Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #221
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
Not sure where or how it came about, but today was a really tough one for me. All I could think about was going down the street, buying a pack, smoking one and throwing out the pack. Not sure why though. Today was a pretty normal, lazy Sunday. Lots of lying around the house, but I couldn't stop thinking about having a smoke.

It's been just under 5 weeks and this day was probably the toughest since the first few days of withdrawls. Hope tomorrow is easier.
Keep fighting the good battle and never give in!
Old 03-09-2011, 10:43 PM   #222
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

I am hanging in there. Coming on 4 weeks this Sunday.
pylon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2011, 02:41 AM   #223
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hit my 6 week mark about 4 hours ago. Doing pretty damn good lately. I'm thinking about smoking a lot less. Especially during those times where I would always have one. Prime example was tonight after work, I hop in my car, and it almost always used to be like starting the car. I would hop in the front seat, turn key, use right hand to grab smoke from the middle compartment and grab lighter and light up. It was second nature to me, I didn't have to think about it. Fast forward to tonight, I hop in my car, turn the key and start driving. I drove for about 8-9 minutes on the way home and only then did I think about having my usual car smoke. This was a huge step for me. Like I said, it was second nature to light up right after work. Now, I don't even think about it.

My record about 6 years ago was 7 weeks of quitting, so I still haven't beat my record. But 6 years ago, I was still young and stupid and it was a New Years Eve party that got me back to my smoking ways. I'm 6 years older and wiser, I think I should be okay.

What also really helps is just the support from family and friends and co workers. I posted on my facebook 2 weeks ago about my one month, and got TONS of great comments from people I hadn't even talked to in years. It was pretty cool. Not to mention getting support from strangers here on CP. This thread is awesome.

Last edited by VANFLAMESFAN; 03-10-2011 at 02:43 AM.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VANFLAMESFAN For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2011, 08:03 AM   #224
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Somewhere around two months now. The smell of smokers coming in from the cold after they have one is absolutely revolting now. I almost literally puked from the smell of a co-worker the other day. ugh. I can't believe I was willing to smell like that to other people for so long.

Congrats to all recently quit ex smokers who are still staying smoke free.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:25 AM   #225
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
Hit my 6 week mark about 4 hours ago. Doing pretty damn good lately. I'm thinking about smoking a lot less. Especially during those times where I would always have one. Prime example was tonight after work, I hop in my car, and it almost always used to be like starting the car. I would hop in the front seat, turn key, use right hand to grab smoke from the middle compartment and grab lighter and light up. It was second nature to me, I didn't have to think about it. Fast forward to tonight, I hop in my car, turn the key and start driving. I drove for about 8-9 minutes on the way home and only then did I think about having my usual car smoke. This was a huge step for me. Like I said, it was second nature to light up right after work. Now, I don't even think about it.
So true. I just got to work and I didn't even think about lighting up. In fact I'm finally going to have a chance to clean my car this weekend and hopefully I can get rid of that smoke smell that is lingering.

Also lucky I don't have any coworkers or friends that smoke because then I don't have to be tempted every day.

Quote:
My record about 6 years ago was 7 weeks of quitting, so I still haven't beat my record. But 6 years ago, I was still young and stupid and it was a New Years Eve party that got me back to my smoking ways. I'm 6 years older and wiser, I think I should be okay.

What also really helps is just the support from family and friends and co workers. I posted on my facebook 2 weeks ago about my one month, and got TONS of great comments from people I hadn't even talked to in years. It was pretty cool. Not to mention getting support from strangers here on CP. This thread is awesome.
I actually didn't tell anyone in my family and only mentioned it in passing to my friends until posting my 1 month on FB and like you I got a ton of positive comments.

I felt like if I made a big deal out of telling all my family and friends I would be under more pressure to not give in and then it would be a big let down if I caved.

The only friends I've made a point of telling are people who I'm going out drinking with so they can keep an eye on me and make sure I don't buy smokes.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:31 AM   #226
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Krack Korn View Post
Somewhere around two months now. The smell of smokers coming in from the cold after they have one is absolutely revolting now. I almost literally puked from the smell of a co-worker the other day. ugh. I can't believe I was willing to smell like that to other people for so long.

Congrats to all recently quit ex smokers who are still staying smoke free.
I apologized to my wife every day for months after quitting because of the smell. When you're a smoker, you really don't have any clue about how revolting you smell. When someone would comment about it to me, I used to just brush it off saying "come on, it can't be that bad"...
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrrlGoalie33 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #227
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster View Post
I apologized to my wife every day for months after quitting because of the smell. When you're a smoker, you really don't have any clue about how revolting you smell. When someone would comment about it to me, I used to just brush it off saying "come on, it can't be that bad"...
What's weird is that I am starting to agree. The smell on a person is not a pleasant one.

However, I do now and always have loved the smell of cigarette smoke in the air.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:12 PM   #228
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

proud of everyone in here. My 9 year anniversary is in June. You will not regret getting rod of those things!
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:45 PM   #229
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
What's weird is that I am starting to agree. The smell on a person is not a pleasant one.

However, I do now and always have loved the smell of cigarette smoke in the air.
Its the stale smell of smoke on the curtains and couches the next morning that always got to me, even when I was a smoker that grossed me out
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #230
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hangovers are not nearly as bad either when you stop smoking. Drinking is one thng, but then having smoked a pack of smokes magnifies it.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #231
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

^^^Yes. The "a monkey must have crapped in my mouth while I was sleeping" feeling is greatly lessened, I've noticed.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:05 AM   #232
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Wooooooooooo!

