Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2010, 07:37 PM   #201
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I don't know if that really should be called an express bus. Up Barlow, across on CHB, and down 36th st? That's about 10km just to get to the end of the line at MKWW.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:11 PM   #202
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
I don't know if that really should be called an express bus. Up Barlow, across on CHB, and down 36th st? That's about 10km just to get to the end of the line at MKWW.
I think the one they are using the "express" moniker for is the one to-from downtown.
frinkprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:49 PM   #203
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
It's not much shorter via McKnight. This is one of the things the airport tunnel is for.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:00 PM   #204
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

^^ Could they build an airport tunnel as a "Transit Tunnel", get funding for it from some "green" program, then make sure it is wide enough to accomidate several lanes of buses plus future LRT expansion?
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #205
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
^^ Could they build an airport tunnel as a "Transit Tunnel", get funding for it from some "green" program, then make sure it is wide enough to accomidate several lanes of buses plus future LRT expansion?
That's the funny thing about Green Trip funding... as long as the city is spending at least whatever the amount is on stuff that would qualify, anything that qualifies that they're building anyways SHOULD be funded by Green Trip, since that allows more flexibility in use of the other funds.

The problem with Green Trip specifically though is that the province wants it to be used for regional transit instead of municipal transit. Which, IMO, is complete BS fueled by the over-representation of rural areas and the election of a country bumpkin as our premier.

The airport tunnel is a solid environmental measure whether or not it's restricted to transit only, and it's better if it isn't. It will cut emissions because it reduces trip distance for people traveling to the aiport from the east side of the city. Nenshi's plan for the airport tunnel is to include a transit right of way, which would be used by buses with the potential to be converted to rail later.

If making it a 100% transit tunnel is a requirement for green trip, then it would be better to spend green trip elsewhere and build the tunnel with other funds, IMO.

Did that answer the question?

Last edited by SebC; 12-03-2010 at 10:23 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2010, 11:07 PM   #206
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
That's the funny thing about Green Trip funding... as long as the city is spending at least whatever the amount is on stuff that would qualify, anything that qualifies that they're building anyways SHOULD be funded by Green Trip, since that allows more flexibility in use of the other funds.

The problem with Green Trip specifically though is that the province wants it to be used for regional transit instead of municipal transit. Which, IMO, is complete BS fueled by the over-representation of rural areas and the election of a country bumpkin as our premier.

The airport tunnel is a solid environmental measure whether or not it's restricted to transit only, and it's better if it isn't. It will cut emissions because it reduces trip distance for people traveling to the aiport from the east side of the city. Nenshi's plan for the airport tunnel is to include a transit right of way, which would be used by buses with the potential to be converted to rail later.

If making it a 100% transit tunnel is a requirement for green trip, then it would be better to spend green trip elsewhere and build the tunnel with other funds, IMO.

Did that answer the question?
Basically. Even then, the province has been skittish about providing funds for some regional transit proposals (buses from Cochrane into Calgary). The Green TRIP (transit incentives program) is kind of a misnomer. It should be called Eddie's Plan for Transit to Bedroom Communities, although that doesn't make for a good-sounding acronym.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:06 AM   #207
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Here's the winter service revisions, which come into effect on Dec. 20th.

The schedules of about 20 routes are affected in some way. No new routes, no routes deleted.

If you take the 420 Kincora route, or the 114 Panorama/Country Hills route, the good news is that frequencies have increased.

http://www.calgarytransit.com/html/w...ions_2010.html
Old 12-04-2010, 10:23 AM   #208
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
A transit only tunnel may not sound like a bad idea, but the road link is a critical element of the plan. I would say the most critical. Contrary to new article comments, better access to the airport is only a small reason for the tunnel.

It might not happen everyday, but I predict that in the time between the closure of Barlow, and the opening of the tunnel, there will be a serious accident on Deerfoot that will cause a lot of air travellers to miss their flights. The road network simply won't have enough backup capacity.

Before Metis trail opens, 36th street is going to be a nightmare everyday, I think. The proposed "express" bus route from MKWW to the airport will be backed up in a bunch of traffic everyday. I have a feeling that it might take half an hour to get between MKWW and the airport at rush hour, at least until Metis opens.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:33 AM   #209
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Sorry, I should have also put quotes around "buses."

Meaning- if it's wide enough for 6 lanes of buses and 2 lanes of LRT; maybe we could re-purpose it later for a few cars to also get through.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:10 PM   #210
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Some news and notes.

This Global news story (video at link) notes that we may see some improvments within the next year including more crosstown routes and/or increased frequency on current crosstown routes, new routes in new neighbourhoods, and a 24-hour-a-day operation of route #3 (busiest route in the system).

Link: http://www.globaltoronto.com/City+Tr...864/story.html

---------------------------------

In other news, we will see some of the new series 8 SD160 LRVs (different seating arrangement), cameras, different destination signs, etc.) finally start revenue service on or around December 20th. This will coincide with the winter service revisions posted a few days ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2010, 12:18 PM   #211
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The iPhone app is out for those who care.

http://calgarytransitschedule.com/
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cSpooge For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2010, 03:08 PM   #212
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

An out-of-service D60LFR (articulated or "bendy" bus) caught fire on Deerfoot Trail this morning.

http://www.globaltvcalgary.com/City+...056/story.html
Old 12-10-2010, 03:35 PM   #213
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
An out-of-service D60LFR (articulated or "bendy" bus) caught fire on Deerfoot Trail this morning.
I'm never sitting in those seats in the bendy part again. I hope there is some further investigation on this.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:36 PM   #214
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Calgary Transit busses spontaneously combust in winter?
Old 12-10-2010, 03:45 PM   #215
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
I'm never sitting in those seats in the bendy part again. I hope there is some further investigation on this.
Well the initial report said it was something to do with the brakes seizing. Could have happened on a regular bus if that's the case.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:56 PM   #216
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post

http://www.globaltvcalgary.com/City+...056/story.html
I was on this bus this morning and got off downtown. The fire happened on it's return south.

The bus smelt like burning long before we got into downtown so the driver obviously didn't give a crap and kept going.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:03 PM   #217
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
The bus smelt like burning long before we got into downtown so the driver obviously didn't give a crap and kept going.
Well I don't blame him. They always smell like burning when they have the heaters cranked.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:42 PM   #218
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSpooge View Post
The iPhone app is out for those who care.

http://calgarytransitschedule.com/
I think it's worth the 99¢ if you take transit often. Seems like at least 95% of the stop numbers I tried work; and it has a function to add favourites for stops you use often.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:54 PM   #219
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

I can't get over how many people don't want to spend 99 cents on an application. NINETY NINE CENTS! That isn't even worth thinking about unless you can't do your paper route anymore because you wrecked your bike.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:32 AM   #220
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

let's not forget that the app is independently created so no revenue goes to calgary transit (just for those that don't want to give them a dollar).

I love the design. I'd like to be able to search for stop numbers, but beyond that it's pretty great. I feel bad for when the developers get ripped for the faults of the transit system.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c-train , calgary transit , information , lrt , renderings