Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2023, 03:03 PM   #7161
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynotnow View Post
Still top heavy, always going to be with two superstars. Brown is a gamble, if it works out that will help out but if not there’s a problem there. In the back Elkholm helps out for sure and might help out with Bouchards development.

Still for them to take the next step it’s largely about the team they have playing a more mature game then they have.
If you go by the numbers they already are playing a solid defensive game.

Last season they were:
4th in corsi against/60
9th in fenwick against/60
12th in shots against/60
12 in expected goals against/60
9th in scoring chances against/60
6th in high danger chances against/60

In the playoffs they were around 8th out of 16 in most categories. About the same as Vegas. But Vegas had 94% save % and 12.5% shooting percentage at 5v5. Those combined for 1.065 PDO. Highest total out of any playoff team since 07/08. Might be longer but Natural stat trick only has data until then and nhl.com only goes back to 09/10.

Biggest problem for the Oilers last year was goalie. Especially in the playoffs. They don't need their goalie to pull an Adin Hill, but they need at least average.
Old 09-04-2023, 05:28 PM   #7162
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Edmonton is no good.

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 09-04-2023 at 06:52 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2023, 08:31 PM   #7163
dieHARDflameZ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oilers suck. Oiler fans suck. Everything about Edmonton sucks.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dieHARDflameZ For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2023, 08:38 PM   #7164
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Elks had a 28-13 lead on the Stamps heading into the 4th Q and lost 35-31 this evening
Old 09-04-2023, 08:40 PM   #7165
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieHARDflameZ View Post
Oilers suck. Oiler fans suck. Everything about Edmonton sucks.
And the Edmonton Elks suck...even if they have the second coming of Doug Flutie, Warren Moon and Damon Allen all rolled into one playing QB for them.
Old 09-04-2023, 11:36 PM   #7166
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
If you go by the numbers they already are playing a solid defensive game.

Last season they were:
4th in corsi against/60
9th in fenwick against/60
12th in shots against/60
12 in expected goals against/60
9th in scoring chances against/60
6th in high danger chances against/60

In the playoffs they were around 8th out of 16 in most categories. About the same as Vegas. But Vegas had 94% save % and 12.5% shooting percentage at 5v5. Those combined for 1.065 PDO. Highest total out of any playoff team since 07/08. Might be longer but Natural stat trick only has data until then and nhl.com only goes back to 09/10.

Biggest problem for the Oilers last year was goalie. Especially in the playoffs. They don't need their goalie to pull an Adin Hill, but they need at least average.
Lol

Adin Hill didn't do anything special though. He just had a great team that knew how to win in front of him.

And Edmonton is a No Good team that Knows how to lose.

I ####ing love that every year you guys think you're one positional player away, when the problem is that they Oilers don't play as a team. They're two players (who don't play D well) and a bunch of guys just shuffling deck chairs around them. They play said two guys for full PPs and OTs and run them into the ground over the regular season at the expense of learning to play the game how Vegas did and succeeded at - as a team.

The problem actually might not be the roster at all (they have some of the best game breaking talent in the world), it's the Oilers entire philosophy and approach to playing hockey.

There's a reason no other team employs and utilizes two players the way the Oilers do - because it's A) a team game, and B) not a model for team success (only individual success).

I'm going to thoroughly enjoy them pissing (pun intended) away the final years of Draisaitl and McDavid and getting Johnny'd at the altar.

I mean, if you can't see that the Oilers hung Skinner out to dry defensively while Vegas sheltered their 5th stringer with strong 200 foot play then nothing can help you at this point.

Even despite the numbers, the rest of us saw Nurse getting caught out of position doing his ineffective kneel thing and any Oilers "back checking" giving up on the play or letting their man sneak into the slot.

Amazing that Oilers fans can meditate an entire summer on that series and come out with the conclusion "one goalie away".

It's a gift that keeps on giving.

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 09-05-2023 at 01:29 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2023, 11:46 PM   #7167
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Elks had a 28-13 lead on the Stamps heading into the 4th Q and lost 35-31 this evening
The Elks are even better than the Stamps at figuring out terrible ways t olose this year.
Old 09-05-2023, 01:01 AM   #7168
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still wonder how long McDavid and Drai's health and durability keep up. There is lots of milage on those legs. Combined they have missed six regular season games (combined) in the last three seasons, and zero games in the playoffs. They have been extremely fortunate to have not missed significant time, and that status quo won't hold up forever.

Draisaitl especially was already showing signs of wearing down last year, and played through injuries. They are no spring chickens either, McDavid is 26 (27 in January), and Drai will be 28 in October. The Oilers have one... maybe two years to figure things out.

Let's be honest that they are fortunate to be playing in the Pacific Division with so many rebuilding teams. Vegas is a better team, but Oilers are right behind them. However I still feel they need everything to fall into place to make another run this year. They will likely have to overcome Vegas, whoever comes out of the Central, and then the Eastern winner. Even if they are "slightly" better than last year it won't be enough. Slightly just won't cut it.

