Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 10:07 PM   #6041
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

not saying the Oilers are gonna make it...just that counting them out because of a 94 point record is kinda silly. Wild Card B will very likely be much lower
Old 01-10-2019, 10:07 PM   #6042
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Palantir are communication devices, not crystal balls for seeing into the future.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:08 PM   #6043
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Oilers are so funny.

The hardest type of player to obtain is a #1 center, and they have a 'generational' (in quotes simply due to the fact that he is young and hasn't proven himself yet in some people's eyes as deserving of that tag) one in McDavid.

Any competent organization with McDavid would be building the talent pool around him, and quite frankly, rather easily turning themselves into a contender. Yet here we are - arguing about a hypothetical McDavid trade in order to 'save' a franchise from itself. Year after year, the Oilers are becoming a LESS talented team, and distancing themselves from becoming a perennial playoff team, much less a bona fide contender.

Year after year, the Calgary Flames - without a single #1 overall pick, and only 1 single top 5 pick - have been increasing their talent pool and have come closer to becoming a bona fide contender. How close they really are is debatable to some, but what is not debatable is that Calgary has been doing a heck of a lot more with their draft picks, signings and trades. There is no generational player on Calgary, though Gaudreau is a damn fine player in this league.

Instead of being the Pittsburgh Penguins, the Oilers mostly resemble.. well... the Oilers, since there really is no comparably terrible team that has had such an elite talent in the organization before. I can't think of a single team off the top of my head. Not one.

I used to hate the Oilers because they were undeservedly good (if you follow history and how they entered the NHL), and how they used to beat up on the Flames both on the scoreboard and physically on the ice. Now I enjoy watching their games with such chiadenfreude, it makes me gitty.

A McDavid trade would garner the Oilers a complete franchise-altering accumulation of assets. However, I fully trust them to completely piss them away just like they have done in the last decade.

Nothing can save the Oilers. A franchise generational player didn't save the Oilers. A bevy of inexperienced and experienced coaches didn't save the Oilers. Nothing that this organization does will save themselves. They are paying for their previous cups that they have won - not for winning them, but for how they built the team that won them. May they continue to provide a lot of giggles to us Flames fans, even though they won tonight.

I still hate them, but I look forward to their games with glee, but they do cause me some pain. My gut can't stand 3 periods of laughing any longer. I must have pulled something during the last San Jose - Oilers game.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 10:08 PM   #6044
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Palantir are communication devices, not crystal balls for seeing into the future.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:20 PM   #6045
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Okay which two teams in the Wild Card race are getting 94+ points?
The ones that still play the Oilers.
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 10:49 PM   #6046
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cup parade back on!
Old 01-10-2019, 11:01 PM   #6047
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Cup parade back on!
Caller on CHED: "McDavid, Draisaitl, Da Nuge and Nurse are awesome. What can Hitch do to get more out of the bottom-six and turn the Oilers into a playoff team?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 01-10-2019, 11:25 PM   #6048
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was watching the OT, and had to laugh when McDavid wound up from below his own blueline and attempted to just fly past everyone all by himself, looking ridiculous once he was caught and forced to go behind the Panthers net. That's like an instruction video of his entire gameplan. If nothing else works, go for a skate.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:52 PM   #6049
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

When you can take the Panthers to OT and win in the shootout you know you’re just one or two pieces away. Time to start acquiring those rentals before the market gets thin at the deadline.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 12:20 AM   #6050
badger89
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
The Oilers are so funny.

The hardest type of player to obtain is a #1 center, and they have a 'generational' (in quotes simply due to the fact that he is young and hasn't proven himself yet in some people's eyes as deserving of that tag) one in McDavid.

Any competent organization with McDavid would be building the talent pool around him, and quite frankly, rather easily turning themselves into a contender. Yet here we are - arguing about a hypothetical McDavid trade in order to 'save' a franchise from itself. Year after year, the Oilers are becoming a LESS talented team, and distancing themselves from becoming a perennial playoff team, much less a bona fide contender.

Year after year, the Calgary Flames - without a single #1 overall pick, and only 1 single top 5 pick - have been increasing their talent pool and have come closer to becoming a bona fide contender. How close they really are is debatable to some, but what is not debatable is that Calgary has been doing a heck of a lot more with their draft picks, signings and trades. There is no generational player on Calgary, though Gaudreau is a damn fine player in this league.

Instead of being the Pittsburgh Penguins, the Oilers mostly resemble.. well... the Oilers, since there really is no comparably terrible team that has had such an elite talent in the organization before. I can't think of a single team off the top of my head. Not one.

I used to hate the Oilers because they were undeservedly good (if you follow history and how they entered the NHL), and how they used to beat up on the Flames both on the scoreboard and physically on the ice. Now I enjoy watching their games with such chiadenfreude, it makes me gitty.

A McDavid trade would garner the Oilers a complete franchise-altering accumulation of assets. However, I fully trust them to completely piss them away just like they have done in the last decade.

Nothing can save the Oilers. A franchise generational player didn't save the Oilers. A bevy of inexperienced and experienced coaches didn't save the Oilers. Nothing that this organization does will save themselves. They are paying for their previous cups that they have won - not for winning them, but for how they built the team that won them. May they continue to provide a lot of giggles to us Flames fans, even though they won tonight.

I still hate them, but I look forward to their games with glee, but they do cause me some pain. My gut can't stand 3 periods of laughing any longer. I must have pulled something during the last San Jose - Oilers game.
Maybe the Islanders with Tavares. But the Oilers have taken it to a whole other level.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:12 AM   #6051
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Caller on CHED: "McDavid, Draisaitl, Da Nuge and Nurse are awesome. What can Hitch do to get more out of the bottom-six and turn the Oilers into a playoff team?"
Beers on a train! I'm surprised gully hasn't suggested it yet.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:20 AM   #6052
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post

The Oilers remind me of the Calgary Stampeders after Wally Buono left and before John Hufnagel took over (2003-2007). The football decisions were horrible and the team wasn't being run like a football team but like a toy for the owner and his family.

The Oiler's owner and his family are running this team like a toy... the owner is not hiring mangers for their management skills, but rather he's hiring his boyhood hockey idols for his own ego and so he can hang out with them and impress them. It's a classical mid-life crisis scenario.

So the Oilers... just like the Stampeders, can be saved... they just need to cure the real cause of their problems and not just go after some fringe symptom and/or scapegoat excuse. In 2005, the Stampeder's owner sold the team to what has now become the Calgary Sports and Entertainment Corporation (formerly Calgary Flames Limited Partnership). They quickly cleaned house of all ineffective management and started running the team like an actual football team. In Edmonton.... you need Katz to do the same, he doesn't necessarily have to sell the team, but he needs to purge all (or most) of the management team, and rid the team of all his former idols (and I mean ALL). The problem with having subordinates as idols is that you don't really manage them, you let them convince you that the problems lie elsewhere and they really control you (Katz).

After the purge, Katz needs to step away from all day to day operations and let his new management team run the team like an actaul hockey team. His boy can't greet new draft picks on draft day - that's not stepping away, his entire family needs to step away. Only then... can the Edmonton Oilers begin to recover and win again - just like the Stamps did. It's a hard lesson to learn, but they can be saved, but not until these drastic measures are taken.

Last edited by JackIsBack; 01-11-2019 at 07:22 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JackIsBack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 07:44 AM   #6053
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsBack View Post
The problem with having subordinates as idols is that you don't really manage them, you let them convince you that the problems lie elsewhere and they really control you (Katz).

Oh.... and if you need proof of this, look no further then that press conference posted here by Textcritic (posted below again). We all joke about how lame MacT and Lowe's excuses are during that presser... but there is only one person who they needed to convince (Katz), and they did just that, they also convinced many Oilers fans along the way, and that's because they all have one thing in common - they idolized them when they were younger (MacT, Lowe, Gretzky, etc.). I mean come on - who in their right mind would ever think that the problems with the Oilers today has anything to do with the fact that they won championships over 25 years ago... it's just nonsensical.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:44 AM   #6054
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

^ why are you trying to fix the Oilers????

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 07:49 AM   #6055
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
^ why are you trying to fix the Oilers????

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Human nature.... or more like man nature.... some boys like to fix things that are broken. Will they listen..... I don't think so.

I remember getting so mad at the Stamps for falling into the exact same trap... it only took the Stamps about 5 years to get out.... the Oilers have been in the trap for well over a decade and counting.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:29 AM   #6056
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsBack View Post
Human nature.... or more like man nature.... some boys like to fix things that are broken. Will they listen..... I don't think so.

I remember getting so mad at the Stamps for falling into the exact same trap... it only took the Stamps about 5 years to get out.... the Oilers have been in the trap for well over a decade and counting.
Those were glorious years for the Stamps.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:36 AM   #6057
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Those were glorious years for the Stamps.

Hiring Matt Dunigan to coach... I remember watching what Matt did as a coach and was just speechless as I was thinking "who would do that, that makes no sense at all". Probably the worst coach I have seen in any sport - I would be better, and that's saying a lot.
The Following User Says Thank You to JackIsBack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 08:40 AM   #6058
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay, less talk about the Stamps, less talk about fixing the Oilers. Check the thread you're in people
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 08:48 AM   #6059
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

Hate to be pedantic, but the plural of Palantir is Palantiri.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:49 AM   #6060
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

that video is one of the funniest, dumbest things i have ever seen in sport.

I still put it on, during bad days, just to brighten my mood a bit.
Closed Thread