Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2020, 11:47 AM   #2281
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I know it’s a double post but I remembered the cycling specific thread after posting in the other thread. Sorry.

]Anybody know a local bike shop that carries these?

Bike helmet

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 11:53 AM   #2282
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
I know it’s a double post but I remembered the cycling specific thread after posting in the other thread. Sorry.

]Anybody know a local bike shop that carries these?

Bike helmet
I think Bike Bike (in Inglewood) carries them, but they are closed this week for a little time off. Open again on Saturday I believe.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2020, 03:01 PM   #2283
pope04
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Crushed a 72km ride west of Crowfoot taking in Retreat and Glendale and Church Ranches. Some gravel on the shoulders here and there but overall pretty stellar. Despite warm city temps much of my ride was, according to my Garmin 520, around 3-6C but still wore the knicks to keep knees warm. Was absolutely amazed how many other riders were out there... almost as many as a typical reasonable September. First time on road bike since early Oct so the speed was nice compared to the gravel rig. Just 300km shy of 9000km total over last year. Am I gonna make it?
pope04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 02:48 PM   #2284
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I'll pass 6700km on my commute home today, my goal of 7000km this year easily in sight.
Meant to bump this, passed my 7000km goal last Monday. Currently at 7124km for the year as of this mornings commute.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2020, 09:47 AM   #2285
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i have been toying witht he idea of buying a second wheelset for my fatbike to just be able to easily swap between studded and non-studded tires and after a somewhat extensive search of the net, it seems I am unable to make this purchase happen for less than $1,000.

Came across a used wheelset in Red Deer; however, the front hub was not the size I needed, so then I'd have to get the hub replaced and the wheelset built up. So, I'd imagine I'd be in for about $625 easy when the dust settles.
Old 12-15-2020, 10:22 AM   #2286
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
i have been toying witht he idea of buying a second wheelset for my fatbike to just be able to easily swap between studded and non-studded tires and after a somewhat extensive search of the net, it seems I am unable to make this purchase happen for less than $1,000.

Came across a used wheelset in Red Deer; however, the front hub was not the size I needed, so then I'd have to get the hub replaced and the wheelset built up. So, I'd imagine I'd be in for about $625 easy when the dust settles.

The new hub may require you to get new spokes. If you do need spokes, get from spokeservice. They are cheaper than anyone in town. I've also used chainreaction.

https://www.spokeservice.ca/

I built a friend 27.5 plus wheels for her fatbike. She uses her fatbike for bikepacking in the summer.

For her bike I couldn't find the right size hubs but I found the same wheels, and stripped them and laced those hubs to raceface arc rims. Then I used the fatbike rims for a different build for somebody else.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 02:44 PM   #2287
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ruh oh:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1341493301883465729
Old 12-22-2020, 03:44 PM   #2288
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whoops.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:34 AM   #2289
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Freaking made it to work this morning! Pedestrian bridges (Prince's island) and transition areas are absolute garbage, be ready to walk the bike. The north side of the Bow path was cleared, not fully but gave you about 4' width with some bumpy hard packed snow still there. However just east of zoo road they stopped clearing the path, so I had to go up and take St. George's drive and drop down to Nose Creek path from there. Fox Hollow hill was untouched, had to walk the entire bloody thing. Absolutely exhausting. Filed a bunch of 311's after getting to work, so hopefully a few things get some love before the ride home.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2020, 08:55 AM   #2290
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a place in the inner city that can patch an inner tube?

It's actually not for a bike but a Thule Chariot that my wife got me for Christmas. We got a quality used one but unfortunately one of the back wheels has a leak.

Pic below:

J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:31 AM   #2291
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ your nearest bike shop......this is a skill that all cyclists should have.

I’d suggest getting an extra tube for that rig just to have on hand
Old 12-31-2020, 01:40 PM   #2292
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Well, that was a year to remember.