1 month today.

And wrestling sucks.... except for Ric Flair. Riling up a crowd by dropping elbows on your suit jacket = best wrestler evar.
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2011, 08:54 AM   #233
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I'm at 1 month 1 week.

I have actually found myself saving twice as much $$ because I'm afraid to drink. So not only am I not spending $$ on smokes, I'm spending way less on booze because I don't want to trigger a relapse.

I had a really, really stressful weekend but managed to fight off the urge.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2011, 09:00 AM   #234
Smyth's Skate
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I passed the 8 week mark yesterday. Things are great in my world!
Smyth's Skate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #235
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

No posts for 2 weeks in this thread.

How's everybody doing? I'm still going strong. I have cheated a couple of times on a Fri/Sat night when drunk but other than that I'm pretty solid. I'm trying to be really careful not to fall into bad habits again though.

For the most part though my resolve has been pretty solid. Can't remember the last time I thought about lighting up during my Sun-Thurs. Even on Fri/Sat I only think about it if I'm drinking, which I've kept to a bare minimum.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #236
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still going strong. Will be 9 weeks on Wednesday night.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VANFLAMESFAN For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2011, 02:35 AM   #237
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Long update, but I feel I have earned it at this point.

Haven't even had the urge at all in a couple weeks. I have put on a few more 'bad' pounds, but now that the urge to constanly eat is going away, I can see dropping it off once I get the road bike out in the next week or two. It is tough to gauge my weight now, as I am putting on a lot of muscle now.

On a side note, working out is going awesome, and since quitting, my results have been amplified immensly. You can literally feel the blood pumping better when you work out. Starting to see ridiculous results from the gym now too. People I haven't seen in a few months are pretty shocked with the development and that feels AWESOME. I have a bit of an advantage, as good ole muscle memory from my d-bag roidhead days, has given me a bit of an unfair advantage. A few people that know of my past with that junk, have made a few "concerned" inquiries... lol, I take that as a huge compliment to the 5 day a week commitment I have put in for 5 months. The bicep and shoulder veins have come back after about a ten year absense, and the double chin is nearly a non existant memory. I know I am gloating a bit.... BUT I FEEL SO DAMN AWESOME ABOUT LIFE RIGHT NOW.

One thing I have really noticed, is my skin color improving as well. Call it more of a healthy glow. I looked at some pictures from 12 months ago, probably my lifetime low for health and fitness, and I looked like one sick and worn out dude. I can honestly say, hitting that low, and riding the high I am on now, has all but guaranteed I'll never touch the stuff again.

Also bought a new car. A sick black, 2011 GTI which is a total non smoking zone. I defumed the old car, but it still was a "smoking zone" in my mind. The thought of lighting up in this one, and polluting my new ride is blasphemous in my eyes. Being in the car biz, I usually get a new car every couple years, and I would always jump in them, and light up right away to just get it over with. So this is a huge step for me to have this over protective stance about it. The german new car smell is one of the finest aromas in the world, and I intend to maintain that sweet aroma of toxic VOC's, leather, and only the finest vinyls present, as long as humanly possible. I don't even want to fart in this car.

Anyway, I hope everyone else is feeling great about their decision as well. This thread has been absolutely awesome. Knowing that breaking down would mean coming on here, and admitting failure, likely saved my ass more than a few times in the early stages.

Cheers.

Last edited by pylon; 03-30-2011 at 02:40 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2011, 12:26 AM   #238
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

How's everyone doing?? I hit my 3 month mark tomorrow night. My previous record was 7 weeks, so that's obviously a nice step.

I'm fighting it a little bit more lately. I don't know why it is. It's all in my head, I realize, but I just find myself fighting it a lot more lately. Stress related?? Maybe. But that just seems like the easy answer to me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VANFLAMESFAN For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2011, 02:10 AM   #239
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Still truckin along. I am at around 2 1/2 months now I think. Feeling great, and no looking back. Just went for my first dentist visit since I had my wisdom teeth removed 5 years ago on Monday. Miraculously only 1 tiny cavity. Got a full on cleaning and laser whitening treatment, and my chiclets look all Hollywood now, love em. Went from brushing once a day, to three times a day the, at least for the first couple days.

I think the little rewards system I have set up for myself has really helped the whole cause. The new smoke free car, the laser tooth whitening, a new suit... etc. Next up is a new couch...lol. These are all things I said I would do for myself as I knocked off dates, and they really help me stay focused, as to get my rewards.

A was a little worried about the nicorette thing, as I got a little hooked on it, but I clawed back to the low dose ones, and am now down to about 5 2mg pieces a day. My plan is to get off of them entirely by the end of May.

The one last awesome thing is this. Since I have quit, 2 others guys at work have as well, with my incessant daring them to quit jabs. "Guys, if I can do it, you surely can... or are you just too weak?" So far 2 guys are 3 weeks in, and 2 more wanna jump on the quit wagon any day now. Oliver and George if you are reading this great job, Bruce and Mike, quit being pussies and just get it on.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2011, 08:19 AM   #240
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I get the odd craving but I now consider myself a full on non-smoker.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post: