Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2023, 11:48 AM   #6161
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edmonton is no good.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2023, 11:50 AM   #6162
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Edmonton is no good.
You can say THAT again!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2023, 12:01 PM   #6163
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Kostin is a good player, and was an RFA. They could have offer-sheeted him, and it would have cost a 3rd. Instead they took Yamamoto and it cost them some cap space.

Yzerman has bosses that he reports too, just like CC does.
Kostin didn't receive a qualifying offer and was likely not going to, so Detroit wouldn't have to offer sheet him. They could have just waited a few days and signed him for free if they really wanted. I guess they liked the player enough that they didn't want to take the chance of him signing elsewhere though.
Old 07-04-2023, 12:07 PM   #6164
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Kostin didn't receive a qualifying offer and was likely not going to, so Detroit wouldn't have to offer sheet him. They could have just waited a few days and signed him for free if they really wanted. I guess they liked the player enough that they didn't want to take the chance of him signing elsewhere though.
Exactly. If he becomes a free agent, the chances he signs with Detroit are pretty slim.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2023, 12:17 PM   #6165
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Yzerman didn’t “do the oilers a solid”.
Right.

Did the Oilers get cap relief in the deal or not?

Could Yzerman have secured Kostin for nothing or not?
Old 07-04-2023, 12:38 PM   #6166
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Right.

Did the Oilers get cap relief in the deal or not?

Could Yzerman have secured Kostin for nothing or not?
Not.

Anyone could have signed Kostin and, as a free agent, he would have had more leverage for a bigger contract.

They paid to have exclusive negotiating rights and leverage within those negotiations with the player. You can bet that if the negotiations weren’t going how they wanted they would have just qualified him to ensure they still got the player.
Old 07-04-2023, 12:42 PM   #6167
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's going on in here? Detroit took Yamamoto, clearing $3.1M from Edmonton's cap. That's relief and a favour.
Old 07-04-2023, 12:54 PM   #6168
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Not.

Anyone could have signed Kostin and, as a free agent, he would have had more leverage for a bigger contract.

They paid to have exclusive negotiating rights and leverage within those negotiations with the player. You can bet that if the negotiations weren’t going how they wanted they would have just qualified him to ensure they still got the player.
You understand the meaning of the word “could” right?

You literally contradicted yourself. I didn’t say anything about the players leverage. Detroit wanted certainty and taking on Yamamoto’s baggage proved that they value the player, while retaining their rights.

It doesn’t change the fact that they COULD have had the same player & paid upwards of $400,000 more per season and been at the same place without helping the Oilers.

Why is this so difficult to understand?
Old 07-04-2023, 01:05 PM   #6169
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
You understand the meaning of the word “could” right?

You literally contradicted yourself. I didn’t say anything about the players leverage. Detroit wanted certainty and taking on Yamamoto’s baggage proved that they value the player, while retaining their rights.

It doesn’t change the fact that they COULD have had the same player & paid upwards of $400,000 more per season and been at the same place without helping the Oilers.

Why is this so difficult to understand?
Yes, I know what words mean, thanks Merriam.

You understand there’s value in changing something from a possibility, or a “could,” to something that can actually be controlled, right? They “could” have had Kostin for the same price, they also “could” have lost out on him entirely, and they “could” have had to sign him for even more than his contract + Yamamoto. They decided the value of avoiding the less desirable “could” situations and paid that value.

Let me know if you still struggle with it and I’ll be happy to explain it again.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2023, 01:06 PM   #6170
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Exactly. If he becomes a free agent, the chances he signs with Detroit are pretty slim.
Why? Klim Kostin isn’t exactly Tyler Bertuzzi. He was a waiver wire pickup last year that several teams had to option of grabbing.

The likelihood he signs in Detroit is as great as almost any other team, if not better. A player in his position wants to be put in a position to succeed.

Why wouldn’t Detroit be a likely destination?

After not being qualified, Sam Steel, with better production, signed in Dallas in arguably a worse position to succeed depth wise, for way less money.
Old 07-04-2023, 01:15 PM   #6171
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Yes, I know what words mean, thanks Merriam.

You understand there’s value in changing something from a possibility, or a “could,” to something that can actually be controlled, right? They “could” have had Kostin for the same price, they also “could” have lost out on him entirely, and they “could” have had to sign him for even more than his contract + Yamamoto. They decided the value of avoiding the less desirable “could” situations and paid that value.

Let me know if you still struggle with it and I’ll be happy to explain it again.
Great, now use your finely tuned analytical skills to evaluate how the word “not” applies to the word “could”.

I asked a yes/no question.

“Could Yzerman have secured him for nothing (no assets) or not?

You replied, not.

Followed up with some rambling disconnected rationalizations to the question.