Last edited by trackercowe; 09-05-2023 at 01:04 AM.
Old 09-05-2023, 09:15 AM   #7169
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even if they're slightly better (which they aren't) and they get another season where everything goes well (which it won't) and they finish first in the division instead of second they'll just beat a Winnipeg instead of an LA in the first round before going on to not win against the eventual cup champions.

Last edited by topfiverecords; 09-05-2023 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-05-2023, 09:21 AM   #7170
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Even if they're slightly better (which they aren't) and they get another season where everything goes well (which it won't) and they finish first in the division instead of second they'll just beat a Winnipeg instead of an LA in the first round before going on to lose to the eventual cup champions.

don't you mean "not win"
Old 09-05-2023, 09:24 AM   #7171
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Watching that playoff series against the Knights. Once the Knights stopped taking penalties Edmonton didn't look good at all.

Throughout their series their defensive play was poor. Skinner was awful (They overplayed him in the regular season in that shooting gallery).

Hockey isn't a vacuum. Edmonton isn't going to be much better. Other teams will start crawling up.

Everything for two years in the regular season has gone right for the Oilers, but that deal with the devil stuff can change in a moment. I expect the Oilers to drop a bit. They're not a young team so I don't see a leap up due to player improvement. If anything it will drop back a bit for a lot of players.

Do I see them as a playoff team? Sure why not. Do I see them getting anywhere near the finals. Nope.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 09-05-2023, 09:48 AM   #7172
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
don't you mean "not win"
How did I miss that . Fixed.
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2023, 09:51 AM   #7173
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

When Luongo left the Canucks, I actually became a fan and cheered for him. And we all remember how much we hated those Canucks.

When McDrai leave the Oiler, there is no doubt in my mind I will continue to cheer against them.

Screw those guys.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2023, 10:18 AM   #7174
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
When Luongo left the Canucks, I actually became a fan and cheered for him. And we all remember how much we hated those Canucks.

When McDrai leave the Oiler, there is no doubt in my mind I will continue to cheer against them.

Screw those guys.
No redeeming qualities that I've seen in either of them over 8-9 years.

Has any one heard a heartwarming story involving mcdrai and fans/normies that wasn't for PR or a team organized charity matter? Usually you hear of at least a couple of those.
Old 09-05-2023, 11:34 AM   #7175
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think that roster is better. I think Kostin will be missed, and the bottom 6 is weaker than last year. Yes, Eklund helps the D, but it is still thin at the bottom. And most importantly, they have even less overall depth than last year. They are probably starting with 12 forwards - maybe even 11 - on the roster. Any kind of injuries, and they are in big trouble, because there is -literally - no bench.
Old 09-05-2023, 11:52 AM   #7176
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

They certainly can't afford for either of McDavid or Draisaitl to miss any time. If one of them suffered a major injury, their season would go south fast.
Old 09-05-2023, 12:00 PM   #7177
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
They certainly can't afford for either of McDavid or Draisaitl to miss any time. If one of them suffered a major injury, their season would go south fast.
Even one of the primary supporting cast, and I think they will be seriously affected.

Last year they ran a historic PP, and that covers a lot of warts. They will be in tough to have the same success this year with it, as they did last year. They also got really strong goaltending from Skinner for a few months.

Kane had a lengthy injury last year, but other than that, things went REALLY well for them, for the most part. And even still, they tied or won a lot of games with late goals. If they get off to a slower start this year, things could turn quickly - especially since they are already fully into the dating phase with Draisaitl and McDavid for their next contracts.
Old 09-05-2023, 12:18 PM   #7178
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

What goes up must come down.

That includes the play of mcdrai and the PP. They won't have "human" seasons like most other players since they're that talented, but there will be a season where they track to 90-110 points instead of 130-160 (whether due to a down year or injuries). On other teams that doesn't hurt much in the grand scheme of things but on the Oilers, that's a devastating loss of production because it likely comes off of their one strength which is the PP.

Because we all know their 5 on 5 game isn't winning any games for them.
Old 09-05-2023, 04:35 PM   #7179
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Adin Hill didn't do anything special though.
Nope, nothing at all!

Old 09-05-2023, 04:53 PM   #7180
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
Yamamoto and Brown are pretty close stats wise, with Yamamoto having a higher ceiling and Brown having a significant injury risk.

Murray played 14 games and Malone 10. They may have technically been on the opening day roster (I haven't checked), they really weren't a significant part of the team.

Kostin played 57 games and should be on the 2022-23 list, even if he had the flu or something on opening day.
Connor Brown numbers in Ottawa were much better than they were in Toronto. But he got a bigger role was usually top 5 in forward ice on the PP.

That is not happening in Edmonton, similar to Toronto. His 5 on 5 numbers aren't great and now he will be 30 and missed an entire season. He does not have high end skill, size or speed so he's a risk to be very over paid and a bust for the Oilers this season. On paper I can see why the fans up north are excited when you compare him to the other depth but IMO Klostin is probably a better player at this point in Brown's career.
Closed Thread

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good , no good no good , no good no good no good , not f***ing good enough