Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2020, 02:38 AM   #3081
FragileMind
Backup Goalie

Exp:

banff has gone to #### in the past week.Really nice towels to cargo shorts and t-shirts
FragileMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:48 AM   #3082
FragileMind
Backup Goalie

Exp:

please do't come to my province,wearing cargo shorts and t-shirts
FragileMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 05:26 AM   #3083
sl888
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
I've played Serenity the past two weekends and it's the busiest I've seen it. Parking lot totally full, although once on the course I haven't felt rushed at all. The greens on the new 9 are a LOT slower than the original 18, but I expect that will even up as it matures.
I played the new 9 on Saturday for couples night. I think 40 mins in, we were still waiting to tee off 3rd hole. It picked up though. Bring lots of bug spray.

Was at Wintergreen last Monday. Greens are in rough shape. #11 is a temp green. #15 is no longer a temp green but very shaggy and slow. The 2 bunkers I was in was hard af!

Anyone use the regrip services offered on Kijiji?
sl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:00 AM   #3084
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Lol.

Suggesting drills.

At least I've played with Dion.
First, that drill is a diagnostic. Any pro worth their salt will employ something similar. It is actually part and parcel of the teaching process, and pros learn a methodology to teach that have them employ specific tools to get golfers to understand what they are working on. Diagnostics are very important as they help confirm the suspicions of what they see. In this particular instance it will help determine if a player has a sound takeaway. If the swing is flawed, the result will be equally flawed.

Second, the first thing to fix to examine is the basic swing. It is the mechanical foundation of the player's game. If the foundation is poorly constructed, there will be no consistency in contact with the ball and any minor changes made will have little long term impact to the results the player hopes to achieve. If the foundation of your house is bad all the fine tuning you attempt to make won't help. When something ain't square, the structure is not sound and will not pass inspections. All the flaws will be exposed as things settle and will require significant repair. Small changes to club face angle or grip are like putting spackle over a drywall crack because the wall is not square. Inspect the foundation and fix the basic problem.

Third, playing with an individual is irrelevant. Unless you are being paid to do a teaching lesson when you are on the course you are a player and are likely more concerned about your game than you are about anything else. At least good players remain focused on their games and try and stay in the zone. Pros rarely play with the individuals who they teach. Many times a pro has five minutes to observe a swing, diagnose the issue, and then provide the therapy to correct the issue. That therapy will be drill oriented as the golf swing is built on muscle memory, and drills will quickly reinforce swing changes through muscle memory. During this five minutes a pro will listen mostly to anecdotal evidence of issues the player is having. This is all they have to go one other than observing an individual make a few swings or employing a diagnostic of some sort. No years of data other than the anecdotal information provided by the player. So playing with someone is irrelevant. I can give dozens of examples of this in application if you like, including correcting issues over face time.

Lastly, why do you have to be so alpha?
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2020, 09:05 AM   #3085
StevenAbootman
Draft Pick

Has anyone played Heritage Pointe lately? Hoping to play there this week but heard it was in rough shape back in June.
StevenAbootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:07 AM   #3086
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenAbootman View Post
Has anyone played Heritage Pointe lately? Hoping to play there this week but heard it was in rough shape back in June.
I haven't played this year, but a friend played about 2 weeks ago and said it was in bad condition and wasn't worth playing.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2020, 09:17 AM   #3087
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have another round at Mickelson on wednesday. Hopefully I play better than the first time I played there.

Will also be my 20th round of the year. On track for the most golf rounds this year which is fantastic considering Covid and what I expected to be a shortened or non existent season.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:26 AM   #3088
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

https://scoregolf.com/top-100-2020/

The Score Golf Canada 100 list is out for this year. I know it isn’t a perfect ranking system, but it is always fun to look at and see.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2020, 09:43 AM   #3089
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jasper at #3
Banff Springs at #6

Nice
malcolmk14 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2020, 12:38 PM   #3090
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I played Desert/Pointe mid-June and aside from some winterkill/ice damage on the fairway (especially on Pointe), it was in decent shape.

Greens were excellent.
Old 07-20-2020, 12:55 PM   #3091
jharp
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I usually really enjoy the course and like to play it at least once per year.

Played there about a week ago (pointe and desert) and it was awful. Definitely won’t go back there this year.

Three greens were trashed, the rest weren’t great. Tones of GUR in weird places. It’s like they forgot to employ maintenance staff.
Old 07-20-2020, 02:19 PM   #3092
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thanks for the info. I usually play there a few times a year myself, but thought the Windmill takeover might negatively impact things, and it sounds like that is the case.

I did play Speargrass last weekend, and it was in great shape. Always a good value, if it was 15 minutes closer to the city, the price would be $30 higher.

Also played Bearspaw the same weekend, and wasn't wowed. Decent track, but nothing special. Not worth $130 at all. The most entertaining part was trying to figure out exactly where $20 million could have gone into what the new clubhouse looks like now. Somebody enriched themselves immensely on that deal.
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:23 PM   #3093
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post
https://scoregolf.com/top-100-2020/

The Score Golf Canada 100 list is out for this year. I know it isn’t a perfect ranking system, but it is always fun to look at and see.
Played 16% of them - 3,6,16,19,28,29,30,50,55,65,66,77,80,84,89 and 94 as well as 105,107,108, 113 and 124 on the next 40 list
Old 07-20-2020, 02:30 PM   #3094
Kidder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edn88 View Post
Played 16% of them - 3,6,16,19,28,29,30,50,55,65,66,77,80,84,89 and 94 as well as 105,107,108, 113 and 124 on the next 40 list
Impressive list. Any stand out from your perspective? I really enjoyed the Ridge course at Predator. Helped I was golfing well.

Very excited to try Banff next week. Thanks again to FragileMind for posting that code.
Old 07-20-2020, 03:01 PM   #3095
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edn88 View Post
Nice!

I've played: 3, 6, 16, 17, 19, 28, 29, 30, 41, 52, 55, 61, 65, 66, 80, 84, 97, 98.

So 18%, but have knocked 4 of those off this year!

107, 108, 113, 124, 125, 128 on the next 40.
Old 07-20-2020, 03:27 PM   #3096
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

I played the round of my life on Friday at McCall. Shot a 38/38 for a 76!! No double bogeys in the whole round, I was in the zone. I should retire now
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sec304 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2020, 03:33 PM   #3097
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Lol.

Suggesting drills.

At least I've played with Dion.
DK knows I can bomb it out there

Anyhoo problem was solved this morning as my swing plane was the culprit.
Old 07-20-2020, 03:58 PM   #3098
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always enjoy these lists. I've played:
8 - Capilano
19 - Mt. Kidd
20 - Shaughnessy
24 - Big Sky
36 - Royal Colwood
55 - Tower Ranch
71 - Nicklaus North
80 - Mt Lorette
87 - Point Grey
109 - Whistler
124 - Silvertip

Only through this list did I realize I haven't played 117 - Vancouver GC, even though I've been there multiple times and know several members there. My course, Marine Drive, used to be on the list, but we choose not to participate in the rankings anymore. Our membership base does not appreciate the demands that Score Golf makes, nor do we like the ways they've conducted themselves in the past while at the course to rank it. As we're a private club, we don't really care what spot we'd be. It's substantially better than #87 - Point Grey but not as good as #20 - Shaughnessy, both of which are on the same road. It's better than all of the Whistler courses, the highest being #56 Chateau. It's virtually the same course at #36 - Royal Colwood and is designed by the same person, so it should come in around there. I believe the last time Score was there was 2012 when it was 92nd. This year it would probably be in the 40-45 range.

In the next 5 years, depending on what travel looks like, I can see me playing:
3 - Fairmont Jasper
6 - Fairmont Banff
21 - Victoria
28 - Predator Ridge - Ridge
41 - Calgary
56 - Fairmont Whistler
65 - Predator Ridge - Predator
105 - Fairview Mountain
108 - Gallagher's Canyon
117 - Vancouver

2 per year over the next 5 years seems reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2020, 04:48 PM   #3099
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ive played 10 of the top 100 and 12 of the top 140.

I’m surprised I haven’t played Mt. Kidd, Silvertip or Country Hills. Will have to make a point to play those soon.
malcolmk14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:35 AM   #3100
jharp
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Ive played 10 of the top 100 and 12 of the top 140.

I’m surprised I haven’t played Mt. Kidd, Silvertip or Country Hills. Will have to make a point to play those soon.
Played Silvertip a few weeks back and it is my favourite course now.

It’s beautiful, it hits the sweet spot of challenging but not punishing, great conditions, reasonable value for a mountain course. Definitely worth a try.

I wouldn’t be upset to never play Country Hills again. Nothing wrong with the course, just doesn’t suit me.

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow