Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2018, 09:08 AM   #341
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lime had two bikes and two reps at the Bike Calgary Gala a few weeks back, they said they will run them all through the winter too. With that home zone a lot of pathway/road/cycle track gets cleared pretty quickly after a snowfall so I don't think it will be very hard to ride them.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2018, 09:24 AM   #342
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

what could go wrong with riding an e-bike after the bar on a winter evening/early morning
Old 10-19-2018, 09:39 AM   #343
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I was in Seattle over the summer and did not like what I saw from the scooters. They looked fun as hell but then we'd see them out of power and laying across the sidewalk. Looked like crap. I don't have faith in some users to treat these things properly and park them appropriately.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:46 AM   #344
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chilly this morning, saw the porcupine again. Also saw a very bold coyote. First 5 day commute week in a long time. Lungs are crap, legs feel pretty good.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2018, 10:42 PM   #345
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Spent the last 2 days riding that section of Mohave desert near-ish to Vegas. Some fantastic trails with fun loose over hardpack terrain. Amazing area... but I'm still pulling yuca cactus out of my legs and my hand is sore from clipping a joshua tree.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cracher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2018, 08:59 PM   #346
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracher View Post
Spent the last 2 days riding that section of Mohave desert near-ish to Vegas. Some fantastic trails with fun loose over hardpack terrain. Amazing area... but I'm still pulling yuca cactus out of my legs and my hand is sore from clipping a joshua tree.
Was it a guided bike trip? Or self guided?
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:17 AM   #347
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Guided for 1 of the 2 days. Went through a newer company called Bike Blast. Pick up/drop off from the strip, they provide everything from camelbaks to bikes. The guide was a DH racer formerly signed by Giant (regional team, not factory team). So very happy with the experience. I am much, much more scared of the big f'ing spiders native to that region than bears... so having someone who knows the fauna/flora/trails was fantastic.

Edit: Climbing around that area is definitely more tech than here. Found a YT of a fun, flow track I did (but the guy took all the chicken lines and his camera doesn't pick up the details of the terrain...): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEq9AexLo9k . It's a very nice variant on the usual Vegas experience. I'll do this again at my next conference.

Last edited by cracher; 10-22-2018 at 12:33 AM.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cracher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2018, 12:22 AM   #348
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Out in Kamloops visiting the in laws and brought the road bike along. Did some riding up and down Westsyde road along the North Shore. Beautiful riding, great scenery and not too much traffic. Most people were very courteous. Off course, one asshat in his black Dodge passes me, pulls over on to the shoulder, waits for me and then guns it, spraying gravel at me and covering me in a huge black cloud of diesel fumes. Momma must be proud, you pathetic piece of human garbage.
#22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:23 AM   #349
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I'm bringing my car in for service Thursday and figured I'd ride my bike to and from the shop and my work. Because this is my first time doing this route, and it will be pitch dark out, figured I'd see if anybody has an suggestions.
Google Maps Link

I see the reservoir option avoids more roads, but adds hills.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:01 AM   #350
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Winter Cycling curious? Check out this event on November 15th to hear from a panel of winter riders and afterwards check out booths from many local shops/groups for all things biking:

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/shift-in...01719?aff=eand
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2018, 08:02 AM   #351
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

If you're worried about roads, I would suggest taking the Reservoir route. That section of road behind Chinook Centre is sketchy in the dark. The hills are more gradual on the Res one.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2018, 08:03 AM   #352
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I'm bringing my car in for service Thursday and figured I'd ride my bike to and from the shop and my work. Because this is my first time doing this route, and it will be pitch dark out, figured I'd see if anybody has an suggestions.
Google Maps Link

I see the reservoir option avoids more roads, but adds hills.
That's my commute, but I start around Heritage station. The recommended route is well mapped and easy to follow with not a ton of traffic. Basically keep getting back onto 5th St. and you'll be golden. The only change I make is I take another street to get down to Elbow river because the recommended route has a very steep hill which is hard for me to pedal up on the single speed. The reservoir route is ok too but it is longer and hillier (~3-4km longer I believe).