January started with a fitness challenge to lose weight (30lbs!) with some friends and make a lifestyle change so I'd be more consistent with my personal fitness. I felt the improved fitness as I started riding outside again. My speed was up. My fatigue was down so I could ride longer. I didn't hate hills anymore. I managed to keep it going for the rest of the year.

I went for my longest ride ever (216km) that also had my most elevation in a single ride (2003m). Went back to Highwood and knocked an hour off my personal best.

Even better, I was able to get out and ride with a bunch of new people. Unfortunately, no CP ride but I was still able to see a few of the CP guys for individual rides.

Once the weather turned I dreaded getting back on the trainer. I hooked up with some other Calgary cyclists on Zwift (thanks to hungryhun) and that helped with motivation again. Joined their organized weekly race series (21 weeks) that is challenge I look forward to each week.

2020 Stats

Total: 17,007km
Outside: 8,089km
Trainer: 8,918km
Elevation: 95,536m

Some stats from https://statshunters.com/
Spoiler!

My goal for next year is 10k in distance and 100k in elevation. Explore more of the province by bike since travel will likely be tough again. More importantly, hopefully be able to do group rides again and get the CP ride going.

Also to fix this up and get the kids earning their keep:

Spoiler!

Hope everyone else had a great year on the bike despite the rest being a dumpster fire.

Last edited by KTrain; 12-31-2020 at 01:43 PM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2020, 01:43 PM   #2293
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Incredible year KTrain, congrats man.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2020, 01:50 PM   #2294
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

One more ride home from work for me in a few minutes, should put my total distance this year at 7373km.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2020, 02:09 PM   #2295
hungryhun
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Well, that was a year to remember.

January started with a fitness challenge to lose weight (30lbs!) with some friends and make a lifestyle change so I'd be more consistent with my personal fitness. I felt the improved fitness as I started riding outside again. My speed was up. My fatigue was down so I could ride longer. I didn't hate hills anymore. I managed to keep it going for the rest of the year.

I went for my longest ride ever (216km) that also had my most elevation in a single ride (2003m). Went back to Highwood and knocked an hour off my personal best.

Even better, I was able to get out and ride with a bunch of new people. Unfortunately, no CP ride but I was still able to see a few of the CP guys for individual rides.

Once the weather turned I dreaded getting back on the trainer. I hooked up with some other Calgary cyclists on Zwift (thanks to hungryhun) and that helped with motivation again. Joined their organized weekly race series (21 weeks) that is challenge I look forward to each week.

2020 Stats

Total: 17,007km
Outside: 8,089km
Trainer: 8,918km
Elevation: 95,536m

Some stats from https://statshunters.com/
Spoiler!

My goal for next year is 10k in distance and 100k in elevation. Explore more of the province by bike since travel will likely be tough again. More importantly, hopefully be able to do group rides again and get the CP ride going.

Also to fix this up and get the kids earning their keep:

Spoiler!

Hope everyone else had a great year on the bike despite the rest being a dumpster fire.
Great work KTrain! Glad to have you on board with our crew, looking forward to the new upcoming season and getting on some real rides with you!
hungryhun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 02:12 PM   #2296
hungryhun
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Nm
hungryhun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 03:15 PM   #2297
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
One more ride home from work for me in a few minutes, should put my total distance this year at 7373km.
Well done, good job!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 03:38 PM   #2298
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Your commutes inspire me. Don't get me wrong, I love working from home, but it's impressive to be as consistent as you are regardless of weather. It took a colossal dump of snow to slow you down.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2020, 04:29 PM   #2299
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

7374km! Went a little farther and took the Peace bridge to cross the river.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2020, 08:58 PM   #2300
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Strava says I hit 5,204 for the year after my fat bike spin today. Huge improvement over last years 3,650. And surprise as in 2019 I had a couple of 200k plus weeks as I rode to/from the office, plus some weekend rides. Whereas this year it was all recreational riding.

I have to think that it was due in large part to the purchase of the gravel grinder and a typical wet spring where I did some 60k rides