Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Travis Munroe | RealtorŪ & Property Manager
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2015, 11:07 PM   #1
JohnnySkittles
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Advice on getting apartment out of province

I'm moving to Ottawa to go for my masters and am wondering what's some advice any of you have on getting an apartment when its out of province.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:20 AM   #2
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Your question is a little vague; you may need to elaborate a bit as to what you are asking about.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:42 PM   #3
JohnnySkittles
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Okay. Like are apartment buildings/landlords wary of renting to people that can't go and check it out or see it in person?
Old 01-26-2015, 07:16 AM   #4
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just moved to Vancouver and went through the "Out of Province" experience. Not sure exactly what you're looking to know, but here's some random thoughts, in no particular order.....

1. I would strongly recommend dealing with a property management company. They can be annoying, but not nearly as wishy-washy as random people renting their units.
2. Craigslist is your friend (map function) when getting a feel for locations, rental stock, and prices.
3. Make a list of 3-5 (?) key aspects you want (near a park, 3km from school, specific neighborhood, etc) and accept everything else as a bonus. It will reduce the stress of trying to find 'the perfect' place from thousands of miles away.
4. You cannot make a tax deduction from 'house-hunting' trips (which I think is stupid), but you can claim the moving expenses.
5. Take 20 minutes and read through the Province's rental legislation. An informed consumer is a good consumer.
6. Don't become a Senators fan.

Good luck!

Old 01-26-2015, 08:48 AM   #5
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySkittles View Post
Okay. Like are apartment buildings/landlords wary of renting to people that can't go and check it out or see it in person?
When I moved to Grande Prairie I arranged for my first place sight unseen. Given the nature of that city the management company was used to that sort of thing. Due to the Internet being in it's infancy we did a lot of stuff over fax.

If you don't have somebody who can go look at the place on your behalf, I would also want to stick with management companies. Less chance of there being a major problem; like the landlord taking your money and running.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:01 AM   #6
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you can't do a trip ahead of time to find a place, perhaps consider a short term rental for the first month, and then find a place once you're there? Although if you're starting school in September, this probably leaves you with slim pickings come October.

Maybe a six month lease to start (so if the place sucks you're not stuck there for the entire year)?