Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2023, 10:20 PM   #5221
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Yeah sorry thought he made 1 mil. You’re so right that extra 500K is worth an 82 game grind when you’ve made 74 million already.

You sure proved your point
1.5 + Smith’s LTIRetirement. They’re not cap compliant if you add those in. So quit whining about Vegas.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2023, 10:55 PM   #5222
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
1.5 + Smith’s LTIRetirement. They’re not cap compliant if you add those in. So quit whining about Vegas.
I didn’t whine at all

I don’t care how much their playoff cap is, it doesn’t count anyways.

Last edited by stang; 05-01-2023 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-01-2023, 11:37 PM   #5223
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Oilers are icing a cap compliant team. The Knights are not
Quote:
I didn’t whine at all

I don’t care how much their playoff cap is, it doesn’t count anyways.
Old 05-02-2023, 04:32 AM   #5224
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Keith just up and retired for some reason, giving up millions. And the league lets Kane and SJ just off the hook? One of them had to be wrong.
Quote:
Now do Keith’s salary cap hit. He obviously came over with a retirement deal.

SJ didn’t pay Kane $19M, that’s for sure. They settled privately, didn’t take a cap hit and he was cut loose to sign with the only team that could stand him.
Quote:
Since when is $1.5M “just above league minimum”?
Quote:
We may have different definitions of what whining is. Because me just saying there cap isn’t regular season compliant isn’t whining about.

You’re the one whining.
Old 05-02-2023, 06:04 AM   #5225
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We may have different definitions of what whining is. Because me just saying there cap isn’t regular season compliant isn’t whining about.

You’re the one whining.
Oh, I am complaining about Edmonton’s cap shenanigans all right. I don’t deny that.

I must have missed “regular season compliant” in the post where you compared the two teams who are playing each other in [checks notes] the playoffs.
Old 05-02-2023, 07:56 AM   #5226
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I still don't get where Stang sits on the whole "cap complaint" thing.

It appears the Oilers are not and neither are the Knights. Or wait, play off vs regular season compliant? I am so confused.

He thinks one is acceptable because it was old guys?
Old 05-02-2023, 08:07 AM   #5227
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Somewhere, some place, some person is getting the Mike Smith stinkeye.
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2023, 08:10 AM   #5228
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

TBF, the Oilers would be a lot closer the cap compliance if they weren’t paying James Neal $2M.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2023, 08:36 AM   #5229
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some posters have crawled out from under their rocks i see.

How to tell the oilers had a minute of success without telling me they had a minute of success.
Old 05-02-2023, 09:16 AM   #5230
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love when an Oiler fan comes to this thread of all threads with an honest effort to defend the Oilers.

Literally nothing you say will make a difference to us.

We belong to the Church of E=NG.
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2023, 10:40 PM   #5231
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edmonton is no good.
Old 05-03-2023, 10:48 PM   #5232
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Honestly, I feel like it's time to upgrade the moniker to E=PoS.
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2023, 11:28 PM   #5233
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stangs worried about cap compliance but I am sure was fine when the Oilers took advantage of Evander Kanes contract being terminated then signing for the minimum on top of the suspicious Keith retirement. Also speaking of Evander Kane, I hope the Oilers are tracking his whereabouts currently.

Last edited by Beninho; 05-03-2023 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-04-2023, 12:31 AM   #5234
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Stangs worried about cap compliance but I am sure was fine when the Oilers took advantage of Evander Kanes contract being terminated then signing for the minimum on top of the suspicious Keith retirement. Also speaking of Evander Kane, I hope the Oilers are tracking his whereabouts currently.
Any team could have signed Kane though. He was seen as damaged goods and likely to never see the NHL again.
The Sharks terminating his contract wasn't some plan by the Oilers, they just were the only team willing to bring in a player who was on his absolute last chance.

As for how much they paid him, that isn't cap circumvention. The LTIR retirement thing is a sham that a lot of teams use although those players likely are all broken enough that it would make sense they would fail a medical... They played a sport for a long time at a very high level, they are all physically broken it seems. The player coming back from injury for game 1 of the playoffs is ridiculous and should change.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mean Mr. Mustard For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2023, 12:58 AM   #5235
3rd liner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Feels good. An oilers playoff loss is the most calming thing ever. Then sit back with some popcorn and watch the HNIC whining.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 3rd liner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2023, 10:21 AM   #5236
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Any team could have signed Kane though. He was seen as damaged goods and likely to never see the NHL again.
The Sharks terminating his contract wasn't some plan by the Oilers, they just were the only team willing to bring in a player who was on his absolute last chance.

As for how much they paid him, that isn't cap circumvention. The LTIR retirement thing is a sham that a lot of teams use although those players likely are all broken enough that it would make sense they would fail a medical... They played a sport for a long time at a very high level, they are all physically broken it seems. The player coming back from injury for game 1 of the playoffs is ridiculous and should change.
It was pretty much determined before his dispute was even resolved that the Oilers were going to be the ones to sign him. And IMO that played a part in the settlement.
Old 05-04-2023, 12:25 PM   #5237
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s such bull#### that San Jose got away with terminating that contract.
Old 05-04-2023, 12:29 PM   #5238
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
It was pretty much determined before his dispute was even resolved that the Oilers were going to be the ones to sign him. And IMO that played a part in the settlement.
When was the last time a UFA that was 0.91 PPG regular season and 1.13 PPG playoffs signed for $5.125 million?

I fully believe he took a big discount with the Oilers because he was getting settlement money from San Jose. The settlement was literally the difference between the two contract amounts. So he's collecting the equivalent of $7 million per year, which allowed him to sign the big discount in Edmonton and save the cap space. I'm actually shocked the league let it play out as they did.

But that still isn't as ridiculous as Duncan Keith.

Duncan Keith requests a trade to be closer to, and spend more time with, family, specifically mentioning his son that lives in Penticton. Of course it makes sense for him to retire with 1 year left to go and be with his family. If that's what he did. Instead he takes a supposed front-office job in Edmonton with a team he has a tenured 80-game history with, which should give him less time to spend with his family. And its been confirmed hes moved to Penticton, thanks to an interview in the Penticton Herald that basically confirms the front office job is a facade.

https://www.pentictonherald.ca/spare...60a58f175.html

Quote:
“I still felt confident in my abilities to play at a high level when I decided to retire but the big thing was the opportunity to spend more time with my son,” said Keith who has moved back to Penticton and shares custody of Colton with his ex-wife.
Quote:
Now, for the next chapter in his life, Keith is honing his coaching skills with his older brother, Cameron, with the Penticton Minor Hockey Association U11 development team that Colton plays on.
It should be clear to anyone that he was given a fake role that allowed him to "retire" but still collect his money, move to be with his family, and allow the Oilers to rid themselves of his cap and pay him the money in a different way.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Groot For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2023, 12:55 AM   #5239
3rd liner
First Line Centre

Exp:

I love how this thread makes no bones about us disparaging Edmonton, as a provincial rival, no matter if the oilers are finding success.
Yet still oilers fans posting here saying ‘yeah but..,’. Wow.
Old 05-07-2023, 01:02 AM   #5240
3rd liner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Called into work this evening and not thrilled about it. Heading north on Deerfoot at 6pm (sat night) and hit a heavy traffic jam. Finally reach the cause… car with an oilers flag being towed. The driver? Some trashy looking twenty something in pajama bottoms (looked like oilers pajamas) and workboots. I wasn’t surprised at all, though was truly expecting sweatpants and nice shoes.
Probably was doing crystal meth and hit the median, on his way to Edmonton to go riot for the win. E=NG.
Closed Thread

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good , no good no good , no good no good no good , not f***ing good enough