Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2011, 12:24 AM   #101
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

49 hours...just finished removing every ashtray and lighter from my place. Full on deodorizing and wall cleaning this weekend. If you want one strong tip, that is definitely up there. GET THE SMELL OUT OF YOUR HOUSE AND CAR!

I have kits at work, that will get it out of your car, I think they are 15 bucks, and they work crazy good. PM me if you want to get one. I will see if my sales manager will let me sell them, we use them to deodorize used cars.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:36 AM   #102
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

19 days and counting. Still have the cravings, especially when I'm in the car. I think I'm doing pretty good, but I know I still have a lot of work to do.

This weekend is going to be a real test. I'm coming to Calgary for the Heritage Classic and I know I will be out drinking Saturday and Sunday night. In the back of my mind, I'm thinking I could maybe just have a "Calgary only" pack, but I know I shouldn't. I will update next week with how I did.

Good luck to everyone else.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:45 AM   #103
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
19 days and counting. Still have the cravings, especially when I'm in the car. I think I'm doing pretty good, but I know I still have a lot of work to do.

This weekend is going to be a real test. I'm coming to Calgary for the Heritage Classic and I know I will be out drinking Saturday and Sunday night. In the back of my mind, I'm thinking I could maybe just have a "Calgary only" pack, but I know I shouldn't. I will update next week with how I did.

Don't do it. You are out of the frikkin woods if you are 19 days in. The nicotine is out of your system, and it is purely psychological now. Go get yourself a box of nicorette. I am using them when the urge is unbearable, and the grumpy mood kicks in. I am chewing about 5 or 6 pieces a day.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:41 AM   #104
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Don't do it. You are out of the frikkin woods if you are 19 days in. The nicotine is out of your system, and it is purely psychological now. Go get yourself a box of nicorette. I am using them when the urge is unbearable, and the grumpy mood kicks in. I am chewing about 5 or 6 pieces a day.
Like you said, he's is physically off his addiction to nicotine after 19 days. Chewing Nicorette will just be putting nicotine back in your system. I recommend staying away from it all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN

I quit for a year once before and went out drinking with a bunch of old buddies I hadn't seen for a while and they all still smoked. I fell into the "I'll just have one" trap. After a year of not smoking I immediately went back to my old habits and was up to a pack a day within 2 days. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS JUST ONE SMOKE. You may have stronger willpower than me, you may be able to suffer through just about anything, you may be made from steel. Even so, once nicotine is in your system you have to go through the physical withdrawl all over again. You've already kicked your physical drug addiction to nicotine. One cigarette is enough to get addicted again- Nicotine is one of the most addictive drugs there is- moreso than heroine, blow, meth, etc.

Quit the drug and don't ever look back. Don't be a smoker that happens to not be smoking, be a non-smoker.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:36 AM   #105
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
Like you said, he's is physically off his addiction to nicotine after 19 days. Chewing Nicorette will just be putting nicotine back in your system. I recommend staying away from it all together.
I wrote this same thing a couple hours ago but didn't post it, I think maybe Pylon meant, if he has to chose, Nicorette would be better than a smoke.

But I agree, get that Nicotine monkey off your back, and keep it off ! Don't feed the addiction.
Pinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:47 PM   #106
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

ugggg....
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:29 PM   #107
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

I was walking across the lot today, and walked through the wall of smoke in one of the little smokers hangout areas. It kinda grossed me out.... that made me happy.

It is amazing how fast your smell adjusts.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:48 PM   #108
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I smoked for about five years, then quit for three and commuted on the bike for said time. Then #### hit the fan with the missus at the time and I booted her out and started smoking again. It's been over a year of about half a pack a day. To put this in perspective...

When I was off the smokes and riding the bike I could hold a note on my sax for almost two minutes. I now have about 45 seconds.

I think it's time to quit again, once this pack is done.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:59 PM   #109
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post

Chew on a straw in the car, I found it helped. If you cut them into cigarette sized lengths they work even better.

No Calgary pack, just avoid booze if you have to.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:08 PM   #110
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had a slip today, crap!
Old 02-15-2011, 05:14 PM   #111
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

A couple of things that helped me were long walks and physical activity. It not only keeps your mind off it for a while, but it keeps your metabolism up. Also, you will notice how your energy level and breathing has improved. When I noticed those benefits, it made me more driven.

Another thing that helped me was not playing video games for a while. I always felt like smoking after playing them for a while.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:46 PM   #112
Hockey_Girl
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I've never smoked before and I don't think I ever will, but I just thought I'd drop by and say that it's awesome that you guys are making the effort to quit smoking.

Just remember that you'll be the one who benefits from this in the future, so hang in there!
Hockey_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockey_Girl For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2011, 05:51 PM   #113
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I had a slip today, crap!
Don't let it get you down. Just accept it, and start again. Did it really make you feel better? Probably not. Probably made you feel disappointed in yourself.

One thing I find helping me is this.

Break it down to the elementary principle. You are simply no longer sticking a burning piece of paper in your mouth, how hard can that possibly be?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2011, 12:25 AM   #114
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well i'm all outta smokes! Smoked my last carton Let's hope the book works. I'm optimistic. Dissentowner if you or anyone want the coles notes on the book, just ask. But I'm not sure I'd do as good of a job.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:34 AM   #115
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Well today was a week and it was by far the easiest day.

It's not over by any means but I'm well on my way.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:27 AM   #116
flizzenflozz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Glad to hear all of the efforts being made by the CP'ers out there.... !!

The only question I have for those quitting is whether you think the addiction is mostly mental, physical or a combo 50/50?

I mentioned before about the Allan Carr book and how it worked for me. I can only speak for myself that I KNOW for me that it was mental. People love to crow about how the physical addiction is way worse. I totally understand that feeling but I challenge you to read the book, Allan Carr's 'Easy Way to Quit Smoking' and not be convinced it is ALL a head game. Change your mind=Change your life is my philosophy.. the body will follow suit very quickly.

The only difference between where I'm at and where you smokers are at is a simple rethinking...That's right, simple. Read the book and you'll see those pangs you THINK are there disappear.

I suppose I seem to be like a born again christian or a reformed alcoholic with 'all the answers' but all I'm doing is passing along the key that was given to me. Buy the damn book and be free! SO F"N EASY !!

Best of luck to you all..

Last edited by flizzenflozz; 02-16-2011 at 01:32 AM.
flizzenflozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:17 AM   #117
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

If I may rant a little here...

One thing that has been bothering me and not just because I'm "irritable" is how both my smoker and non-smoker friends have reacted.

Not all of them of course just a select few. I've kept in on the DL from most people just so they don't make a big deal out of it.

Two of my smoker friends acted like I went from being Jewish to joining the Aryan Nation. Seriously guys, I didn't turn my back on my identity and I'm not a traitor. I just decided to quit smoking. The funny thing is that I've always really enjoyed smoking. I know that sounds weird to some people but it is true. If there were cigarettes that weren't laced with toxic chemicals I'd switch but there isn't a safer alternative. The only thing that bothers me about the social stigma is the people who think it is any of their business what I choose to do.

Then of course there are the crazy anti-smoking Nazis who act like I've just been cured of leprosy and aren't a freak anymore. When I explain that I miss smoking they act like I just escaped from Guantanamo and say I miss the torture.

Luckily this is an ignorant irritating minority of people who react in either of these ways but nevertheless I think they are all jackasses for the way they've acted.

And in case anyone asks, I don't know why I enjoy smoking and no reading the Carr book won't change that. It has nothing to do with addiction or health. I think it is a combination of a few different things. Having fond memories as a kid of my Grandpa smoking, Hollywood indoctrination that smoking is cool and something else I can't quite identify. I like watching the cherry burn as I inhale, I like blowing little smoke rings when I exhale. I don't know it is kind of weird to be honest. I just enjoy smoking. All my life I've even enjoyed the smell of cigarette smoke.

If it weren't so expensive and bad for my health I probably wouldn't quit. Yet here I am, determined to stay away from smoking.

What people might find even more strange is that I want to be able to have the odd smoke when I'm drinking without having to buy a pack or be totally addicted. Yeah, yeah I'm addicted to life and just one smoke will have me back on the habbit blah, blah... I'm talking about in maybe 6 months being able to have a smoke or two every month when I'm out drinking and not feel like that means I have to smoke all the time. In essence I want to take the power back. I want to control when I smoke, not let smoking control me. A friend of mine has been mostly smoke free for about 3 years. But when I'm in town and we go drinking he has no problem lighting up with me for a few days and then he doesn't really smoke again until I see him again. I'd love to be able to have that kind of control. I'm determined not to make it an addiction for life. I want to treat cigarettes like beer or weed. Have a little bit here and there when I'm having fun but not everyday all day.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 02-16-2011 at 02:20 AM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2011, 04:04 AM   #118
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not a smoker, but I've gotta say this is easily one of the best threads on CP right now. You guys all rock!

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:34 AM   #119
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Congrats to those that quit...

My old boss emailed me a few days ago mentioning that she was hiring for my old position and the person they interviewed was decent but smelled of cigarette smoke, end result no job. Just think you won't be discriminated against anymore by people that matter. Happy quitting.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:13 AM   #120
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Don't let it get you down. Just accept it, and start again. Did it really make you feel better? Probably not. Probably made you feel disappointed in yourself.

One thing I find helping me is this.

Break it down to the elementary principle. You are simply no longer sticking a burning piece of paper in your mouth, how hard can that possibly be?
Ya it made me feel light headed and like crap. I am back it though, one little slip will not stop me from giving these damn things up for good. I will be 36 tmrw, I started smoking in my early teens when they still had those machines where you dropped your change in and pulled the lever and the cigarettes dropped down. Like this:

Our generation was always given the impression smoking was so cool, glad our kids are facing the opposite image for smoking.