Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 03:04 PM   #5101
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
It's McDavid.

The guy just scored 60 goals and 150 points.

He's the best player in the league.

McDavid and Mackinnon are incredibly close on even strength points per game. I don't think it's nearly as clear cut as some people want to believe. Regardless he's a top player, so whether you think he's #2, or #3 it doesn't really matter.

I prefer to look at even strength points among the top players because they don't all get the same number of opportunities on the pp etc..
Old 04-11-2023, 03:12 PM   #5102
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, McDavid sucks.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2023, 12:50 AM   #5103
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Again, feel free not to participate.

I realize being a Flames fan is serious business, and there are threads for serious hockey minds like yourself.

Let us have our fun.
No one said you couldn’t have your fun, I even said it’s been fun in the past. The first iterations of this thread are some of my favourite threads in CP history. I just don’t see the value this thread adds to the forum at this present time and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with having that discussion. I even said it can be fun again in the future.

Someone mentioned punching down, and yes, punching down at the Oilers is a lot more fun for me. The misery of Oiler fans is what fuels me. It feels hollow to sit here and rag on them while they’re up in Shelbyville preparing for a playoff run. I also think it can be fun to punch up at times but that’s not what I read in this thread. It’s a lot of low quality drive-by posts and bumping for the sake of bumping. I don’t think the state of the thread is fun anymore.

If “McDavid bad” posts are your thing knock your socks off. I didn’t mean to tell anyone else what they can or can’t enjoy, just gave my opinion on how I feel this thread has gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bozek View Post
Is that you, Spector? Isn’t this a reworking of one of your columns from about 5 years ago?
The Flames have beat the Oilers once in their last 7 meetings and are 16 points behind the Oilers. We are clearly a few tiers below them.

Anyway, I don’t want to ruin anyone’s fun. If people don’t want to discuss the state of this thread or don’t agree with me I’ll respect that.
Old 04-12-2023, 09:21 AM   #5104
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
No one said you couldn’t have your fun, I even said it’s been fun in the past. The first iterations of this thread are some of my favourite threads in CP history. I just don’t see the value this thread adds to the forum at this present time and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with having that discussion. I even said it can be fun again in the future.

Someone mentioned punching down, and yes, punching down at the Oilers is a lot more fun for me. The misery of Oiler fans is what fuels me. It feels hollow to sit here and rag on them while they’re up in Shelbyville preparing for a playoff run. I also think it can be fun to punch up at times but that’s not what I read in this thread. It’s a lot of low quality drive-by posts and bumping for the sake of bumping. I don’t think the state of the thread is fun anymore.

If “McDavid bad” posts are your thing knock your socks off. I didn’t mean to tell anyone else what they can or can’t enjoy, just gave my opinion on how I feel this thread has gone.

The Flames have beat the Oilers once in their last 7 meetings and are 16 points behind the Oilers. We are clearly a few tiers below them.

Anyway, I don’t want to ruin anyone’s fun. If people don’t want to discuss the state of this thread or don’t agree with me I’ll respect that.
Well, I can agree with most of what you say. I miss the frequent humourous posts of early Captain Crunch and other skilled posters. And lately, the Flames have had more face plants than the Coilers.
But with all the draft gifts they’ve received, and the media fawning over them, the Coilers still deserve some razzing. And E=NG still covers all things Edmonton.
Old 04-12-2023, 09:23 AM   #5105
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even if the Oilers finish as 1st seed in the west, they are still no good
Old 04-12-2023, 09:38 AM   #5106
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post

Totally agree. This thread is currently the CP version of the "6/10 would not bang" meme. The McDavid drive by's are embarrassing and delusional. Of course I hope they get bounced first round, but us Flames fans just have no ammunition right now as far as trash talk goes.

Bragging rights should be earned. The Flames haven't earned us those rights. I'm more irritated at the Flames for failing to keep pace with their hated rivals.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Old 04-12-2023, 09:46 AM   #5107
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry, just so I'm clear fellas:

I'm only allowed to make fun of Edmonton, but NOT the Oilers when they finish ahead of us in the standings.

But if they finish behind us in the standings, I can make fun of the Oilers, but not the Elks or the River Valley?

Just wanna make sure I'm playing by the rules here.

Off topic, but how many times have the Oilers finished ahead of the Flames in the past, let's say, 25 or 30 years?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2023, 10:18 AM   #5108
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
The McDavid drive by's are embarrassing and delusional.

Nah, Edmonton is no good.
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2023, 10:25 AM   #5109
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

#### the Oilers. I hate em!
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2023, 12:31 PM   #5110
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/feat...eg/c-343192364

WARNING: Do not click and read unless prepared to vomit profusely.

Selected clippings:

- "... is designed to dovetail with an accelerating on-ice resurgence for the Oilers. And that resurgence has included a trip to the 2022 NHL Western Conference finals, the club's highest full-season point total since the glory days of the team's 1980s dynasty, and the continued dominance of star captain Connor McDavid, currently the NHL's best player.

-"The Oilers are not an Original Six NHL team, and only joined the league in 1979 after starting its existence in the former World Hockey Association. But despite the relative youth of the franchise in a historical hockey context, the Oilers have since soared to become one of the sport's most revered and valuable brands."

- "That brand power and lineage of success also made the continued health of the Oilers a key priority for the NHL and Bettman. For years, Bettman and his deputies routinely trumpeted the need to replace the Northlands Coliseum. And Bettman also helped engineer the transitions of the franchise ownership from prior regimes, and through sometimes-rocky periods for the franchise, until the arrival of Katz."

- "Edmonton's stature within the league was further buttressed in 2020 when the city and Rogers Place were selected one of two hub locations for the conclusion of the NHL's pandemic-impacted season that year. That hub city experience has help allow both the Oilers and the league overall to emerge from the pandemic in stronger-than-ever positions."
Old 04-13-2023, 12:42 PM   #5111
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post

the Oilers have since soared to become one of the sport's most revered and valuable brands."
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2023, 02:10 PM   #5112
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
McDavid and Mackinnon are incredibly close on even strength points per game. I don't think it's nearly as clear cut as some people want to believe. Regardless he's a top player, so whether you think he's #2, or #3 it doesn't really matter.

I prefer to look at even strength points among the top players because they don't all get the same number of opportunities on the pp etc..

McDavid has led the NHL in even strength points more times than any player besides Gretzky.
Old 04-13-2023, 02:16 PM   #5113
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post

WARNING: Do not click and read unless prepared to vomit profusely.

-"The Oilers are not an Original Six NHL team, and only joined the league in 1979 after starting its existence in the former World Hockey Association. But despite the relative youth of the franchise in a historical hockey context, the Oilers have since soared to become one of the sport's most revered and valuable brands."

Revered? Seriously? Who respects the level of tanking and mismanagement exactly? Who respects the lottery ball that got them where they are?

And this is why they are the LEAST revered team in the league. The constant need to tell everyone that Edmonton isn't as bad as everyone thinks.
Old 04-13-2023, 02:33 PM   #5114
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
McDavid has led the NHL in even strength points more times than any player besides Gretzky.
Cool story bro. Want a cookie?

Now think of how much better he would fare on literally any other team (other than the boulder on a chain that is the Oilers)

It might be the first year with him there that the rest of the team isn't bottom feeder quality. It's a shame, if anything.

McDavid's accomplishments are a reflection of his elite-ness, in spite of the Oilers. So yes, he should be celebrated. The Oilers? Should be raked over the coals.

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 04-13-2023 at 05:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2023, 02:50 PM   #5115
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oilers blow and Craisaitl is walking in 2 years and Mcdiver in 3
Old 04-13-2023, 03:01 PM   #5116
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
How many play off rounds and cups have they won in his time in Edmonton.

That stat only highlights what an abysmal organization the Oilers have become.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2023, 11:52 PM   #5117
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

George H. W. Bush was president the last time the Oilers won the division.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2023, 12:18 PM   #5118
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

looks like i'll be a big kings fan for the next week or so!

E=NG!
Old 04-14-2023, 12:25 PM   #5119
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are delusional Oiler fans betting their life savings/houses on a cup win yet?

Spector should back up his words by putting down a nice big sum on his darlings.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2023, 07:41 AM   #5120
Jaybo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
I honestly think that anyone that thinks McPoints is the best player because of "points" should have a flag next to their username so I know the rest of their hockey takes are certainly questionable.
You have to define "best" to have this discussion. Is the best player the one who skates the fastest and puts up the most points with most of them coming on the power play and is exciting to watch? If so, David McConnor is your guy.

Is the best player the best all-around player who is strong both offensively and defensively, does all the little things needed to win, and is a proven leader who has taken his team to the Cup? If so, then MacKinnon or Crosby (or possibly Bergeron or Stamkos or Ovechkin?) is the best.

Maybe it's just me but if I'm building a team from scratch, I'd take a guy who's won the Cup as the best player over Pavel Bure 2.0, at least right now.
Closed Thread

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good , no good no good , no good no good no good , not f***ing good enough