Yzerman obviously did the Oilers a favour and it’s nonsense to think he didn’t.
Old 07-04-2023, 04:20 PM   #6172
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah it's pretty clear that Yzerman did the Oilers a solid. But they also got the player they wanted for what amounts to be a 2 year 2.5AAV contract. With that being said there is still a future consideration in the mix. Maybe this is a I scratch your back, you scratch mine situation and the Redwings unload a player to the Oilers next season when the cap goes up.
Old 07-04-2023, 04:34 PM   #6173
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Yzerman didn’t “do the oilers a solid”.
How do you figure that?

He took an unwanted and troublesome contract off Edmonton's books and cap for ZERO return and then paid actual cash out of his owner's pocket and against his cap to make it disappear.

In return for nothing.

What would you call that?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-04-2023, 04:50 PM   #6174
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
How do you figure that?

He took an unwanted and troublesome contract off Edmonton's books and cap for ZERO return and then paid actual cash out of his owner's pocket and against his cap to make it disappear.

In return for nothing.

What would you call that?
They got the exclusive negotiating rights to a pending UFA 4th liner. I guess that is sort of something. I am not sure that is worth anywhere near the actual dollar amount it costed them though. It seems like an expensive price for something like that.

None of it matters anyway. GMs occasionally do the "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours later" thing. Nothing wrong with that and why it pays to have a good relationships and trust with other GMs.
Old 07-04-2023, 05:04 PM   #6175
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
They got the exclusive negotiating rights to a pending UFA 4th liner. I guess that is sort of something. I am not sure that is worth anywhere near the actual dollar amount it costed them though. It seems like an expensive price for something like that.

None of it matters anyway. GMs occasionally do the "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours later" thing. Nothing wrong with that and why it pays to have a good relationships and trust with other GMs.
Really? And when has Edmonton ever made good?

They traded an injured player to LA 'promising' that he passed his medical.

He did not.

They traded us Ladislav Smid whose skull was attached to his spine with chicken-wire and hope.

It may not matter much in the end, but I'm also not going to categorically dismiss that Yzerman 'did a solid' for his good buddy Holland in this particular instance.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-04-2023, 05:12 PM   #6176
Stampede2TheCup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't understand all of this talk of Kostin being a UFA/being able to sign anywhere. Isn't he an RFA? He just turned 24 and Cap Friendly seems to indicate him as an RFA.

Edmonton is no good!
Old 07-04-2023, 05:20 PM   #6177
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampede2TheCup View Post
I don't understand all of this talk of Kostin being a UFA/being able to sign anywhere. Isn't he an RFA? He just turned 24 and Cap Friendly seems to indicate him as an RFA.

Edmonton is no good!
He was an RFA until Detroit didn’t qualify him. Probably as a technicality to avoid arbitration ability by the player, but they were clearly down the path in negotiating the 2x$2M. He’ll still be RFA after this new deal too.
Old 07-04-2023, 05:36 PM   #6178
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampede2TheCup View Post

Edmonton is no good!
No qualifying offer was tendered by Edmonton, so before the trade happened, he would have been a UFA unless they had a change of heart. Given their cap situation, it was unlikely that they were going to qualify him.
Old 07-04-2023, 05:44 PM   #6179
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Great, now use your finely tuned analytical skills to evaluate how the word “not” applies to the word “could”.

I asked a yes/no question.

“Could Yzerman have secured him for nothing (no assets) or not?

You replied, not.

Followed up with some rambling disconnected rationalizations to the question.

Yzerman obviously did the Oilers a favour and it’s nonsense to think he didn’t.
They could have in the sense that “anything could happen” I guess, sure. But as I pointed out and can explain in simpler terms for you: in the real world we all live in, no, they could not have had him for “nothing.” Let me know if you need the word “nothing” explained to you. I prefer Oxford if that’s OK.

“Could Yzerman have secured Kostin for nothing or not?”

Not

“Could Yzerman have secured Kostin for the same value he spent on Kostin + the buyout?”

Sure, but it would have been harder to do, as a whole bunch of other “could”s enter the situation, as pointed out. The value of buying out Yamamoto’s contract was having Kostin as an RFA and being able to have exclusive negotiating rights for a player who likely would have gotten at least 2.5 and probably more than 2 years as a UFA. Not sure why you’re struggling so hard with that.

You’re free to keep believing everyone is just helping out a mid-market Canadian team with the biggest superstar in the league out of the kindness of their hearts though, if you want.
Old 07-04-2023, 05:51 PM   #6180
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Edmonton is no good.
Excellent and well thought out point.
Even the AI knows the Oilers are no good:

Spoiler!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good , no good no good , no good no good no good , not f***ing good enough