strange, but true). To get around this, I bought this charger station (up to 3 controllers at once), which works great. It looks decent enough, too, so I found a place near my primary seating poisition for the controllers (within arm's reach if you're like me).

I use the Harmony remote to turn on everything else and a controller to turn on the PS3. Done.

[You could also do it without the charging station with slightly more work moving controllers around for charging the long run. I'm lazy. :P]

Hope that helps!
Old 04-24-2010, 01:17 PM   #76
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Somewhat off topic but do any of you know the best way to get sound to outdoor speakers?

The wife and I recently bought a hot tub and I'm going to be putting a speaker or two outdoors and I want to be able to listen to audio from the TV, XBOX 360, Macbook and the radio. The TV, Xbox and radio are easily done via the Yamaha receiver but how would I go about listening to music from my laptop or external hard drive?

I can't rap my head around it, and I don't want wireless speakers.

Is it possible to run cable form the receiver to another device that can access my Macbook and external hard drive and then run speaker wire from that device out to the speakers?
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:58 PM   #77
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
Is it possible to run cable form the receiver to another device that can access my Macbook and external hard drive and then run speaker wire from that device out to the speakers?
Get the airport express. I've got one in my living room, and one in the garage. Wireless device that outputs to RCA cables, which you can hook up to your receiver.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:23 AM   #78
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

For anyone who has one entertainment set up but needs to send it to 2 different rooms and is tired of changing cords. Highly reccomend the mono price 4 x 2 switch. No more unplugging cords really easy to use. I have my second harmony remote on its way to me as well so I can have complete control in both areas
Old 08-27-2010, 10:49 PM   #79
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone here much of a projector fan? I just noticed this little ditty, though it looks as though it's been around a few months. I have a rec room downstairs I would like to turn into a Video game/Movie room. It's a little tight for a traditional home theater room, but for some phallic reason I'm sure, I want a huge screen. It can give a 90" screen from.....3'!!! seems ridiculous, and apparently has a great picture. Can that actually be true?

http://www.projectorcentral.com/opto...tor_review.htm
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:19 PM   #80
OBCT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Street Pharmacist:

It sounds like a great console gaming projector. It seems it's minor imperfections are made more evident when viewing HD movies, for some reason; the 3D functionality appears very limited.

It sounds like it's very bright, which is extra helpful in well-lit rooms, or rooms with windows or other sources of glare. The downside to this can be a washed-out look (ie. darks not dark), though based on the reviews I found, this doesn't seem to be an issue for most. Don't expect plamsa panel contrast levels, though.

The fact it also has pretty decent speakers (allegedly) is another plus. You could probably get away without speaker supplementation, given a small room.

For the price, it looks like a very good value. Overall, given your space limitations, I would certainly consider this unit. Is it available for purchase somewhere that would allow you to try it out no-risk for a week? It would be best to view all your sources on it and judge for yourself before dropping $800 "blind".

Also, I'm not sure what pricing you're looking at in Canada, but the GT720 is available for well under $700, shipped, down here Stateside. J&R Music and Computer World, Amazon, BestBuy, Buy.com and eBay could be worth investigating.