Edit: There is a bike path combined with the quiet road beside 5th St. that runs along behind Chinook. Take that and then transfer onto 5th St. at 58th Ave. until you hit the river and you won't come across much traffic.

Last edited by Kybosh; 10-23-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2018, 08:33 AM   #353
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I see that bypass now, down Meadowview Rd. Thanks- I would have totally missed that.

I assume the steep hill you avoid is coming back home. Do you recall what street you detour down?
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:36 AM   #354
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

4A street is the big hill. I think pushing up the hill is shorter than any detour would be.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2018, 10:29 AM   #355
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
4A street is the big hill. I think pushing up the hill is shorter than any detour would be.
The google recommended route is to take 5th St to Brunswick Ave to 4a St. I just take the road beside it, which is marginally longer but less of a steep grade for the single speed (5th St to Crescent Blvd to 4a St. and reverse for the way home).
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2018, 01:52 PM   #356
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any recommendations for indoor bike trainers?
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 02:20 PM   #357
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
I love my Kickr Snap but they're not cheap. It's heavy, which I take as positive because till feels sturdy when you're really pushing it.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:15 PM   #358
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post

Depends if you want smart or not. For non smart, I like a fluid trainer. Lots of brands make them. Cycleops has been around forever and make a quality product.

For smart, I have a Kickr snap. For wheel on trainers I think it's the best. I had a Tacx vortex before and it was frustating to use because it would lose connection frequently. My only complaint with the snap is that you have to calibrate every ride, so when I just want to do 30 minutes on zwift, it's really only 15-20 minutes, because you have to warm up the trainer for 10 minutes before you do your calibration. Direct drive trainers are better for this.

Trainers have gone up substantially the past couple of years. The Wahoo kickr used to be $1300, now it's $1900. They just came out with the Kickr core, which I think will be popular. The Core is $1200 I believe.
The Tacx neo is regarded as one of the best trainers out there. It's quiet. You never have to calibrate it...it's also $1900. Tacx just came out with the flux 2 which will be competing against the core and is also $1200.

DC Rainmaker does awesome reviews of trainers.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/10/...endations.html
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/trainers
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:25 PM   #359
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Bike sharing service Limebike is "days" away from getting up and running in Calgary:
https://globalnews.ca/news/4558638/l...rogram-e-bike/

Bikes are e-assist and top out around 24km/h. It is a dockless system meaning bikes can be left anywhere in the home zone (similar to Car2Go). I downloaded the app yesterday and here is the initial home zone:

Im curious how the city is going to handle this.

The beauty of these in all the places I have used them is the ease of use and lack of regulations around them.

I could see Calgary ruining that with needless rules and regulations.

Are they doing bikes or scooters? The scooters are great. Didn't know Lime also did bikes though.

Edit: Dammit its the bikes not the scooters.

Last edited by Weitz; 10-23-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:31 PM   #360
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
For smart, I have a Kickr snap. For wheel on trainers I think it's the best. I had a Tacx vortex before and it was frustating to use because it would lose connection frequently. My only complaint with the snap is that you have to calibrate every ride, so when I just want to do 30 minutes on zwift, it's really only 15-20 minutes, because you have to warm up the trainer for 10 minutes before you do your calibration. Direct drive trainers are better for this.

Trainers have gone up substantially the past couple of years. The Wahoo kickr used to be $1300, now it's $1900. They just came out with the Kickr core, which I think will be popular. The Core is $1200 I believe.
The Tacx neo is regarded as one of the best trainers out there. It's quiet. You never have to calibrate it...it's also $1900. Tacx just came out with the flux 2 which will be competing against the core and is also $1200.
The direct drive trainers are really expensive. The Kickr Snap is a slightly more palatable $879 at MEC.

As for calibrating it, if your bike is staying on the trainer you don't really have to calibrate it every time you use. I calibrate any time i move the bike off the trainer or inflate the tires. Other than that it's really consistent from ride to ride without calibration.